Last response: in Memory
December 25, 2010 8:03:43 AM

my specs:
i5-760
Radeon HD5850
MSI p55-cd53 motherboard
WD CG 1TB 7200rpm HDD
RX 730ss psu

i recenly installed the Corsair 4gb(2x2gb) ram from 4gb(1x4gb), because i was told that some mb works more efficiently with dual memory sticks, and i5-760 utilize dual ram also. i mainly changed it because it was restarting itself occasionally. after i changed it, so far it hasnt restarted itself (has been 12 hours so far).
however, it did not seem to improve the overall performance...it is pretty laggy...at least noticeable from my previous 4gb single stick...
the new ram(2x2GB) sticks are installed on DIMM1 and 3(colored black). the mb has DIMM 2 and 4 in blue, which im actually not entirely sure what the differences are...and the mb manual did not specify.

anyone can shine some light on this subject?
thanks!
a c 128 } Memory
December 25, 2010 12:50:43 PM

I set my cpu fsb to 160 to get the ram running at 1600. If your ram is already showing 800 using cpuz, then you're fine. Mine also shows 1600 on MSI's post screen.
m
l
December 25, 2010 6:22:00 PM

o1die said:
I set my cpu fsb to 160 to get the ram running at 1600. If your ram is already showing 800 using cpuz, then you're fine. Mine also shows 1600 on MSI's post screen.

sorry...what is FSB?
and do i do this in the bios screen?

thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 } Memory
December 25, 2010 9:08:11 PM

Cpu fsb is a setting in the motherboard bios. Try the upper right hand section. This may overclock the cpu, but the performance increase is noticable. It may run well, may not. Worth a try.
m
l
December 26, 2010 6:44:14 AM

o1die said:
Cpu fsb is a setting in the motherboard bios. Try the upper right hand section. This may overclock the cpu, but the performance increase is noticable. It may run well, may not. Worth a try.

is that necessary tho? that means i will need to overclock my cpu, which im actually trying to avoid...

i looked into the bios today, and it says that my rams are only running at 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz...is there way i can set it to 1600mhz without OC?
m
l
December 26, 2010 10:51:03 AM

Some motherboards prefer one couple of those black/blue slots for better performance.For example,my system wouldn't boot up when the rams are on (say) black slots but it does when on blue.This is noted in the manual though,in my case.(Asus P7P55DE-Deluxe) If your previous sticks were installed to blues,than I say install the new ones to the blues as well.If the previous ones were at the blacks,than it should be fine in theory.
By the performance issue,if you mean that there's no noticable performance boost to previous,I think it is kinda normal.If your other components are old and you're experiencing lag by say,games,than replacing a single 4GB ram to double 2GB rams would not make much difference.I'm not an expert but I wouldn't expect it actually.
However,if you are saying that your previous ram DID perform BETTER,than it becomes a case that my knowledge can't handle.

Best of luck =)
m
l
a c 128 } Memory
December 26, 2010 12:27:25 PM

Check for memory multipliers. My Msi board had settings ranging from 3 to 5. I set mine at 5 to lock in the ram at 1600 but this still required cpu fsb at 160. I actually got 1600 with some old 1066 ram mixed with new 1600 without any voltage increases. You have to play with the settings. Your board will reboot eventually if the post screen doesn't appear right away. The bios tests itself before posting. It will tell you when the overclock fails, and you can re-enter the bios to fix it. I've been running this way for days now; my system displays no sign of lock ups, bluescreens or random reboots. I am normally a very cautious overclocker myself, but will leave these settings alone. In summer, when temps rise, it may display some problems. But I will replace it anyway within 3 years. I live near frys.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 26, 2010 5:56:27 PM

On memory issue. The 1333 is a default setting. Download CPUID CPU-Z, install and run. There is a tab that will show you speed and CL ratings that you are running at. There is also a tab that will show you different settings.

In your BIOS under memory look for a setting that you can change to "Use XMP, or Use Profile 1 or 2). I have a gigabyte MB so a little diff., but here is what I initially did. Changed RAM to use XMP, profile 1 (which was the 1600 CL 7setting). rebooted. It auto changed my FSB to 160 MHz (as oldie indicated) BUT it also knocked the CPU multiplier down so that the CPU was still at stock rated ).

On overclocking the CPU, the I5 -750/760 is a great processor to Overclock and rather easy. Should be able to get it to run at 3.2 -> 3.4 without increasing your vcore voltage. I've beedn running at 3.2 Ghz for over a year (Have checked mine for stability at 3.8 GHZ - Runs great. I just increased the FSB to 200 MHz and use a multiplier of 16 and when I want 3.8 I just increase the Multiplier to 19. But also raised my vcore slightly). Gigabyte has a utility that I initially used that put me in the ballpark.
December 27, 2010 1:31:49 AM

RetiredChief said:
On memory issue. The 1333 is a default setting. Download CPUID CPU-Z, install and run. There is a tab that will show you speed and CL ratings that you are running at. There is also a tab that will show you different settings.

In your BIOS under memory look for a setting that you can change to "Use XMP, or Use Profile 1 or 2). I have a gigabyte MB so a little diff., but here is what I initially did. Changed RAM to use XMP, profile 1 (which was the 1600 CL 7setting). rebooted. It auto changed my FSB to 160 MHz (as oldie indicated) BUT it also knocked the CPU multiplier down so that the CPU was still at stock rated ).

On overclocking the CPU, the I5 -750/760 is a great processor to Overclock and rather easy. Should be able to get it to run at 3.2 -> 3.4 without increasing your vcore voltage. I've beedn running at 3.2 Ghz for over a year (Have checked mine for stability at 3.8 GHZ - Runs great. I just increased the FSB to 200 MHz and use a multiplier of 16 and when I want 3.8 I just increase the Multiplier to 19. But also raised my vcore slightly). Gigabyte has a utility that I initially used that put me in the ballpark.

do you have any heating issues? do i need to get a new cpu fan for cooler and quieter performance?
thanks.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 27, 2010 2:20:34 AM

With my I5-750 @3.2 GHz my idle temp is between 30 -> 32 C, My load temp is 49/50 C. Mind you that is with the House @ 68 F (winter) during the summur monthes I run about 5 C hotter which is still no problem.

To check temps I run HDMonitor and prime 95 blend test - only need to run for about 10 min to check temps.

As to HSF - I hate the stock intel HSF. Do not even install it. I always order a after market cooler for the build. There are several good ones for around $ 30. Myself I like the zalman solid copper base (It's more expensive, and from what I've seen no better - just my preference and I like the back plate - no push pins). The stock intel HSF is at the bottom of the list in terms of performance and The push pins suck!!.
m
l
December 27, 2010 6:40:04 AM

RetiredChief said:
With my I5-750 @3.2 GHz my idle temp is between 30 -> 32 C, My load temp is 49/50 C. Mind you that is with the House @ 68 F (winter) during the summur monthes I run about 5 C hotter which is still no problem.

To check temps I run HDMonitor and prime 95 blend test - only need to run for about 10 min to check temps.

As to HSF - I hate the stock intel HSF. Do not even install it. I always order a after market cooler for the build. There are several good ones for around $ 30. Myself I like the zalman solid copper base (It's more expensive, and from what I've seen no better - just my preference and I like the back plate - no push pins). The stock intel HSF is at the bottom of the list in terms of performance and The push pins suck!!.

haha...well its already on it...so far so good, my temp is the same as yours. i actually bought a separate HSF, but it did not fit in the case lol
i will probably find one for the summer...
m
l
December 27, 2010 6:40:14 AM

Best answer selected by joshyua.
m
l
!