Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CD Eject on Shutdown but Stays Open

Last response: in Storage
May 22, 2012 3:47:08 PM

Hello,

I have a couple sensitive Windows 7 machines that must be left with CD-ROM trays open when powered down.

Currently, I have people using paperclips to push open the tray after shutdown has been completed so that trays can be visually verified as having no CD inserted. The trays must remain open when the machine is off.

I wrote a script to eject the tray on shutdown, which works, however, as Windows completes its shutdown routine the drives shuts itself just prior to fully powering off. I'm assuming this functionality is part of the drive itself and related to some ATX sensing mechanism.

Does anyone know of any way to hack the drive, mobo, or software to prevent this automatic tray shutting behavior? Ideally, they trays would shut only from the user pushing the close tray button on the tray itself and have no automated closing functionality. I've looked around for a while and cannot find any information on this topic.
a b G Storage
May 22, 2012 4:24:40 PM

Hello,

May I ask why you need that ability? Is it to protect company secrets? Just wondering.

Anyways I don't know if there is any easy way. The only way I could think of is possibly buying a USB2.0 DVD drive and physically taking out the old DVD drive.

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

I use this every once in a while.

I'm curious though to see what the other people will say - i've never done or tried what you are trying to do before.
m
l
May 22, 2012 5:19:04 PM

Yes, it's to protect extremely sensitive customer data that we are under contract to maintain in safes when not being used. There is a clause stating they drives must be left open when the machines are not in operation. Our security people do regular visual checks to ensure the drives are open and do not contain any media.

I appreciate the response, but your suggestion is sadly not doable. We would not be able to replace hardware, but could modify the existing components. I know this sounds strange, but I have to work with what I have and cannot introduce any new hardware. While my rudimentary paperclip trick works, I'm worried it will eventually take its toll on the drive. More importantly, it's prone to human error (forgetfulness) which results in a lot of adminsitrative paperwork.
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2012 5:23:51 PM

Forgot to mention, all USB interfaces are disabled for security reasons anyway.
m
l

Best solution

May 31, 2012 2:12:41 PM

Hi, I found this thread while searching for an answer to the exact opposite problem - i.e. my cd-drive ejects when I shutdown and I wanted to prevent this!

I know how I caused it, so I have one fix. Anyway, out of curiosity, I changed the drive letter of my cd-drive from "d:" to "b:". It seems that Windows 7 still assumes drives "a:" and "b:" must be floppy drives and automatically ejects on shutdown!

Maybe something as simple as changing your cd-drive letter to "a:" or "b:" will cause the effect you were looking for!
HTH, Simon.
a b G Storage
May 31, 2012 2:28:10 PM

sg78 said:
Hi, I found this thread while searching for an answer to the exact opposite problem - i.e. my cd-drive ejects when I shutdown and I wanted to prevent this!

I know how I caused it, so I have one fix. Anyway, out of curiosity, I changed the drive letter of my cd-drive from "d:" to "b:". It seems that Windows 7 still assumes drives "a:" and "b:" must be floppy drives and automatically ejects on shutdown!

Maybe something as simple as changing your cd-drive letter to "a:" or "b:" will cause the effect you were looking for!
HTH, Simon.

Props to you sg78! Just tried this on W764 and it worked. I'm guessing this works with ALL versions of windows as well.

Man it's such a simple "fix" I can't believe I never thought of it.
m
l
May 31, 2012 5:22:35 PM

Awesome! I reckon it must be a bug in Windows but in any case it seems to do what you need!
m
l
a b G Storage
May 31, 2012 5:51:07 PM

sg78 said:
Awesome! I reckon it must be a bug in Windows but in any case it seems to do what you need!

Ahh yes perfect for JSullivan84. I was merely here to find out if there was a simple "fix" for this "issue", and you provided one, a good one at that - which doesn't require "hacks" to work.

IMO this seems to be the best way for the OP to fix this issue.

I will keep this knowledge from now on for future reference!
m
l
May 31, 2012 5:54:19 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Ahh yes perfect for JSullivan84. I was merely here to find out if there was a simple "fix" for this "issue", and you provided one, a good one at that - which doesn't require "hacks" to work.

Well I discovered the effect by accident really but hey, glad it proved useful to someone!!
m
l
May 31, 2012 5:55:55 PM

Chainzsaw said:

Oh and I've just realised I got your post mixed up with OP but yeah I hope it proves useful there too!
m
l
June 11, 2012 4:47:34 PM

sg78 said:

HTH, Simon.

Thank you, it works perfectly! What a novel exploitation of windows behavior! Zero hacks involved +10!
m
l
June 11, 2012 4:48:33 PM

Best answer selected by jsullivan84.
m
l
!