Home made water cooling

willzthom

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
hey all i am building a custom water cooling loop with a normal house hold radiator i know the mixed metals etc

just wondering will my pump be ok to push the fluid through 4 meters of copper tubing

the pump i have got is a swiftech mcp655

hose and fittings is 1/2" and the copper tubing is 15mm

the house hold rad is only a 300m x 400mm little thing just to test to see how things go

if the swiftech cant hold up to its job has anyone had any experience with Eheim pumps as i seen one that can push 3400 L/H

Willz Thom

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I have to agree it won't do the job needed, 90% of the heat loss from a household radiator is actually convection from naturally occuring airflow whilst hot, i always think of a rad for the pc as more of a heat exchanger because of the design of it rather than a radiator

willzthom

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hey all sorry for long reply all is good up and running here in the uk weather is crap in the cabbin house so thats why i am using a normal house radiator in the cabbin

my cpu is only a little i3 3220T temps are way low though

using CPUID HW
core #0 value 21c min 16c max 34
core #1 value 14c min 10c max 27
package value 22c min 17c max 34

Meoricin

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Is it only cooling the i3? I ask because I recently rebuilt my loop, and forgot to plug the pump in when I put it back together after testing.

The only reason it overheated at all was that my GPU started burning up. I'm convinced that the i3 by itself could have sat at 20c above ambient all day long, even on my relatively small loop.

Also, are those temps from idle, or under load?

Finally - is your room really colder than 10c?

TL;DR
It's not the radiator that's cooling - it's just that it's being passively cooled by the sheer amount of water. Like adding a big heatsink, but less efficient.