• Intel
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2010 7:15:05 AM

Was thinking of this setup?

Intel Core i7 930 CPU

Asus P6T SE i7 Intel X58 1366 Motherboard

6GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL8 240-Pin DIMM Kit XMP (Kingston)(I don't know much about these brands and whose good. is Kingston good? any suggestions?)

(Already have this) 2x5670 ATI Radeon graphic cards

(Already have this) Only a 500 watt power supply. Will this be able to handle the 2 5670's? I know they don't require much power. They don't even need to be directly connected to the power supply. Let me know if this is not enough. I don't want to take any chances.

500gb HD

(Already have this) Windows 7

Antec 900 mid-tower case

Optical Drive

Anything I'm missing or anything you'd suggest changing let me know. Thanks

More about : building gaming 600 900

a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 8:14:18 AM

Knight_91 said:
Was thinking of this setup?

Intel Core i7 930 CPU

Asus P6T SE i7 Intel X58 1366 Motherboard

6GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL8 240-Pin DIMM Kit XMP (Kingston)(I don't know much about these brands and whose good. is Kingston good? any suggestions?)

(Already have this) 2x5670 ATI Radeon graphic cards

(Already have this) Only a 500 watt power supply. Will this be able to handle the 2 5670's? I know they don't require much power. They don't even need to be directly connected to the power supply. Let me know if this is not enough. I don't want to take any chances.

500gb HD

(Already have this) Windows 7

Antec 900 mid-tower case

Optical Drive

Anything I'm missing or anything you'd suggest changing let me know. Thanks

I think everything but your Xfired 5670s is awesome. Why bottleneck at the GPU when your system is so far above them? Maybe you got them on sale or a friend upgraded?
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:31:35 AM

cmcghee358 said:
I think everything but your Xfired 5670s is awesome. Why bottleneck at the GPU when your system is so far above them? Maybe you got them on sale or a friend upgraded?

got the 1st one on sale, and the 2nd from a friend upgrading lol. I wanted to keep these for now because of the ridiculous prices for graphic cards =/ a definite upgrade in the future tho when more $ is coming in ;) 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 8:34:58 AM

Knight_91 said:
got the 1st one on sale, and the 2nd from a friend upgrading lol. I wanted to keep these for now because of the ridiculous prices for graphic cards =/ a definite upgrade in the future tho when more $ is coming in ;) 

Wow spooky guess huh? THen yeah your system build looks good. Obviously as you know GPU upgrade in the future!
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:37:06 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Wow spooky guess huh? THen yeah your system build looks good. Obviously as you know GPU upgrade in the future!

Yes! Would you know about the power supply tho? I'm a little worried about trying to crossfire the cards with only 500 watts
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 8:43:04 AM

Knight_91 said:
Yes! Would you know about the power supply tho? I'm a little worried about trying to crossfire the cards with only 500 watts

Amazingly I have nothing better to do than look this up for you, no sarcasm intended. Im sitting at work bored at 2 AM hoping all my thread get responses so I can be entertained with discussion.

Can I get the brand/make of the PSU as that will be important to evaluate its voltages.

Be back with an answer soon!
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:45:40 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Amazingly I have nothing better to do than look this up for you, no sarcasm intended. Im sitting at work bored at 2 AM hoping all my thread get responses so I can be entertained with discussion.

Can I get the brand/make of the PSU as that will be important to evaluate its voltages.

Be back with an answer soon!

Lol alright. I'm glad your bored lol =P this is the 2nd time I've posted this cause the last one sat there all day w/out any replies

This is my power supply: http://www.frys.com/product/5086635?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:49:41 AM

I'm not a green freak BTW ;)  lol. That's just the one the guy suggested that was best for the price lol
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 8:51:49 AM

Knight_91 said:
Lol alright. I'm glad your bored lol =P this is the 2nd time I've posted this cause the last one sat there all day w/out any replies

This is my power supply: http://www.frys.com/product/5086635?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

Here's what Ive found:

The PCI-E slot gives 75W power per slot maximum. The TDP of the 5670 is ~60W + 10% for headroom/efficiency meaning ~66W. (thats at peak btw)

66Wx2=132W for both cards. I dont see why that wouldnt work on a 500W PSU!
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:55:59 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Here's what Ive found:

The PCI-E slot gives 75W power per slot maximum. The TDP of the 5670 is ~60W + 10% for headroom/efficiency meaning ~66W. (thats at peak btw)

66Wx2=132W for both cards. I dont see why that wouldnt work on a 500W PSU!

Alright cool. The other hardware won't use up too much and make it risky for the 500w by adding that extra 66watts? That case has quite a few fans to power as well
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 8:59:12 AM

Knight_91 said:
Alright cool. The other hardware won't use up too much and make it risky for the 500w by adding that extra 66watts? That case has quite a few fans to power as well

If you want I can run all your stuff through a PSU Calculator, but I'm pretty confident you'll be fine. Like I said, I really have nothing better to do!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 9:04:21 AM

I ran all your info through the PSU Calculator and came up with 306W. I guesstimated your fans, at 3x120mm LED Fan, 3x80mm Fan.

I think all in all, you should be fine to run your rig. Enjoy!
m
l
April 15, 2010 9:05:00 AM

cmcghee358 said:
If you want I can run all your stuff through a PSU Calculator, but I'm pretty confident you'll be fine. Like I said, I really have nothing better to do!

Lol =P ya sure if you want to that'd be cool
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2010 9:09:59 AM

Knight_91 said:
Lol =P ya sure if you want to that'd be cool

Well I just ran it through the calculator, the results are up above. If you are satisified go head and mark this as solved. Maybe some other people will wake up in the other threads for me! 4 hours to go!
April 15, 2010 9:12:54 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Well I just ran it through the calculator, the results are up above. If you are satisified go head and mark this as solved. Maybe some other people will wake up in the other threads for me! 4 hours to go!

Wow sweet!!

Lol sry that sucks. Only reason I'm up this late is because of a damn test tomorrow lol =P

Thanks alot! You've been very helpful!
m
l
April 15, 2010 9:15:48 AM

Best answer selected by Knight_91.
m
l
!