Sign in with
Your question

Help I can't seem to upgrade my nvidia graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2010 3:13:42 AM

Hello Everyone!
I bought these 2 cards today, they are both nVidea Geforce 8400 GS. 512 DDR2.

I plugged one into my ASUS P5LP-LE Board which originally had the 8300 GS card, not much of an upgrade but that one only had 128MB RAM and this one has 512. Anyway I unplugged the 8300 PCI Express and plugged in the 8400 PCI, plugged in the cable, booted up and no video. Hmmm I said to myself? It has to be something simple, maybe I have to unplug the RAM or something. So I unplugged both ram and video plugged both back in, booted up and still no video. Then I plugged in both cards, plugged the cable into the original PCIEx card and it booted up just fine. So then I figured I'd try to install the software for the new card and give that a shot. I then restarted the machine switched the cable to the new card and still no video. Feeling defeated thinking maybe it's my board or Vista or who knows what. I tried the other 8400 PCI on my XP Pro machine which is an IntelĀ® Desktop Board D845EPI which originally just had an ordinary integrated VGA. So I plugged in the cable to the new card on that machine and guess what, no video. I can hear windows boot up but still get a blank screen. Ugh!

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? This is getting frustrating.

Thanks

BeauDontKnow
March 24, 2010 3:29:31 AM

It is seeing your original card as the default Video card.
You will have to enable the additional displays in the Control Panel Display Settings.
Here is a visual tutorial using XP.

Enable Multiple Monitors in Windows XP
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 3:50:54 AM

Go into your motherboard's BIOS and disable onboard graphics. See if it works after that. If it doesn't, you can try resetting your CMOS:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...
Scroll down that page and you'll find a section that'll help you on resetting the CMOS. Report back with the results.
m
l
!