Sign in with
Your question

Bricked a perfectly good laptop

Last response: in Motherboards
December 26, 2010 2:05:50 PM

Hello everyone,
This afternoon, I was performing some subtle software upgrades, and decided to update some of the drivers associated with my Daughters old HP DV4-1120us laptop so my wife could use it. After restoring the laptop to factory settings, I went through and updated windows and all associated software on the unit. I then went to HP's website and proceeded to reload all the drivers for the hardware associated with this machine. After updating the audio, video, chipset, touchpad, and quick launch buttons, I downloaded the latest BIOS (WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS - Microsoft Windows-Based 2010-05-31 , Version:F.66 A) I launched the program and followed the instructions to the T. Once the flash was complete it rebooted the machine, now it stays on the HP INVENT screen and will not respond to any commands.

I have read several threads on HP's website concerning the procedures to "reflash" the BIOS, so I took a few steps to get the BIOS files and extract the files associated with it, and that is where I get confused, as the forums say to look for the "WPH" files within the BIOS file. There are no "WPH" files associated with this BIOS Flash File (version:F:66 A) they all have a suffix of "FD".

I really don't mind sending this unit back to HP for out of warranty work, but if I can find someone to offer me some assistance, I would like to try and repair it myself. We do not use this laptop a lot (well not at all now...ha ha) but it is still a good laptop and I hate to throw it away over this. Does anyone know where I can possibly get a new BIOS chip? I am a master electronics technician, so removing a soldered chipset is not a big deal to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

JTAV8R
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a c 98 V Motherboard
December 26, 2010 4:24:53 PM

Try removing the motherboard battery (Lithium CR 2032) - leave it out for 10 minutes; then re-install the battery. Hope it resets to factory defaults.
m
l
December 26, 2010 5:10:16 PM

Thanks for the response. I was able to do a blind reimage to the BIOS and the laptop is working again. For the fun of it, I attempted to use the file from HP again to confirm the issue, and it did the exact same thing. The BIOS file from HP is corrupt for some reason.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a c 98 V Motherboard
December 26, 2010 5:22:24 PM

Glad it worked out well!
m
l
January 23, 2011 2:22:36 AM

I'm facing the same exact issue and tried in vain the various recommendations found online.

Would you mind describing how you performed your "blind reimage to the BIOS?
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:31:18 PM

JTAV8R said:
Thanks for the response. I was able to do a blind reimage to the BIOS and the laptop is working again. For the fun of it, I attempted to use the file from HP again to confirm the issue, and it did the exact same thing. The BIOS file from HP is corrupt for some reason.

I have a bricked dv4 was doing bios update it shut down part way through it, now dead. How do you do a blind reimage? Its out of warranty and too new to scrap help me please.
m
l
!