schong88

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
There recently was a thunderstorm that went by my house not too long ago and lightning struck pretty near my house. The modem went up in blue shock and started to smoke and my computer did a spastic blue screen before I shut it down.

When I rebooted the computer after the storm, everything was fine. Nothing seemed to be wrong with the computer. A few days later, my GPU wouldn't work so I took apart the computer and did everything in the troubleshooting guide such as reseating memory, making sure there were no loose wires, taking out all the pci slots and putting them back in.

Surprisingly, it booted up again. It would even boot and reboot with no hitch until I clicked off the surge power button. When I tried to reboot the computer after i clicked off the surge and clicked it back on, it would NOT start.

I THOUGHT this was a PSU problem but I recently discovered a small burnt chip behind the GPU pci slot (which my friend toldme was the sound chip). I can't tell whether this is a GPU problem (which wont start) or a PSU problem (maybe it was partially overcharged?) or a motherboard problem...