Sign in with
Your question

Blue screens only in games

Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2011 12:35:56 AM

help i have a less than 2 month old pc having blue screens while in game memtest said ram was fine new hard drive fresh install works fine besides just random blue screens i recently switched from on board to an hd 6870 hawk msi card and new powersupply worked great for a week now blue screens that have me stumped ive been thinking the power supply i bought is junk but no real way to test it cause i get stable high framerates in game no overheating then screen goes blank then blue screen reboot lol im stumped at this one help!

More about : blue screens games

October 25, 2011 1:20:07 AM

downloading the new ones but i was just operating off install cd for now to see but those where crashing before but in gonna try again and make sure
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 1:42:31 AM

Drivers off CD's are usually outdated by the time you install them. That's why it's better to get the latest drivers from the website.
m
l
October 25, 2011 3:28:13 AM

If it only happens in games it's an indication of either the PSU not supplying enough power, or the GPU is unstable in some way. Is your GPU overclocked at all? How about your CPU? What PSU do you have?
m
l
October 25, 2011 4:23:06 AM

i have a 1090t six core amd 3.2 ghz 3.7 turbo i have 8g 1600 mhz ddr3 ram win 7 64 and power supply i have is a best buy corsair gs700. nothing is over clocked all drivers are up todate gpu withstands stress testing stable at 100% gpu load 69C so not to hot im truely stumped but my best guess is the power supply is dropping voltage
m
l
October 25, 2011 5:54:42 AM

How about CPU temps?
m
l
October 25, 2011 6:32:21 AM

Never use the drivers that come with your video cards. They should just stop adding them in the boxes altogether. Your psu is fine. Corsair makes a great product and you have almost enough power with that to run 2x 6870s.

I agree it's probably a driver issue.
m
l
October 25, 2011 7:37:01 AM

The only time I've ever seen problems like this, it was due to a faulty video card in a newly built machine. I'm can't say 100% that the card is faulty, but you shouldn't discount he possibility.
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:11:14 PM

right well i should add i took out the video card and ran on internal graphics and it still crashed blue screen and all when i personally know my onboard works fine with old power supply all these problems started with psu and vid card with vid card out its still crashing but never did until i upgraded psu and vid card
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 12:13:57 PM

Check the event viewer for errors. Look in the application, and system logs.
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:25:06 PM

it saves mini dump files but that getting outa my league to be honest mind you no issues until i install new psu and vid card vid card has tested good leaves me with only one choice right imma swap psu out today with a new one from best buy and just check that since its a no cost remedy then will post new results any additional thoughts help!
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:36:37 PM

all my temps are in normal range 55c on cpu in game 65c on vid card these are stable temps also
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 12:43:53 PM

The event viewer is just a running log of system events, application events, and any errors that my occur. If there is an error that is causing the BSOD, it should be logged in the viewer. All you have to do, is look for the red X, and click on it. It's not a dump file.

Updating the video driver is also a free and quick option.

Let us know how the new PSU works out.
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:51:06 AM

new power supply in went for 5 mins in bf3 and blue screen 3b so problem is persistant so far i have already replaced with new harddrive and power supply new cables through out on inside ive re seated my memory memtested all were fine only thing i can thing of is the damn vid card but it still blue screens on onboard video hmmmm something software or cpu or mobo...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 12:58:37 AM

As I said, check the event viewer, and make sure you have the latest drivers.

You may even want to use driver sweeper to remove the old drivers, before updating to the newest ones.
m
l
October 26, 2011 2:18:27 AM

the event log has no problems its fn wierd its like its running fine but ive read online that my mobo has lots of known problems with the chipset so im kinda looking into sending this one back and putting in a new mobo
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 2:39:32 AM

No red X's in the event viewer at all??

Once again, the video drivers.....you seem to keep dismissing this, but outdated video drivers can be a huge cause for these BSOD's.

And before you send the motherboard back, make sure to update the BIOS (if there is one).

You seem to be jumping to drastic measures, and overlooking the simple ones. You may be causing yourself more grief than needed.
m
l
October 26, 2011 3:59:00 AM

all my drivers are up to date the bios isnt i cant get the tool to work on my machine to update them neither can a friend of mine asus is broken atleast the update tools are on top of that this mobo is known for chipset failures and graphics issues plus ive gone through everystep all drivers uninstalls rebooted instal rebooted still same issues im just in need of my pc for work and need the fast fix

my current mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the one i was looking into getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:36:50 AM

UPDATE replaced a mobo with one shown above the old one looked and felt cracked on the memory corner possibly from the case flexing while being moved but never the less problem solved running non overclocked single gpu ati and getting a good avg of 60 fps in bf3! works great but man was it difficult to find out
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:37:36 AM

UPDATE replaced a mobo with one shown above the old one looked and felt cracked on the memory corner possibly from the case flexing while being moved but never the less problem solved running non overclocked single gpu ati and getting a good avg of 60 fps in bf3! works great but man was it difficult to find out what it was thanks for the help fellas!
m
l
!