Sign in with
Your question

Which Motherboard?

Last response: in Components
June 23, 2010 11:50:06 PM

since i had no luck overclocking my two p.c.'s (i've made a post about one of them) i realized that it was my Motherboards' fault for not letting me do what i wanted so needed to ask you which motherboard you believe it's gonna do it better and safer (my cache is max. $200 for each motherboard).

the first system's got CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and RAM: Crucial 2x2GB DDR3-1333

and the second CPU: Intel i5-750 and RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB DDR3-1600

in case you tell me to read the articles/reviews believe me i've already have and some models i can't find here in Greece and more than that there have been newer (and prolly better) been released.

now let me tell you (i remind you that my cache is $200 for each mb) what i want my mb to have: good overclocking capacities, good fsb, dual module DDR3 RAM support, USB 3 and SATA 3. if it has SLI or Crossfire or both it'll gonna be good but it's not really necessary. other features don't really matter for me (firewire, number of expansion slots or whatever bonus comes with modern mb's etc).

thank you in advance

p.s. anyone knows how to read a GIGABYTE Motherboard product name? e.g. i've seen P55-UD4 and P55A-UD4 (what's with the A?). also there's P55-UD4P and P55A-UD4P (what's P?) and last there's P55-UD3, P55-UD4, P55-UD5 etc etc (what's 3,4,5,6 ... ?). i've done the comparisons and in most of them i can't trace any real differences that's why i'm asking. this p.s. does NOT mean i'm gonna buy GIGABYTE if they're not the best. i'm just asking.

More about : motherboard

a b K Overclocking
a c 97 V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 12:07:29 AM

P55 is the Intel chipset
$200 is kinda low for a mobo with USB3 (latest)
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 12:19:34 AM

perishedinflames said:
in case you tell me to read the articles/reviews believe me i've already have and some models i can't find here in Greece and more than that there have been newer (and prolly better) been released.
It might work out better if you list the motherboards you do have available to you.
Then the forum guys can help you sort out what the best choices are among the ones you can actually buy.

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 1:01:42 AM

In my knowledge, the acronym 'A' on Gigabyte motherboards demonstrates USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps ports as onboard features on the motherboard.. Not sure about 'P' though (may be performance).. I don't think USB 3.0 is available on any LGA 775 motherboard.. Also, You'll be hard pressed to find a good X48 chipset based motherboard for 200$ or less.. The situation is same for your i5 750 (more since you require it to be a good overclocker).. May be you could do by getting one of the motherboard's now..
June 25, 2010 1:48:08 AM

Ubrales said:
P55 is the Intel chipset
$200 is kinda low for a mobo with USB3 (latest)

i know what P55 is. $200 are not bad for a good mobo with USB3 but anyhow 220-230 will certainly do it (i'm kinda lost converting from euros to dollars all the time :p )

WR2 said:
It might work out better if you list the motherboards you do have available to you.
Then the forum guys can help you sort out what the best choices are among the ones you can actually buy.

i can find Intel, Asrock, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA

what i found for P55(from those found in tomshardware comparisons. there are others too ofc): INTEL DP55KG at $220, Asrock P55 Deluxe3 got $200, GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD5 got $265, EVGA FTW 200 costs over $300

for socket 775 the only two decent things i found were Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR and ASRock P45DE3

attention now! if the mobos i mentioned are not good enough or too expensive or are for extreme overclocking only they are not for me. i want something good and reliable. for example i know my E8400 can get to 4GHz but i won't be stretching it that much ... i guess a value of around 3.5 would do it ;) . so if none of these suits me i think i'll go order something from an online retailer abroad so do NOT hesitate to make your own recomendations ;) 

Emperus said:
In my knowledge, the acronym 'A' on Gigabyte motherboards demonstrates USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps ports as onboard features on the motherboard.. Not sure about 'P' though (may be performance).. I don't think USB 3.0 is available on any LGA 775 motherboard..

tnx for the info mate ;) 

i know i won't find a 775 mobo with USB 3 on it. i wasn't referring to that one ;) 

cheers!
!