I have recently build my rig:
CPU: 2500K
GPU: GIGABYTE 7870
CASE: COOLERMASTER 690
PSU: COOLERMASTER GX 600W
RAM: CORSAIR 8 GB 1600Mhz
COOLER: COOLERMASTER 612A

CM fanboy much ? lol

I'm currently looking to overclock my CPU (Ideally to 4.5Ghz+). Now at stock frequency and voltage I get around 20c idle (browsing ect.) and around 50c Load (PRIME95) - Small ffts. I have found a guide but it recommends 1.35 VCORE. But because the max voltage i see on my 2500k (using CPUZ) is around 1.160. And from research thats below the average, does this mean its a bit of a overclocking gem ?

- Thanks for reading, i appreciate any and all replies.

jaytee95

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

I realize that but i was wondering whether the low voltage at stock frequency could be an indicator of a good oc'er. ?

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I have the same processor and use cpu-z as well, but people have told me that it is inaccurate in reading the precise voltages. However, it does get you a good idea on the rough estimate on what the voltage is running at. Every chip is different with overclocking. You cant just run in and take someones settings and input, and expect it to just be stable. With prime95, dont just run the small fft's, when or if you feel like that you have a reached a good clock and voltage, run the blend test for around 10-12 hrs. Everyone has a different opinion on how long to run these tests, so just research and come up with a conclusion on your own.
It is a low voltage, especially when the voltage stock is around 1.355 (If I remember correctly). However, I dont believe that is entirely accurate. If you have the cstates, eist functions on auto, it will fluctuate your voltage automatically during times of load and idle. So that may have something to do with it. During testing and overclocking, in my research people have said to disable these functions, causing the cpu to run at the full voltage set in the vcore for testing. After you have achieved a stable overclock, you can either turn these back on, or set an offset (more advised than returning back to auto) to regulate the load/idle voltages.