What should i do with my dvd writer

gamer0

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
my dvd writer was working fine but recently i tried to copy some scratchy old dvds, from then its not working properly . when ever i try to copy/ write a dvd it completely lags my pc and takes like 40 min for just a 4 gb dvd to copy/ write. i even tried using lens cleaner disc but no use. do u guys think i should be to repair it some how or should i buy a new one (which i don't want to )? :??:

You can try with cleaning up the lens using a lens cleaner.. Though its better to get a new drive as all have suggested.. BTW, if the media is improper, even a new drive will find it difficult to read.. Its therefore not advisable to expose your drive to bad media as It'll damage the lens..

popatim

Titan
when you tried to read the scratched disk, windows encountered too many read errors and dropped the drive out of DMA mode and back down to PIO.. This is a known issue and all you needed to do was go into the drive properties and re-enable it (device manager>dvd drive properties> advanced settings>click the dropdown for transfer mode and select "DMA if available" ) and then reboot and go back into the device properties and check to see if the setting remained.

Remember, too many errors and windows will drop it out of DMA mode.

Cheers!
Tim

gamer0

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

yea right that y i selected ur answer as best. :D