Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4
PSU: Antec TruePower TP-750 750W
HardDrive: WD Caviar SE16 Hard Drive
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7240S-0B Black
Case: Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case Midsize Tower
CPU Fan: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-pin
Artic Silver thermal paste

I am building a gaming computer. I have selected all of my parts and I would really appreciate opinions on whether all of these parts would work together properly or are the best parts I can choose for around the same prices. Seriously, if you could take the time to help me make sure these parts would work together and that I have all the parts I need I would be very indebted to you. I am pretty certain I have all the parts I need to make a working computer, but I am new to this so I am not entirely sure.

A few of my questions and concerns are:
I was not entirely sure which type of RAM to get, DIMM, SODIMM, SIMM, RIMM but it seems DIMM is what most motherboards use. How can I be sure that the power supply has the correct connectors for all of my different components? Do cables come with the components or do I have to purchase those separately? The power supply I chose says it is SLI certified, that doesn't affect that it will be able to power a single ATI card properly right? Should I get an audio card, if so how do I know my motherboard and power supply will be able to support it and what slot type should I get?

Thank you so much if you respond, I know I am not asking a simple task of you.
April 15, 2010 2:27:24 AM

Looks excellent. Good job.

Power supply - Perfect. Good brand and a great combination of power and price. Could drop down to a 650 to save some money. Can also consider Corsair PSUs.

Ram - That is the right type of Ram. You want DDR3, probably at 1333 speed and preferably below 1.65V. Also latency in the 7-7-7-21 or 8-8-8-24 (or less) range. Consider GSkill ram as well.

Cables come with the components, I rarely have to buy extra.

Audio card - I don't. Onboard has improved a lot, so if you haven't already gotten used to/have a discrete sound card, you won't miss it.

Consider the Antec 300 Illusion. it comes with 2 front fans and often can be found for near the same price as the regular.

What size hard disk is that? Can also consider Seagate and Samsung drives, though WD is certainly a good choice.

Also consider buying the parts from Newegg if in the US.
m
l
April 15, 2010 2:32:46 AM

Go with a Spinpoint F3-it's cheaper, faster, and has more capacity than that WD HD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This G.Skill RAM is about the same price but has better timings. DIMM is generally what you want, dual channel means its faster

There is definitely no need for a sound card unless you explicitly work with audio editing, etc. Definitely not needed for gaming.

Usually components come with the cables needed, as long as you don't choose the OEM versions of them, which ship with just the product. Your PSU will work perfectly fine with your specs, and is actually overkill for a single 5770 GPU. A second 5770 would even be supported under your 750W PSU.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 2:41:51 AM

Ah, good to see the F3's finally staying in stock. Back when i got mine they'd only be in for a few days a month.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2010 6:35:41 AM

EXT64 said:
Ah, good to see the F3's finally staying in stock. Back when i got mine they'd only be in for a few days a month.

Make sure the 955 CPU is the C3 stepping, part number ends with MBOX, rather than IBOX which is the older C2 stepping and runs hotter.
m
l
April 15, 2010 2:44:52 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. If I am unable to afford the X4 I would be able to use any Phenom II in this configuration right? (particularly the Phenom II X2)

Thanks again
m
l
April 15, 2010 4:55:59 PM

Yes, any AM3 socket processor will work (Phenom II, Athlon II, and Sempron 100 Series). If your main focus is gaming, consider an Athlon II triple-core at 2.9 Ghz. The loss of the L3 cache is not a big deal for gaming, and the triple-core at 2.9 (or higher, if you choose to OC it) will perform just as well as the Phenom II X2.

In conclusion, if the Phenom II X4 is out of your budget, consider this Athlon II X3.
m
l
April 15, 2010 5:09:31 PM

The Athlon II only supports 1066 DDR3 RAM. Will the RAM I picked above (at 1366) work with the Athlon II (even if it's at a lower clock rate)?
m
l
April 15, 2010 5:24:52 PM

Sorry, I was looking at the X2 and assumed it was the same for the entire line. So then, for the X2 will the ram you picked work, since its at 1366 and the X2 is at 1066?
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:32:09 PM

Ram always runs fine at slower than rated speed.
m
l
!