Closed Solved

How Much Fps Will I Get ?

Hi ! I want to know how much Frame rates will i get with the following specs at the resolution of 1280 x 960 On GTA 4 !

I want to max out texture quality ,reflection resolution ,water quality,shadow quality , texture filter quality !

And i want to keep the view distance of 25 and others also 25 !

Intel core 2 duo 2.9ghz
3 Gb ddr2 ram
ati radeon hd 5770 1gb ram
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    You really need a quad core. The game is limited by the CPU. In fact, your 5770 will get bottle necked by the CPU. The main reason is because when they ported GTA IV to the PC from the consoles, they didn't do a good job of optimizing it. In fact, don't expect the game to look really good, even on the max settings because of this being ported from consoles.

I had an ATI HD 3870 on an AMD64 X2 4200+ and I was lucky to get 25 FPS on the lowest settings.

I upgraded my machine to an AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition and immediately, my FPS went to around 39 on the highest settings with my 3870.

Today, my 5750 came in, but since I'm at work, I can't say how much better it will be, but definitely, dual core CPUs are not enough for this game.
  2. What he said. If your Core2Duo is an E7400 or or an E6+XXX, you should be alright with bottlenecking. However, a good overclock to 3.4 ghz will help to solve your problems, though ultimately a Q6600 would be much better..
  3. 0 < your fps < infinity
  4. The answer is 42
  5. Scotteq said:
    The answer is 42

Whats scary is you could well be correct in this case.

As stated above, GTA4 is one of few games for which multiple CPU cores increases performance substantially.
  6. 56.678901233 FPS.

According to Bob's made up and pulled out of his ass FPS calculator.
  7. 42 is the answer to everything, which is also the reason earth exists. Check the "Hitchikers guide to the galaxy" by Douglas Adams.
  8. I hate that film.
  9. How many nanometers long is you're penis?

Answer: "42".
  10. As always, the book is far better than the film.
  11. dndhatcher said:
    As always, the book is far better than the film.

I'll take your word for it : )
  12. If i upgrade my cpu to Q6600 how much fps will i get ?

And one more thing will i be able to put a quad core in core 2 duo slot ?? or should i buy a new motherboard ?
  13. James124 said:
    If i upgrade my cpu to Q6600 how much fps will i get ?

It depends. However, you should get over 40 fps. With my AMD Phenom II X3 720 and ATI HD 5750, I get close to 50 fps.

As for upgrading your CPU, if you're sticking with Intel, you'll probably want the i7's which is a different socket than the Core 2 Duos. They are faster and better than the Core 2 Duos and will give you the boost you need.

Or, if you really want to save money, you could go to an AMD Phenom II. This again would require an upgrade to your motherboard. If you do go AMD, go with the Phenom IIs. Stay away from the Athlon IIs as those have only two caches as opposed to the three caches that the Phenom IIs have. It definitely does make a difference in performance.

Also, whether you go Intel or AMD, you might have to upgrade your memory as the newer boards require DDR2 or DDR3 memory, unless your current board is running DDR2. Then, you're good to go.
  14. you don't have to change your motherboard, but you might have to update your motherboards BIOS to support a Q6600.

You'll get big gains in games that use 4 cores like GTA and BFBC2.
  15. Where and how to upgrade the motherboard bios ? please help me !
  16. what motherboard do you have?, need to know the manufacture and model

For example: ASUS P5Q-E
  17. James124 said:
    Where and how to upgrade the motherboard bios ? please help me !

Who is the manufacturer of your motherboard? Go to their website and look for bios upgrades.
  18. Wow thanks guy ! thank you very much ! My motherboard is Intel dg31pr and it is supported for quad and core 2 duo !

Im going to buy q6600 and ati radeon hd 5770 ! how much fps will i get with gta 4 ?
  19. alot at 1280 x 960

Enjoy.
  20. James124 said:
    Wow thanks guy ! thank you very much ! My motherboard is Intel dg31pr and it is supported for quad and core 2 duo !

Im going to buy q6600 and ati radeon hd 5770 ! how much fps will i get with gta 4 ?

We can't give you an actual number. It should be over 40 though which is very playable for this game. The main thing is, you'll be able to turn up the detail and not have to play at 800x600.

As I said, with my rig (Phenom II X3 720 overclocked from 2.8 to 3.3 with an unlocked 4th core, overclocked HD 5750), I'm getting over 45 FPS (close to 50).
  21. last thing is intel core 2 quad and quad core are same ?
  22. depends. Any Core 2 quad (socket 775) will work in your motherboard providing your BIOS supports it.

But Core i5 and Core i7 are also quad cores but are not compatible with your motherboard.
  23. Best answer selected by james124.
  24. OK thank you guys for your help !
  25. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Resolution FPS Graphics