Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading CPU/MOBO need advice

Last response: in Motherboards
December 25, 2010 9:07:29 PM

Hello all,

I've been wanting to update my CPU and motherboard for some time now to help future proof my rig and was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to CPU's and motherboards so I'm wanting to make sure I make the right decision before I go ahead and purchase.

My current rig is listed below:

HAF 922 Case
Corsair 550w PS
XFX Radeon 5770 GPU
Intel Q6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz stock
ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM MOBO
Seagate 750G HDD
8G (2 sticks of 4G) Kingston DDR2 RAM

As you can see, the MOBO/CPU are the parts that are lagging time-wise. Not to mention that it is apparently very difficult to OC on this board. I would prefer to keep my current RAM and not have to upgrade to DDR3 if possible. I would also like to have the option to OC the CPU for the future, since I plan on using this for gaming/media and want it to last for a while. I was looking at the core i5/i7's for the processors but then became clueless when trying to find the motherboard because they all only supported DDR3 RAM.

Thanks for all the help : )
December 25, 2010 9:21:15 PM

You won't be able to keep your RAM, for all current systems use DDR3.
Your case is fine.
If you want to use you PC for gaming, you will have to up-grade your PSU and your GPU as well.
How much can you spend?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2010 9:30:30 PM

Any LGA775 upgrade would probably be pointless as you already have a quad core and the fastest CPU for that socket was Q9650 (3GHz, only 0.33Ghz faster that what you have) and costs more than newer, better CPUs. I would therefore try to OC what you have as much as possible even if it's not much and wait until you are ready to jump to the new i5/i7 platform (Sandy Bridge will be out next month I think).

If your main concern is gaming, then galta's suggestion of getting a new video card could be good. What games are you playing and at which resolution?
m
l
December 25, 2010 10:48:48 PM

Just build a new system, though there is nothing particularly wrong with your current one even for newish games. Or build a new system slowly.

Something like an ASUS P7H55-M isn't terribly expensive if second hand, and you'll have an i7 ready socket. Of course, the processor will eventually be your biggest expense (i.e. selling a kidney.) But that way you'll have a solid current-gen system; I doubt the 6 and 8 cores which are coming out have architecture optimised for them, and even then, there will be no software which employs those efficiently for sometime.
m
l
!