Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Build

Last response: in Memory
December 26, 2010 2:13:57 PM

Hello -

I'm having a little trouble with a build I'm working on. (only my 2nd build - so still new to this stuff).

I started to put my system together and ran into a problem. I installed the PSU | Loaded the RAM | Put in the CPU with thermal Artic and installed the heatsink/fan | Made what I thought was the right connections of wires on the motherboard to the case | Installed the video card | and then (like an earlier build from DIY Videoguys I hooked up a keyboard and mouse and turned on the power to see if it would begin to boot.

The good news was that when I turned it on all the fans began to spin including the one in the video card and on th CPU. The bad news was nothing else happened. I though I was going see something on the screen from the BIOS or something like that.

I re seated the RAM. Reset the CPU (although the locking mechanism for the CPU didn't feel as smooth as it should be, but I know the chip was place and seated properly). I also had a little bit of an issues seating the video card. It seemed slightly off from sitting properly and still get mounted flush to the case - which is weird becasue it's an ASUS Motherboard and ASUS video card). In any event I do believe I am seated properly on the card now.

My MB "MEM OK" LED light is "ON" and when I try to reset it it turns the system off for a moment - and then powers up and stays on...

Can anyone let me know if there is anything I could be missing? I haven't put in the optical or HDD's yet, thinking I need to isolate this problem Is there a chance I have some incompatibilities with my hardware?

iIf anyone can point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it. Below is the equipment I am trying to install...

Happy Holidays to All!
Marlen

CASE NZXT| PHAN-001WT RT
CPU|INTEL CI7 950
Motherboard | ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R
Memory | 2Gx6|CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9 G
PSU | CORSAIR|CMPSU-850HX 850W RT
VIdeo Card | VGA ASUS|ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5/V2 R

More about : problem build

a b U Graphics card
a c 128 } Memory
December 26, 2010 2:27:38 PM

Does your video card require the 6 pin power supply connector? I also suggest you leave the screw holding the video card to the back of the case off in case it moves the card enough when you screw it down to cause a no post scenario. Some case frames are a little crooked, causing the video card to move when you tighten the hold down screw.
m
l
December 26, 2010 3:49:11 PM

Thats a good question. The manual was very limited. I did note that I had failed to install the "stand-offs" underneath the MB. Once I did that the card set perfectly and is locked in. I will definatley give your advice a try.

Can you help me answer your question? I have 2 PCI e cables coming from my Corsair PSU and going into the GPU. Is this correct? Here's a link to the exact card I have....

Thanks again for your help
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2010 7:45:49 PM

o1die said:
Does your video card require the 6 pin power supply connector? I also suggest you leave the screw holding the video card to the back of the case off in case it moves the card enough when you screw it down to cause a no post scenario. Some case frames are a little crooked, causing the video card to move when you tighten the hold down screw.

I tried loosening the scre on the case/card and tried moving it around a bit at start up with no luck. FWIW, I am getting all my fans to run (both of the MB and the PSU), but It doesn't appear I'm getting any power to the USB ports on the back or the top of the case (even though my LEDS are lit at the top - those usb's and the Power button at the top of case are not working. I think I may have something crossed on the MB, but I'm doing trial error) Also - the "MEM OK" light is still continuously lit on the MB...any other thouhts?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 128 } Memory
December 26, 2010 9:41:17 PM

No. Sorry I can't be of more help. I've never used a video card with leads from the ps before. I'm not a gamer.
m
l
December 26, 2010 10:29:59 PM

No problem o1die - thanks for tying to help out. I'm not a "gamer" either". I'm just trying to render some HD video and these were the components that were suggested for an optimal build. I'll work thru this hopefully with some help of people smarter than me with this equipment...thanks again.
m
l
December 27, 2010 3:06:22 PM

o1die said:
No. Sorry I can't be of more help. I've never used a video card with leads from the ps before. I'm not a gamer.

Ok - here's an update. I went to corsair and went thru their troubleshooting section which pretty much told me to send the RAM back. But I'm not sure that is actually the answer. I also troubleshooted the AUSUS MB - which had me pull out all components (including video card and RAM) to see if I could get the "BEEP" sound at startup. Even with everything removed except fans/cpu I still could not get that "BEEP".

I may have zerod in on the EATX12 V connector on the MB, but I can't tell if it is the MB or the EATV 12 Pwer cable coming from my Corsair 850 PSU? I don't want to send the wrong product back to NewEgg nor do I want to go to some place like the GEEK Squad to get this fixed. Is there any other trouble shooting I can do to see if this EATV 12 V issues is really the problem?
m
l
December 28, 2010 12:36:42 PM

marlen_30 said:
Hello -

I'm having a little trouble with a build I'm working on. (only my 2nd build - so still new to this stuff).

I started to put my system together and ran into a problem. I installed the PSU | Loaded the RAM | Put in the CPU with thermal Artic and installed the heatsink/fan | Made what I thought was the right connections of wires on the motherboard to the case | Installed the video card | and then (like an earlier build from DIY Videoguys I hooked up a keyboard and mouse and turned on the power to see if it would begin to boot.

The good news was that when I turned it on all the fans began to spin including the one in the video card and on th CPU. The bad news was nothing else happened. I though I was going see something on the screen from the BIOS or something like that.

I re seated the RAM. Reset the CPU (although the locking mechanism for the CPU didn't feel as smooth as it should be, but I know the chip was place and seated properly). I also had a little bit of an issues seating the video card. It seemed slightly off from sitting properly and still get mounted flush to the case - which is weird becasue it's an ASUS Motherboard and ASUS video card). In any event I do believe I am seated properly on the card now.

My MB "MEM OK" LED light is "ON" and when I try to reset it it turns the system off for a moment - and then powers up and stays on...

Can anyone let me know if there is anything I could be missing? I haven't put in the optical or HDD's yet, thinking I need to isolate this problem Is there a chance I have some incompatibilities with my hardware?

iIf anyone can point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it. Below is the equipment I am trying to install...

Happy Holidays to All!
Marlen

CASE NZXT| PHAN-001WT RT
CPU|INTEL CI7 950
Motherboard | ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R
Memory | 2Gx6|CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9 G
PSU | CORSAIR|CMPSU-850HX 850W RT
VIdeo Card | VGA ASUS|ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5/V2 R

Update" Well after a lot of trial and error and a couple of calls into the ASUS support center. It appears the problem was with a bad MB. I was not getting any "BEEPS" at start up - so I pulled everything out except the CPU and fans - but still no BEEPS - the ASUS guy told me most likely culprit was a bad board, as CPU's rarely come out of the box bad - and other connectors from my PSU were working....so we'll see what today brings. I went out and bought the ASUS Rampage III Extreme (as nobody had a replacement for my P6X58D-E) Now I'll give it another try - and if it works, I'll come back here to learn how to over clock this system as I'm told that what's this board is good at....
m
l
!