Cheap and good PSU for Sapphire HD 4850.

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hello,

My name is Srikanth from india. Today I brought used Sapphire HD 4850 1Gb for 76$ from ebay.com. Which I may get soon in hand.

After reading plenty( Most of from this greatest site ) info and research I choiced this card. Its cheaper and great.

But I have some doubts about getting a new/used/etc PSU. At present I have 450w Intex and I'm sure it won't suit as it has only 20A on +12v rail and is a single rail PSU but card needs 30A atleast.

So I searched for PSU but socked, they are nearly costing to graphics card ( 50$ ) and I cannot pay that much. I had also searched most of computer dealers in my city and they didn't have stock and they said, we can bring for you but costs nearly 100$. pff :sweat:

I found some cheap PSU on some websites. They are above 600w and 35A above on single +12v rail.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M5DSMO/ref=asc_df_B001M5DSMO1062022?tag=stylefeeder-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B001M5DSMO&linkCode=asn

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Star-4-pin-Supply-PCI-Express/dp/B003AXURX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269409835&sr=8-1

I know using uses isn't good but what to do, I don't have money to get a good branded. Just I can spend 30$ max including shipping.

Could anybody tell me if these are ( above said PSUs ) are ok to use or atleast please help me to get a cheaper one.

BTW; I don't have plan on crossfire or my motherboard supports. Below is my PC Config.... :

AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 2.8GHz of 65w
ASUS M2N68-AM Plus
2+1 GB DDR2 RAM ( I think 650mhz both cards )
320GB Samsung Sata HDD
Sony DVD/CD re/writer

p.s also let me know if 4850 card is suitable for my pc or I brought it without enough knowledge. :cry:

Thanks a lot...
Best Regards

Solution
He/She says it has 500W over the +12V rails. So the max amperage the +12V rails could provide is 41.6A
I haven't heard of the brand and I wouldn't buy a second hand power supply.

Hope it works out for you.

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Glad to hear I brought a matching graphics card to my PC but as of PSU I'm stressed. Researching since 2 - 3 days and now I'm unable to work and lil headache. Wish I have some more bucks. :pfff:

Thanks for your reply.

Edit: I found a another psu of 500w but as of its amperes its suitable ( 380w / 12v = 31.6a ).

http://www.athenatech.us/products/psu/ps-500waf.htm

Not sure about its price yet but I think its nice brand.

Edit2: damn, its costly. :(

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Thanks but thats hard to buy for me.

I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/RECOM-RC-PROE-A600-600W-POWER-SUPPLY-WITH-ACTIVE-PFC_W0QQitemZ180483205878QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_UPS?hash=item2a05a32af6 just now and as per its spec +12v1 has 22a and +12v2 has 22a. But I couldn't find wattage of both +12 rails. Still searching though.

Best Regards

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Oops, I didn't read that he did wrote 500w over +12v rails. as most sellers don't write wattage of +12v rails or they just post snap of psu. But I think he/she wrote wrong. here its written 438w Combined power of +12v which means 438/12=36.5a Great!

Howevery, I think this card is better then others cheaper single rail psu on amazon.

Yeah of course, as its a netherlands company usa ppl won't be knowing that. :)

Wish wish I won this.... 2:20 hours left and no bidders. Hope I won this.

BTW; I think you have misread. Its new product and not used as said but may be good as said. :D

Thanks....
Best Regards

Good luck!

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Yeah one of a member named "abondanzieri" is using same products I brought. And I don't think he has any of issue except one that your posted :kaola: :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253651-33-4850-crysis

But as far as crysis, its a heavy game or I don't play it. I have interest in Need For Speed Shift, COD MW2, Assassin Creed 2, GTA4 ( I know it won't run so good but lot better then my inbuilt GPU ;) ) and may be some more latest games which I couldn't remember atm.

However I have sent a PM to abondanzieri to ask his experience with these products.

Best Regards

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Still not solved guys. The psu what I won got costly. Not about product price but its shipping cost. Seller said 55$ for shipping to india. pff

I checked usps and First-Class Mail International Package which was 17$ but the seller wasn't not ready to go cheaper. May be he used to get som $$$ from shipping cost we pay. :(

Still looking...

As of Graphics Card, good news. Seller has contacted to usps and he said 35$ including coverage for shipping. Its cheaper then I though ( 50$ ). :)

Best Regards

Edit: If anybody has used psu of 450w or above with atleast 30a on +12v rail/s. Please let me know. I'm ready to pay 30 to 35$ but not over...

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys,

Guess what?

First good news, I have received my graphic card card today and the card is soooooo wonderful. Purchased it as used graphic card but I got a like brand new card. Seal is opened but there are no signs of use. Not even a single.

Second good news, I used 2nd psu for graphic card itself of rating 20a on 12+ rails ( 400w psu ).

Third good news, The graphic card temperature isn't gone above 56*c on full load and 42*c on idle. Now trying NFS SHIFT and I'm sure it never goes above 60*c !

Bad news is, customs duty charged 45$ approx and that was way too much for 100$ item and there was no other ways. Either give 45$ and get the parcel or leave it as it returns back to the seller.

So thats all...

And I'm v.v.v.v.v happy. :bounce:

Was too much worried about graphic card heating issue and psu but both solved very easily.

Thanks a lot...
Best Regards

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Thanks a lot...

Now playing nfs shift and its so realistic. Its just like I'm racing car in my street..... :eek:

But I cannot understand why most of ppl reported this card has heating issue. Mine never touched 57*c on full load ( while playing nfs shift ). I'm living in high heat area of 35*c today.

I haven't installed any 3rd party coolers into the gpu and nothing noticeable customizations to the cabinet. Just used a single cabinet fan and the cabinet is full tower of course.

The original 4850s were very hot (I had one) but they quickly adjusted BIOSes and put (much) better coolers on at the factory and the issue was completely resolved. Is your 4850 a 'dual slot' card (in other words the GPU cooler blocks the PCI slot below it)?

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Yeah its a dual slot type card but uses only single pci slot. SAPPHIRE HD 4850 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E HDMI.

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

ok thats great.

BTW; I have a few lil Queries.

As the graphic card power consumption is more, on my normal works ( other then gaming and 3d softwares ) what is the easy way to turn off the graphic card pluse 2nd psu and use inbuilt video? Or I can use the graphic card all the time as it doesn't harm anything?

1. Connect the VGA cable into mother board VGA port ( Inbuilt video ) and turn off 2nd psu?
2. do as above plus remove the graphic card from the mother board pcie slot?
3. Or is there any other easier ways?

FYI; I use my pc for atleast 20 hours daily.

Thanks....
Best Regards

The cards are designed to run for a long time (many around here sound like they do 24/7) and therefore have power saving features. I don't know exactly what yours does (they got better with later revisions/bioses) but it should downclock and undervolt when not in 3D which can save a huge amount of power (and it will run cooler). If you want to use the onboard, you'd have to physically remove the 4850, and it would likely make a mess of the drivers (not really made to switch back and forth) so I would not recommend it.

srikanthnk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Yeah you are right and my card has power saving feature!

On idle or 2d, the GPU core clock goes to 160 Mhz and GPU memory clock goes to 250 Mhz. Temp below 40*c. No idea about volts as its not shown in GPU-Z.