Sign in with
Your question

First build, having troubles

Last response: in Motherboards
December 26, 2010 1:11:30 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Building my first PC, everything seems to be connected correctly, but I can't get a boot by pressing the power button on my case.

Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD/USB3

CPU: Phenom II 965 BE

PSU: Raidmax RX-630Z

Case: CoolerMaster 912 HAF

The motherboard is being powered, as when it's plugged in to the PSU its green LED shines. The Core Unlocker LED also turns on if I flip the switch.

When I press the power button, absolutely nothing happens. No fans spin, no beeps, clicks, anything. I can post pictures if needed. Please help :) 

More about : build troubles

December 27, 2010 9:02:57 AM

Have you recheck the connection between your cpu case power button and your motherboard?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 27, 2010 1:08:05 PM

tecmo34 said:
Here is a great thread to read through for troubleshooting tips. I recommend reading and completing each task, which should pin-point your issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

And if not, continue:
I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
December 27, 2010 3:10:07 PM

Thanks guys, I'm now able to get the system "on"
Now I'm having other problems. I have breadboarded, trying with just mobo and CPU to adding ram, case fans, gpu, hdd and disc drive. Everything seems to work but the CPU. All fans, including the gpu fan start spinning. Drives work as well. There is no system beeps at all. And I get no video.
Two things I've noticed:

1: the gpu fan spins, even when the power connectors aren't connected, there is no difference when I connect/ disconnect them.

2: the CPU isn't generating any heat. I even took the cooling fan off to make sure. (I will be reseating the fan)

Any ideas?
m
l
December 27, 2010 3:11:31 PM

Oops, double post.
m
l
December 28, 2010 12:49:07 AM

Anyone else able to shed any light? Without any other components to use for testing, not sure what to do.

If I took my case with my components to Frys, would they be able to test my cpu/mobo/psu at their store?
m
l
December 28, 2010 6:22:26 PM

grefster said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] t-problems

check this out m8, helped me greatly ;) .

Tried that, but thanks :D 

I think the 4 pin 12v adapter on my PSU may be broken. It's that, or the 4 pin on my mobo. Or.... my cpu ;\. Gonna go find a mom and pop computer shop and see if they'll test my psu.

Thanks everyone for the help, hopefully I can figure this out :) 
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:35:40 AM

After I messed with the wiring for a bit, I'm finally able to boot normally. Not sure exactly what I did, but it's running stable.

Case: CoolerMaster 912 HAF
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE
GPU: Galaxy GTX 460 768mb GC
RAM: 4gb Kingston 1333
HD: Hitachi 7200 500gb
630w psu
DVD/RW etc

Overall pretty satisfied. Got 33 avg FPS in heaven with no OC at 1080p, normal tesselation, high shaders etc.

Thanks again guys.
m
l
!