APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: end of April 2010

BUDGET RANGE: $1100-1200 BEFORE rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, movie editing, home office

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (future upgrade?)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet would be nice. Longevity before upgrade is important.

Here is what I’m currently looking at:
CPU: Intel i5-750 ($200)
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro ($190)
Memory: 4GB g. skill ripjaws DDR3 1600 ($110)
Graphics: ATI Radeon 5850-based 1GB card ($300-310) – XFX, Sapphire, or Visiontek; depends on site, rebates, day of week, etc., unless someone has a strong opinion on an OEM/model.
HDD: 500GB ($50)
ODD: DVD-RW ($30)
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 ($90)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W ($70) - [should I go higher?, if so Corsair 650W?]

I considered the AMD route:
CPU: Phenom II 965 BE ($185)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe ($165)

Assuming I can use the g. skill memory (or similar) with the AMD build, the question then remains if the performance of the Intel CPU is worth the extra $40. I not too concerned with the performance, nor the $40, but I am wondering if one path or the other is better for longevity and/or future upgrades.

Thoughts?
April 15, 2010 6:00:58 AM

Most of my friends have the AMD 965 CPU and they don't have any problems with it.
You concern about longevity has nothing to do with brand, but with how you take care of the equipment and luck actually. You can buy something new today and it can last 4 years or 4 hours.

I would go a little higher on the PSU if you are going to SLI or crossfire later on. That way you would have spent the money now and wouldn't have to again in the future.

Other than that, the AMD Intel decisions is up to you as the Intel proc performs slightly better than the AMD, but not by that much.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-cha...[2884]=on&prod[2780]=on

So in my opinion, it is a good build either way you choose.
m
l
April 15, 2010 6:10:20 AM

vphanse said:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: end of April 2010

BUDGET RANGE: $1100-1200 BEFORE rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, movie editing, home office

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (future upgrade?)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet would be nice. Longevity before upgrade is important.

Here is what I’m currently looking at:
CPU: Intel i5-750 ($200)
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro ($190)
Memory: 4GB g. skill ripjaws DDR3 1600 ($110)
Graphics: ATI Radeon 5850-based 1GB card ($300-310) – XFX, Sapphire, or Visiontek; depends on site, rebates, day of week, etc., unless someone has a strong opinion on an OEM/model.
HDD: 500GB ($50)
ODD: DVD-RW ($30)
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 ($90)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W ($70) - [should I go higher?, if so Corsair 650W?]

I considered the AMD route:
CPU: Phenom II 965 BE ($185)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe ($165)

Assuming I can use the g. skill memory (or similar) with the AMD build, the question then remains if the performance of the Intel CPU is worth the extra $40. I not too concerned with the performance, nor the $40, but I am wondering if one path or the other is better for longevity and/or future upgrades.

Thoughts?

I would strongly recommend against the 965 BE. The 955 BE C3 stepping (MBOX) can be immediately clocked the 3.4 GHz by simply raising the multiplier from 16x to 17x without any modification to the vCore and has no adverse effect on cooling.

I know you said you weren't interested in Overclocking, but I can say without doubt that even a novice or timid user can gain equal performance from a 955 that costs 163.00 on newegg.com.

It is something to consider. Other than that like soundefx said, either build would be fine. I suggest if you do go the AMD route you get a 955. Make sure its the C3 stepping, they run cooler than the pervious C2 stepping. Easiest way to identify a C3 stepping is the part number ends with MBOX, rather than IBOX.

m
l
!