Sign in with
Your question

Fans for Radiator Heatsinks

Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2010 3:54:56 AM

very simple question, with what appears to be a not so clear answer.

What type of fan (or fans if 2 different types are the go) are the ideal setup for Radiator Style heatsinks. Think a push/pull setup.

Noctua NF-P12-1300 is a slow moving fan that is designed for heatsinks.
Scythe Gentle Typhoon is also slowish moving, but moves alot more air, it may (i dont know really) not be so well suited to heatsinks.

Basically, if i go get a say, Prolimatech Megahalems whats the best fans (or a list of them) to strap on for an ideal push/pull setup?

a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2010 10:32:24 AM

gmak said:
very simple question, with what appears to be a not so clear answer.

What type of fan (or fans if 2 different types are the go) are the ideal setup for Radiator Style heatsinks. Think a push/pull setup.

Noctua NF-P12-1300 is a slow moving fan that is designed for heatsinks.
Scythe Gentle Typhoon is also slowish moving, but moves alot more air, it may (i dont know really) not be so well suited to heatsinks.

Basically, if i go get a say, Prolimatech Megahalems whats the best fans (or a list of them) to strap on for an ideal push/pull setup?

Only advice I can give is, make sure that you use 2 identical fans. If fans have differing CFM ratings they can actually disrupt airflow across the heat fins.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful, and if you already knew this, sorry I wasn't helpful at all!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2010 2:59:17 PM

The Noctua NF-P12-1300 is a high static pressure fan. The means it is better designed to push air through tightly packed(close fins, and also good for water cooled radiators). The other fan looks to be designed for quiet(the NF-P12 is also very quiet). I can not comment on its static pressure of the Scythe without doing some looking(it appears the 120mm one has 7 blades vs the 9 on the Noctua one)..

Some heatsinks are designed for low airflow or even passive use have lots of space between the fins so do not require lots of pressure and show no advantage from high static pressure.

As above, sorry if this is not what you are looking for.

EDIT

If it means anything SPCR got good results with a low speed 7 blade fan from that heat sink.
m
l
!