Sign in with
Your question

not sure what a good title is..router networking ?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 29, 2004 5:55:30 PM

I recently moved into college (University of North Texas, if anyone happens to have experience with their network), and set up my router on the network so I can sit behind it. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with Wifi-box.net Release Version: 2.02.2.1.wfb 01/02/2004 firmware. I set up a static route to the LAN as so:

Operating Mode: Gateway
Destination LAN: xxx.xxx.xxx.0 (my old ip except the last group is now a 0)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (again, the one it wants)
Default Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (what it wants...)
Interface: WAN (Internet)

What I want to happen is to have my computer find LAN games that are running on the school LAN. I want it to search for them past the router, but I'm not real sure how to accomplish this.

Any help, even your Linksys won't do it, is appreciated.

More about : good title router networking

August 30, 2004 5:18:54 AM

depending on what game it is you will most likely have to forward the ports the game needs to run to your computer. You can usually find the required ports under the faqs for the game. Just log into your linksys and find the port forwarding section. It is fairly self explanitory, just enter the port numbers and what ip it is forwarding them to.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
August 30, 2004 4:06:17 PM

I forwarded the port for CS, however it still searches much too quickly for LAN games given the size of the school network.
Related resources
August 30, 2004 4:26:26 PM

how does it "search for LAN games" Is it an application? A web page?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
August 30, 2004 5:55:25 PM

You know, you click on LAN games...right now it only looks at what's behind my router, but I want it to look at the school LAN as well.

Sorry if that wasn't very clear.
August 30, 2004 8:33:06 PM

hm... do you know for a fact that there are people hosting lan games on the network? You may want to risk plugging your computer directly into the school network just to see what the scanning should look like and/or see if there are any servers avaliable.

Forwarding port 27015 should let you see any avaliable games. I can't think of what it could be beyond that. Unless your computer has a software firewall up or something. If you have XP check to make sure your xp firewall is off, xp likes to turn it on for you sometimes :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
August 30, 2004 8:39:04 PM

Quote:
You know, you click on LAN games

actually, no, I don't know. Maybe if I went to your school I'd know. I don't have any "click on lan games" button here with my Verizon DSL. Sorry.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 31, 2004 3:13:27 AM

No, I don't know for a fact that there are people hosting games on the network, and I also don't have a software firewall running. However, I do believe it should take more than a second to search a network of many thousands of computers. (It's taken longer than that to see a LAN game at a LAN party of less than 20...)

Anyway, I've been told by some friends that I need real hardware. As in, an actual router or a managed switch to get firewall type protection while being able to jump right on the LAN. Thoughts on that?
August 31, 2004 8:14:10 AM

I thought you said you're already using an actual router?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 31, 2004 4:06:21 PM

i'm using a linksys router, but if i set it to router instead of gateway i lose my internet connection...i believe my settings are correct...

even when using RIP the router function does not work.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darfur on 08/31/04 12:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 31, 2004 4:24:40 PM

what model? In actuality router and gateway are the same thing. I'd be interested to look at the manual and see what their difference is.

Does it pull an IP address from the campus DHCP server? Or are you assigned a fixed IP?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 31, 2004 6:33:35 PM

It's the linksys WRT54G. It's manual is here ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54gv1.1_ug.pdf

However, I am using modified firmware from the WiFi box project at sourceforge. https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=...

I get it's WAN IP through the school's DHCP, and my pc's mac address is linked to the wall jack i'm plugged into, which is why my pc's MAC is cloned to the router.

I'm not sure if my IP is fixed from this point on, but it is obtained through DHCP.
August 31, 2004 8:33:43 PM

are you sure your PC's MAC address is linked to the wall outlet? Is that in the school policy or something? What happens if you want to switch PC's? Can you ask for a different MAC address?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 31, 2004 8:36:57 PM

Yeah, the MAC is linked to the wall jack. I know of several people who had that problem where resnet had to reset the wall jack status so they could get on.

If *I* have to switch PC's it's not a problem, i just plug into the router which has the MAC address on it the wall jack wants :) 

If my MAC was to change for some reason then I would have to put a request in to resnet for them to reset the status on the wall jack.
September 1, 2004 1:46:55 AM

OK, so even if you're cloning the MAC, the router should still be able to function the same way as if it's not cloning. I don't understand why it's not

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
September 1, 2004 3:54:23 PM

I'm not sure that you understand my question.

Intead of selecting internet games for a game I want to play, I want to be able to select LAN games, and I want it to find LAN games running on the school network with me behind the router.
September 1, 2004 4:02:52 PM

well, I really can't help you there because I don't know what you mean by "find LAN games" - is there something on the web you could point me to that gives an idea of what that is?

It seems like your LAN connection is lacking in some fashion, but I'm not sure what. The usual method to debug that would be to start from the bottom and work your way up the OSI stack - i.e. first try to ping other LAN nodes, then see if your Internet connection is working (port 80 external) then see if you can connect to Microsoft shares on the network (there must be a few of those around) and/or see if you can Telnet/FTP to other nodes on the LAN. But now knowing what this LAN game discovery thing is, I can't tell you where in the debugging picture it would fit.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
September 1, 2004 8:41:56 PM

Alright, maybe I can explain it a little differently. I can ping and access nodes on the school LAN (that I know the IP address of). However, because I'm behind a router, I'm on my own seperate LAN, and the school LAN is seen by my router as the internet. However, it's not the internet, but a LAN, and I want to be able to browse for game servers running on the school LAN without knowing the ip address of the machine.

Is that any clearer?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darfur on 09/01/04 04:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 1, 2004 9:25:16 PM

Quote:
I want to be able to browse for game servers

OK, maybe we're getting somewhere. By "browse" I'm assuming you mean look for other SMB (Microsoft Networking) nodes (computers). So for some reason maybe port 139 and/or 135 are being blocked.

Anyway, can you just do the following from a DOS prompt:

C:\>NET VIEW

and tell me what you get? Anything at all?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
September 1, 2004 11:07:07 PM

Net view returns myself for a host name, but nothing for a remark. I know for a fact (at least across different routers) that netBIOS is blocked/not forwarded.

I finally got a response from my brother on this (who is a network engineer) and he says that broadcast packets probably don't get sent out of the WAN port on the linksys stuff. So I'm probably screwed if I want to use my router...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darfur on 09/01/04 07:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 1, 2004 11:55:18 PM

he's right - you have to unblock 139

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
September 7, 2004 9:30:01 PM

If you are routing you will not find anything on the "LAN games" option in games. Broadcast packets can be forwarded by some routers, but I have no clue if these games send an all-hosts broadcast or not. I'd guess that they also check against the ip net, so you need an ip that is in the same network as the host of the game. If you find out how the game does the search for LAN games we'd might be able to help you better.

---
I want my epitaph to be: "Moved to /dev/null"
!