My 64 meg Sapphire Radeion 64 meg video card went out.

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2005 6:33:36 AM

My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 64 Meg 4x Video card went out. I had to put
an old Gefore2 32 meg video card in my new computer. Now I can't play T2.
Here is a list of cards from the company I bought mine from. Any
suggestions which card I should get? I will find out tomorrow if my card
is still under warranty. My card cost $69, but is no longer listed.
Albert

Video Cards
Type Price
Kaser 32MB SIS PCI $39
SIS Savage IX - 8 Meg AGP $14.99
Jaton GEForce 4 MX-440 8X $59
Jaton GEForce MX4000 8X $49
Sapphire 64MB Radeon 7000 4X $45
MSI 128MB GEForce FX5200 8X $75
MSI 128MB GEForce FX 5750 8X PCI $139
MSI 128MB GeForce FX5900XT $219
ATI 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $105
ATI 128MB AIW Radeon 9600XT 8X $239
MSI 128MB X600XT 16X PCI-Express $179
MSI 128MB X660GT 16X PCI-Express $219
Sapphire 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $59
Sapphire 128MB X300SE 16X PCI-Express CALL

Albert
March 28, 2005 6:33:37 AM

"Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 64 Meg 4x Video card went out.
> I had to put an old Gefore2 32 meg video card in my new
> computer. Now I can't play T2. Here is a list of cards
> from the company I bought mine from. Any suggestions
> which card I should get? I will find out tomorrow if my
> card is still under warranty. My card cost $69, but is no
> longer listed. Albert
> Video Cards
> Type Price
> Kaser 32MB SIS PCI $39
> SIS Savage IX - 8 Meg AGP $14.99
> Jaton GEForce 4 MX-440 8X $59
> Jaton GEForce MX4000 8X $49
> Sapphire 64MB Radeon 7000 4X $45
> MSI 128MB GEForce FX5200 8X $75
> MSI 128MB GEForce FX 5750 8X PCI $139
> MSI 128MB GeForce FX5900XT $219
> ATI 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $105
> ATI 128MB AIW Radeon 9600XT 8X $239
> MSI 128MB X600XT 16X PCI-Express $179
> MSI 128MB X660GT 16X PCI-Express $219
> Sapphire 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $59
> Sapphire 128MB X300SE 16X PCI-Express CALL
>
> Albert

I have an ATI 128MB Radeon 9200 in my computer.
Had no problems even running Unreal 2 and T3.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2005 6:33:37 AM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:33:36 GMT Albert Conklin said :

> My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 64 Meg 4x Video card went out. I had to put
>an old Gefore2 32 meg video card in my new computer. Now I can't play T2.
> Here is a list of cards from the company I bought mine from. Any
>suggestions which card I should get? I will find out tomorrow if my card
>is still under warranty. My card cost $69, but is no longer listed.
>Albert
>
>Video Cards
>Type Price
>Kaser 32MB SIS PCI $39
>SIS Savage IX - 8 Meg AGP $14.99
>Jaton GEForce 4 MX-440 8X $59
>Jaton GEForce MX4000 8X $49
>Sapphire 64MB Radeon 7000 4X $45
>MSI 128MB GEForce FX5200 8X $75
>MSI 128MB GEForce FX 5750 8X PCI $139
>MSI 128MB GeForce FX5900XT $219
>ATI 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $105
>ATI 128MB AIW Radeon 9600XT 8X $239
>MSI 128MB X600XT 16X PCI-Express $179
>MSI 128MB X660GT 16X PCI-Express $219
>Sapphire 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $59
>Sapphire 128MB X300SE 16X PCI-Express CALL
>
>Albert

Good luck with the video cards issue.

I am sold on ATI AIW cards though mine is a 9600 cause I cant
afford the higher end one.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:33:36 GMT, Albert Conklin <aconklin@satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 64 Meg 4x Video card went out. I had to put
>an old Gefore2 32 meg video card in my new computer. Now I can't play T2.

Why? I'm pretty sure that I played Thief 2 originally when it came out on
a Geforce2 card. Not sure about the video RAM though.

> Here is a list of cards from the company I bought mine from. Any
>suggestions which card I should get? I will find out tomorrow if my card
>is still under warranty. My card cost $69, but is no longer listed.
>Albert
>
>Video Cards
>Type Price
>Kaser 32MB SIS PCI $39
>SIS Savage IX - 8 Meg AGP $14.99
>Jaton GEForce 4 MX-440 8X $59
>Jaton GEForce MX4000 8X $49
Ugh, Jaton. Run away now.

>Sapphire 64MB Radeon 7000 4X $45
>MSI 128MB GEForce FX5200 8X $75
>MSI 128MB GEForce FX 5750 8X PCI $139
>MSI 128MB GeForce FX5900XT $219
>ATI 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $105
>ATI 128MB AIW Radeon 9600XT 8X $239
>MSI 128MB X600XT 16X PCI-Express $179
>MSI 128MB X660GT 16X PCI-Express $219
>Sapphire 128MB Radeon 9200 4X $59
>Sapphire 128MB X300SE 16X PCI-Express CALL

I suggest visiting Newegg.com. Just pay $5 shipping and no tax and pick a
decent card from the most highly regarded online computer hardware
retailer around.

Besides, you wouldn't want to order a PCI-Express card unless you've got a
motherboard that supports it.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 9200 4x ran T3 just fine also. I don't recall
if I had all the "bells and whistles" turned on though.
Albert
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2005 5:39:46 PM

Michael Cecil wrote:

(snip)
> I suggest visiting Newegg.com. Just pay $5 shipping and no tax and pick a
> decent card from the most highly regarded online computer hardware
> retailer around.
>
> Besides, you wouldn't want to order a PCI-Express card unless you've got a
> motherboard that supports it.

Does Newegg.com require a credit card?
This have this card:
ATI AIW RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, CATV/Video
Out/Video In, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9600" w/ REMOTE -RETAIL for $169.
When I first got my new computer, I was told an 8x card works fine in
a 4x slot.
Albert
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2005 5:39:47 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:39:46 GMT, Albert Conklin <aconklin@satx.rr.com>
wrote:

>Michael Cecil wrote:
>
>(snip)
>> I suggest visiting Newegg.com. Just pay $5 shipping and no tax and pick a
>> decent card from the most highly regarded online computer hardware
>> retailer around.
>>
>> Besides, you wouldn't want to order a PCI-Express card unless you've got a
>> motherboard that supports it.
>>
>Does Newegg.com require a credit card?

Yeah, I think so.

>This have this card:
> ATI AIW RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, CATV/Video
>Out/Video In, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9600" w/ REMOTE -RETAIL for $169.
> When I first got my new computer, I was told an 8x card works fine in
>a 4x slot.

Yes, it should work fine. There's less than a 1% performance difference
when going from 4x to 8x anyhow. It's mostly just a thing they can hype
for marketing.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
March 28, 2005 7:20:11 PM

"Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 64 Meg 4x Video card went out. I had to put an
> old Gefore2 32 meg video card in my new computer. Now I can't play T2.
> Here is a list of cards from the company I bought mine from. Any
> suggestions which card I should get? I will find out tomorrow if my card
> is still under warranty. My card cost $69, but is no longer listed.
> Albert

You don't have a PCI-Express m/b.....so that rules any PCIe card out. A
Radeon 9200 is a poor choice, slow and DX8.1 only. Get a 9600XT or 9800 Pro.
You don't need the AIW card. A 9600XT or 9800 Pro is a true DX9.0 card and
is vastly faster than a 9200 card. If you want to go Nvidia, the 5700 Ultra
or the 5950 Ultra are the equivalents to the 9600XT and 9800 Pro.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2005 9:34:43 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:39:46 GMT Albert Conklin said :

> ATI AIW RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, CATV/Video
>Out/Video In, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9600" w/ REMOTE -RETAIL for $169.
> When I first got my new computer, I was told an 8x card works fine in
>a 4x slot.
>Albert

I have the same agp card.

Too bad ATI went too far with the macrovision. It thinks there is some
in place when there is none on a vhs. sigh

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2005 6:09:25 AM

Augustus wrote:

> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> My 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 64 Meg 4x Video card went out. I had to put an
>>old Gefore2 32 meg video card in my new computer. Now I can't play T2.
>> Here is a list of cards from the company I bought mine from. Any
>>suggestions which card I should get? I will find out tomorrow if my card
>>is still under warranty. My card cost $69, but is no longer listed.
>>Albert
>

> You don't have a PCI-Express m/b.....so that rules any PCIe card out. A
> Radeon 9200 is a poor choice, slow and DX8.1 only. Get a 9600XT or 9800 Pro.
> You don't need the AIW card. A 9600XT or 9800 Pro is a true DX9.0 card and
> is vastly faster than a 9200 card. If you want to go Nvidia, the 5700 Ultra
> or the 5950 Ultra are the equivalents to the 9600XT and 9800 Pro.

I contacted the store by phone and it looks like my only option is to
take the Sapphire back and exchange it for the same type card.
I guess upgrade is on hold for now. No use getting the same card back
and buying a better one.
Albert
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2005 6:09:26 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:09:25 GMT Albert Conklin said :

> I guess upgrade is on hold for now. No use getting the same card back
>and buying a better one.
>Albert

Does it have a ATI chipset on board ?

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2005 4:30:46 PM

Geneve wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:09:25 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
>> I guess upgrade is on hold for now. No use getting the same card back
>>and buying a better one.
>>Albert
>

> Does it have a ATI chipset on board ?

The card or the Motherboard?
Albert
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2005 4:30:47 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:30:46 GMT Albert Conklin said :

>Geneve wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:09:25 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>>
>>> I guess upgrade is on hold for now. No use getting the same card back
>>>and buying a better one.
>>>Albert
>>

>> Does it have a ATI chipset on board ?
>>

>The card or the Motherboard?
>Albert

The video card itself.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2005 6:13:49 AM

Geneve wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:30:46 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>>Geneve wrote:
>>>
>>>Does it have a ATI chipset on board ?
>>
>>The card or the Motherboard?
>>Albert
>
> The video card itself.

My guess is yes. A tech support website claims "(ATI RADEON 9200
Chipset)".
Albert
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2005 6:13:50 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:13:49 GMT Albert Conklin said :

>Geneve wrote:

>>>The card or the Motherboard?
>>>Albert
>>
>> The video card itself.
>>
> My guess is yes. A tech support website claims "(ATI RADEON 9200
>Chipset)".
>Albert

Maybe you can toy with some 3rd party drivers to get better effects.

--
!