New Heatsink on an old CPU

goten28

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I just got a new heatsink fan for my old CPU. I already installed the heatsink fan on the cpu but im worried because there was some thermal paste on the CPU before but i didnt clean it or anything and just put the new heatsink fan on it. Is this dangerous? I havent started up the computer yet after installation. Btw, the new heatsink fan came pre applied with thermal paste. Please Please help. :sweat:

I havent started up the computer yet after installation.

Solution
There is a chance the cooling performance will be adversely affected.
I think you really should have cleaned the CPU casing before installing.

But now you might need to clean both the CPU and heatsink, and apply some new thermal compound if the thermal compound pad pre-applied on the heat sink is damaged if you remove it.

Since you already have the new HSF installed you could try running it and monitoring the temps.
Check the CPU temps at idle and during short periods of heavy workload (like gaming). HWMonitor Utility program
There is a chance the cooling performance will be adversely affected.
I think you really should have cleaned the CPU casing before installing.

But now you might need to clean both the CPU and heatsink, and apply some new thermal compound if the thermal compound pad pre-applied on the heat sink is damaged if you remove it.

Since you already have the new HSF installed you could try running it and monitoring the temps.
Check the CPU temps at idle and during short periods of heavy workload (like gaming). HWMonitor Utility program

Solution

goten28

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Thank you. I will boot the computer and check the temperature and then boot on to windows to monitor. Is there any chance of overheating or motherboard melting? I will post my results here soon.

goten28

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Uh... one more thing. After i had installed the heatsink on the CPU as i mentioned above. I was too worried that the CPU will be at risk because of this. SOO i removed the heatsink from the CPU and there WAS some good thermal paste on the CPU. Then i installed the heatsink back. (I am a fool). Is this supposed to make it worst? I still havent booted up the computer.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Playing with heatsinks for the first time can be unsettling. You will not cause any damage, but it FEELS like something really bad could go wrong.
First off, since there was OLD dried out paste left on the cpu, you are going to want to get that stuff off. Take off the new sink and use a paper towel/cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol to wipe clean both the cpu and the headsink sides. Do not apply alcohol directly, put it on the cloth. When the paste is ALL gone, then apply a small amount of new paste and reinstall the heatsink.

goten28

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Yes its my first time assembling a computer. So do i use a regular alcohol? like a vodka or something? Can i cause any damage to the CPU or the heatsink while rubbing off the paste?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

No Smirnoff. Use Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, or pure denatured alcohol, or an expensive thermal paste cleaner (not my choice).
Rubbing alcohol can be found at supermarkets and drug stores for less than $1 per quart.
You will be very gently be rubbing the paste off the cpu, and since it is firmly mounted in its socket, no damage will occur.

goten28

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
OK i cleaned up the thermal paste using the rubbing alcohol. Then applied the new arctic silver thermal paste. I ran the computer and VOILA! its working perfectly. The CPU temperature as its running windows 7 is maximum of 28 degrees Celsius. Thank you for the help.