Building a Computer - Turns on and off

zooloo75

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Ok, so I am building be a new computer and I just finished assembling everything. I plugged everything in and I turn on the power and the computer turns on for about a second and then turns on, and then it will stay off for about 2 secs and then turn back on and repeat the cycle.
This is my first time building a pc, and I hope this is an easy fix!

Specs

1tb hdd
9800gtx+
Biostar Tpower i55
Intel core i7 860
Antec EarthWatts 650watts
Creative Soundblaster Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty pro
4gb ddr3 ram
2 dvd drives
Coolermaster centurion 5

zooloo75

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Model
Brand G.SKILL
Series Ripjaws Series
Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 9
Timing 9-9-9-24-2N
Voltage 1.5V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, and AMD AM3 Platform.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

Introduction
Welcome to a new level of PC performance with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series memory. Your computer will never be the same with 4GB of high-density DDR3 1600 SDRAM spread over two DIMMs. Eliminate data bottlenecks by taking advantage of multi-channel technology and multiplying your memory bandwidth. Ripjaws Series memory is designed specifically to complement Core i7 processors, the P55 Express Chipset and AMD AM3 platform. Optimized for speed, low latency and high stability, Ripjaws Series memory is the perfect solution to faster programs and quicker load times.

Heat management is always important for any PC builder and enthusiast. G.SKILL understands this concern, which is why each Ripjaws Series DIMM comes with a stylish comb-like design heat-spreader, which dissipates heat by exposing it to cool air over a greater surface area and will look great in any case. These DIMMs also operate at a cool 1.5V for better internal temperatures and overclocking versatility. Upgrade your PC with raw power and own G.SKILL Ripjaws Series memory today!

Highlights
G.Skill DDR3 SDRAM
Developed to support new high-performance platforms, the G.Skill DDR3 memory modules are equipped with cutting edge memory technologies to ensure extreme user experience whether for daily applications or gaming. G.Skill system memory is 100% tested to ensure top-level product yield and quality.

DDR3 1600
Reaching the optimal balance between the sheer speed of DDR3 and excellent latency, the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 SDRAM is rated at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 to meet the rigorous requirements of the most fanatic gamers and enthusiasts.

Effective Heat Spreader
The high-performance heat spreader effectively dissipates heat from memory module to ensure system stability even in the most extremely overclocked memory module.

Quick Specs
Brand G.SKILL
Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Series Ripjaws Series
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
ECC No
Cas Latency 9
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.5V
Heat Spreader Yes

Detailed Specifications
Learning Center
Understanding System Memory Types Understanding System Memory Types|
SDRAM|
RDRAM|
DDR SDRAM|
DDR2 SDRAM|
DDR3 SDRAM|
Other Considerations|
View All Learning Center information on Desktop Memory Category»

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

He can set it to 1600 at stock CPU speed, and then he's only "officially" overclocking the memory controller. Core i7 processors have unlocked memory multipliers to the point that BIOS is the only limiting factor, usually at 2133 or 2400.

1600 is usually stable at stock memory controller (uncore) voltage.

Thanks for the correction, I thought that was only on the X58. I will have to get better informed.

zooloo75

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I posted this problem on a different forum and someone said that it's Windows' fault because it still uses my old computer's settings.
I pretty much saved up all these parts over the years and bought the new ram,mobo, cpu, and case.
How do I fix this issue with Windows xp? Someone said I should reinstall the entire OS, but I don't have the disc to do that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

How about something in the middle?

It appears that the LGA-1156 Core i7's are limited to DDR3-1600 at stock BCLK, at least if we look at the current crop of boards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-p55,2519-13.html

Well, at least that's better than the DDR3-1333 supported by the Core i5 processors.

Meanwhile I'm testing some LGA-1366 boards that support up to DDR3-2400 at stock BCLK.

Is a DRAM data rate higher than 12x available on LGA-1156 Core i7's? Probably not. But then again, I was surprised to see new ratios keep popping up on X58 motherboards, so I can't say with absolute certainty that the 12x limit on 1156 boards isn't just a BIOS issue.

Ah, but the OP only wants to go to 1600, which he can, without overclocking anything except the memory controller. And like I said, the memory controller is usually stable at DDR3-1600 without increasing uncore voltage.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Well, I'm not allowed to insult people, but anyone who's telling you that a reboot one-second after power-on is a windows problem...cannot be relied upon for useful information.

Your computer can't begin loading windows in one-second.

OK, so a lot of newer boards will turn on for a second, turn off for two seconds, and then turn on and STAY ON. If yours is actually STAYING ON long enough to complete the POST cycle and begin loading windows, and THEN reboots, it's an OS issue.

So you're either getting horrible misinformation on another forum, or not giving us the full scoop.