Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ACC and Unlocking cores

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2010 8:43:42 PM

I just finished building a new computer last night, kept updates on and went to sleep. I woke up and installed all of the drivers and what not and now I'm wondering if anyone can give me feed back about unlocking cores. As to how I should approach it (I have a mobo that supports both Core Unlocker and ACC), and what I should be aware of after doing it/while doing it. What temperatures are too high, and what can cause damage to the computer if I don't monitor what its doing? Right now my case has 6 fans 3 intake/3 exhaust and my core idle temp is around 33c-36c with dual fans on the heat sink.

EDIT : Just downloaded a different core temp checker than Speed Fan as I've read that sometimes it gives errors. It is at a 29c-31c temperature while installing wow, which isn't full load but it isn't idle either.

More about : acc unlocking cores

June 23, 2010 9:34:29 PM

Should probably post what the Core/Mobo are. Core is an AMD Phenom II 555, and the mobo is MSI 770-G45.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2010 9:51:38 PM

So turn ACC on and unlock, you'll get the first hint when booting, most will fail to boot and just loop back. This is a pretty good sign of no go, if it does boot you should see the system do a drivers update check and install the driver for the other 1 or 2 cores.
Fortunately I went from 3 to 4 cores much easier, as I haven't seen your bios I can't advise you to just try 3 cores first or go for 4 right away.
If your lucky with 3 go for 4 just don't do any overclocking till you see what you've got.
Then comes stability testing and you want to set a temperature threshold first, better to stay safe with 60 degrees in bios and watch/monitor temps during test.
Related resources
June 23, 2010 11:02:48 PM

Went for 4 right off the bat and it did boot, installed the drivers, and restarted it. Checked the BIOS and they were idle at 39c. What program do you recommend for checking them on full load? Both Speedfan and Coretemp fail to show the core temps. My cooling is hopefully gonna be enough to keep it under 60. When checking the Mhz they all dropped to 3099.91, is that because they all match the lowest setting since cores have to be equal in frequency? So far so good, atleast it recognizes it as 4 cores.
m
l
June 23, 2010 11:04:13 PM

Best answer selected by katakylsm.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
June 24, 2010 12:23:05 AM

Katakylsm said:
Went for 4 right off the bat and it did boot, installed the drivers, and restarted it. Checked the BIOS and they were idle at 39c. What program do you recommend for checking them on full load? Both Speedfan and Coretemp fail to show the core temps. My cooling is hopefully gonna be enough to keep it under 60. When checking the Mhz they all dropped to 3099.91, is that because they all match the lowest setting since cores have to be equal in frequency? So far so good, atleast it recognizes it as 4 cores.

It wont matter what temp program you use when you unlock those CPU's it does something to the core temp sensors. The cpu temp still works though off the motherboard.
m
l
June 24, 2010 1:00:09 PM

Well how do I tell load temps while in the system BIOS?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 9:07:30 PM

As for myself I know my processor is always 10-11 degrees hotter than my cores, I assessed this previously.
With activation of ACC the individual core thermostats cannot be read only the main core, best quess is they were deactivated when AMD determined to turn off those cores.
The mtrb bios only reads main cpu temp for thermal shutdown control so you should feel safe knowing the cores are cooler than that.
HardwareMonitor provides pretty accurate reports but as all others will report cores as running @ zero.
m
l
!