stupendous

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hello All,

This is my first time building a PC, and I'm a little concerned my PSU won't be enough for everything. The GPU I got is the "XFX HD-577X-ZNFC (Radeon HD 5770)" and it requires a minimum of 450w. The PSU I have right now is 460w (Cooler Master Elite 460W ATX +12V). Is that enough?

I also have in my build:
-AMD Athlon II X4 640
-ASUS AM3 AMD 780L Micro ATX AMD MOBO
-1 Hard Drive
-1 Optical Drive (DVD-RW)

Thanks for your help.

stupendous

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the response. It's a relief to know that it should work. I actually didn't purchase my PSU separately because it came packaged with the tower I got, otherwise I probably would've gone with Corsair after reading people's responses. I will probably eventually upgrade my PSU, but for now, if it should be enough, I am very much relieved.

No problem!
And Welcome to Tom's :)

stupendous

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, as you can imagine, being a newbie, I haven't really used Tom's very much, but it's pretty awesome from what I can tell.

And just to clarify, even though it may have been relabeled to a 460w, will it really be enough for my set-up? I guess I can always just try it out and see if my PC can stay on for extended periods of time. Based on that article, it'd only perform at a 400w level.

Like i said before you're good to go with your current gear.
The psu passed all the test and was actually capable of producing 420W stable on load.
Plus the 5770 is an excellent gpu and doesn't require much power.

stupendous

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

:D Thank you!

stupendous

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Yea, read through it. Quite disappointing, but I'll just try and make due until I absolutely need to upgrade (which may be soon, who knows?). Thanks for your input.