wich was the best 478-socket motherboard?

miss_pacman

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
which was the best 478-socket intel motherboard? or the last they made?

i have an d 865perl and would like to upgrade slightly.

sixthseven

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I used ABIT IS7E i865PE years ago.. :) And I still remember the system I had. Pentium 4, GeForce 4Ti 4800, Kingston 512Mb, Seagate 80Gb... Sweet memories... :D

4745454b

Titan
You already have an 865, which was only behind the 875. Many companies even brought over the PAT technology to the 865 so the difference between them was pretty much nothing. There isn't any more upgrading to be done if thats your board. It should support any S748 CPU out there.

The problem is all true dual cores for Intel are on the s775. You could find a hyperthreaded CPU for your board, but again you don't need to buy a new board for that. List your system specs, budget, and needs and we can see about getting you something.

miss_pacman

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
hi, sorry for late response....got a nice christmas and new years flu...

our pc is custom built with hyperthread cpu 3.2 (x2)
ati graphics 1950 pro
creative sound blaster fidelity and as backup
augity

I can play any game I want with no problem. I see no reason to start fixing a new pc.
The sensors on my board seems to have a problem since I cant recieve temp info.
I
just want to change motherboard and was wondering if the last board (875) is the same as mine (or slightly better).

Im thinking about building a watercooling system for safety.

sixthseven

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I'm sorry for the flu...

It's nice to know that your old pc has been still acomodate your needs.
The problem is, it's difficult to find a new s478 motherboard at the market this time because the s478 mobo w/ 865/875 chipset is old.

IMO it's better for you to get newer mobo with newer cpu socket instead of your old system which would cost you but won't give you something new. Of course it depends on your budget.

My another worry is for your other parts. They must have been aged and get going to their lifetimes. Like your psu for example, it must have lost its initial power from time to time, and it could cause damage to another hardware. I'm afraid your next new mobo - in case you buy a new one - will be damaged too..

PS : I've read that 875 is not better than 865. Many people preferred 865 to 875, but I forget the reasons. I have not found the articles...

4745454b

Titan
I think it was just the expense. The 875 was more expensive then the 865, while it provided little speed increase.

I don't think I would change the board just to get working temp sensors. Leave things as they are and keep saving your money for a new system. Eventually it will die and you'll need new parts anyways.

miss_pacman

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
than you for your info. what would be a good place to start... as of what type of mobo.... something that I can build on.
Which mobo gives me the highest limit for cpu ?(since I am going to buy every piece seperatly)
Now I have 3.2mhz X 2 (hyperthread and mobo with a supporting cpu)
The ready packages on the market provides up to lets say 3mhz...
Why are they any better?

miss_pacman

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
it is a shame realy...my sound card gives me 7.1 speaker system...I have read lots of posts trying to figure out what is good for me. we havwe use the pc as home cinema workstation and gaming.
I guess it just hurts to start all over again.
Budget right now is low...

4745454b

Titan
Budget is how low? Some of the people around here can build nice stations for ~$400. A cheap AM3 CPU, 4GBs of DDR3 memory and an AM3 board could be bought for less then $200. Move your drives over and possibly buy a new GPU if you can't use onboard for another $100 or so. You'll need a new PSU however, so another $40-80 on top of that.

miss_pacman

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
right now 0 euros for spending on pc.
We have 4x 1gb dd4 RAM. 550watt power + an extra if needed. 3 hard drives onboard with various sizes and one HD outside for storage.
graphics and sound as I mentioned. Need to go with a board that can take Creative with controllpanel and sound 7.1 speakers and ati 1950 pro. AND give me MORE than 6.40 mhz total on cpu. Anything out there for less than 100 euros???