Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5 3570k 4.2-4.3ghz overclock voltage?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2013 12:03:04 AM

I finally decided to ditch my fx 6100 and buy a real gaming cpu (i5 3570k). And I'm trying to see if I could easily milk a bit more juice from it (some people commented on newegg they could oc at 4.2-4.3 on stock voltage) while not endangering my cpu.

I haven't received it yet, I'm just trying to prepare so I'm able to just put the settings in after I booted for the first time at stock (making sure the stuff works and is not DOA)

Can anyone tell me if that's easily doable (4.2 or 4.3 at stock voltage)?
I bought a cooler master hyper 212 evo and I have a High air flow case at this time for info.

If not, what sucessfull minimum voltage did you guys see?

Also, would I have to disable some power saving features in the bios if I try to oc.
If yes, which one?

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to overclocking, but I know how to navigate into bios so finding where to put what shouldnt give me any trouble, as long as it's not too complicated (hence only playing with multiplier and voltage + disabling or not cpu features).

Thank you for reading and i hope you can give me a few tips for what I wan't to achieve
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2013 12:26:57 AM

I didnt touch my voltage but just increased the multiplier to get 4ghz
Keep it around 1.3v
Score
March 8, 2013 12:47:02 AM

th3_ory said:
I didnt touch my voltage but just increased the multiplier to get 4ghz
Keep it around 1.3v

Have you touched any turbo features and/or power saving features to get to 4.0?
Score
Related resources
a c 912 à CPUs
a c 364 K Overclocking
March 8, 2013 12:48:58 AM

4.6 ghz here at 1.28 volts,max temps mid to high 70's.
Score
March 8, 2013 12:51:10 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
4.6 ghz here at 1.28 volts,max temps mid to high 70's.

Sorry if I sound annoying, but,
Have you touched any turbo features and/or power saving features to get to 4.6 with this voltage?
thanks for answering.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2013 3:22:52 PM

Yes, personally I recommend turning EIST off. It makes your CPU's speed go up and down and up and down. The benefit is that it saves power. Some people think it makes your CPU last longer but that's never been proved. I recommend disabling that and your C states. You don't have too but it makes things less complicated IMO. At 4.3Ghz you shouldn't need more than 1.20-1.25 volts. With the cooler you have you can get to 4.4-4.5Ghz. With my CPU at 4.4Ghz it needs 1.250, at 4.5Ghz it needs 1.295 volts. At 4.6Ghz it needs 1.335Vcore, at 4.7Ghz it needs 1.370 Vcore, and at 4.8Ghz it needs 1.410 Vcore. I've never had my chip at 4.3Ghz but I can imagine what it would take. I would start out with 1.250 Vcore, and if that's stable, then work your way down to 1.240 and then 1.230 until it fails, then move up a notch and you've got your overclock.

BTW, I recommend using Intel Burn In Test for testing for stability. And also run Prime95 to see what your real world max temps will be. IBT gives you extremely high temps so don't really pay too much attention to them as your CPU will never get that hot. As long as you stay around 80c or under in Prime95 and under 95c in IBT you'll be alright. And try to stay around 1.350 Vcore. Maybe a little higher if your cooler can take it. I doubt you'll get past 4.5Ghz with the 212 Evo but you might.
March 8, 2013 5:39:26 PM

ericjohn004 said:
Yes, personally I recommend turning EIST off. It makes your CPU's speed go up and down and up and down. The benefit is that it saves power. Some people think it makes your CPU last longer but that's never been proved. I recommend disabling that and your C states. You don't have too but it makes things less complicated IMO. At 4.3Ghz you shouldn't need more than 1.20-1.25 volts. With the cooler you have you can get to 4.4-4.5Ghz. With my CPU at 4.4Ghz it needs 1.250, at 4.5Ghz it needs 1.295 volts. At 4.6Ghz it needs 1.335Vcore, at 4.7Ghz it needs 1.370 Vcore, and at 4.8Ghz it needs 1.410 Vcore. I've never had my chip at 4.3Ghz but I can imagine what it would take. I would start out with 1.250 Vcore, and if that's stable, then work your way down to 1.240 and then 1.230 until it fails, then move up a notch and you've got your overclock.

BTW, I recommend using Intel Burn In Test for testing for stability. And also run Prime95 to see what your real world max temps will be. IBT gives you extremely high temps so don't really pay too much attention to them as your CPU will never get that hot. As long as you stay around 80c or under in Prime95 and under 95c in IBT you'll be alright. And try to stay around 1.350 Vcore. Maybe a little higher if your cooler can take it. I doubt you'll get past 4.5Ghz with the 212 Evo but you might.

Thank you for those tips, I don't plan going over 4,3. If i get stable with stock voltage (1.2 after searching for it) it would be extremly nice. But like you said it shouldn't be too complicated to use around 1.25 vcore. Would it be any bad If I decided to keep a working voltage and not try to find the breakpoint as long as temps are reasonable and it's stable? Outside of power consumption?

I downloaded prime 27.7 64 bits and the lastest version of intel burn in test 64 bits to get ready when my baby arrives.
I can't wait to compare the difference with my fx 6100. I just hope I'll be happy for a few years with it. ( I changed processors twice before finally deciding to try intel's finest.
Score
March 14, 2013 9:49:48 PM

I got an excellent chip it seems, I took a risk and Oc right off the bat to 4.3 ghz at +0.00000000v (Realtemp shows 1.2v while IBT testing (not on auto). It survived IBT with 75C :D  I think I could oc it more but I probly wont notice much of a diff between something like 4,5 anyways. And it might help keep my cpu for longer.
Score
March 15, 2013 12:05:43 PM

I have same chip, and I'm overclocking mine to 4.2ghz, stock voltage with a True Spirit 120 cooler. Prime95 highest is 65c after an hour. I could easily overclock more, but as you said, what's the point? Probably won't notice the difference. From 3.4 stock to 4.2 is a massive jump in itself. I'm happy with that. ;) 
Score
a c 912 à CPUs
a c 364 K Overclocking
March 16, 2013 8:44:07 PM

4.4 GHZ. \ .96 VOLTS
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2013 1:35:00 PM

You gotta use CPUZ to find out what your real voltage is while your on load and while your not on a load.

I gotta say, you'll enjoy you 3570k. Sure it only has 4 cores. But those 4 cores it has are the most powerful 4 cores you can find on the market right now. I think their just as powerful as the 3970x per core. This mean that in any apps or games or anything that uses 4 cores or less, you'll have the fastest CPU for those tasks. This is why I love my 3570k. I don't so anything on a daily basis that requires more than 4 cores. So we should have THE top performing CPU for a while. At least till Haswell comes out. And I don't think there will be much of a different in IPC when that comes out. Maybe as much of a difference as from Sandy to Ivy. IF that much. I sure hope at least.
Score
a c 912 à CPUs
a c 364 K Overclocking
March 17, 2013 1:39:13 PM

4.5ghz.\1.23 volts
Score
!