Could this have screwed up my motherboard?

Brocsta876

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Last night I was working on my brothers computer, so I plugged it into the same outlet where my computer was plugged into. It's a normal 2-port power outlet, and I have a 6-port extender/surge protector plugged in.

Well, I already had my 2 monitors + PC plugged in so when I tried to plug in my bro's PC, everything in my room powered off. The overhead fan, the light, etc. including all of the PC equipment. I had to reset the circuit breaker to get everything to come back, but when it did, my computer booted a little slower than normal, which didn't really strike me as odd at first. The first time powering on it had a CMOS Checksum error, but it went away after the second reboot.

However, loading up any sort of screen before the OS boots is noticeably slower. When saving the BIOS settings, the screen will slowly disappear, resembling a Powerpoint page animation (erases itself vertically). Previously it did not do this.

Another thing to note is that my RAM is now being detected as DDR3 1066, when it was previously detected as 1600 (It's 1600 originally).

When it finally got to Windows, the little jingle it plays came out sounding warped and scratchy. Any sound played through my headphones was like that. Once I switched USB ports, though, everything worked fine. I rebooted the computer once again, and again the sound issue came back, even though it was in a new port. It also feels like my OS slows down much more than it used to, easily getting bogged down by barely any multitasking.

I'm running Windows on a Solid State drive and it definitely feels off. I've got World of Warcraft on another SSD and it runs like *** now. It's laggy and choppy. I'm hoping I didn't screw up my SSDs along with the mobo =/

Power off, take out the CMOS battery on the mobo and put it back in order to clear the CMOS.
gGMqF.gif

You can run Chkdsk on your boot drive too.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
It sounds like the SSD controller on the drive might have been damaged. What you can do to check this is powering up your computer with a different hard drive from your bro's computer and seeing if the same problems occur.