How Much Fps Will I Get ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James124

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hi ! I want to know how much Frame rates will i get with the following specs at the resolution of 1280 x 960 On GTA 4 !

I want to max out texture quality ,reflection resolution ,water quality,shadow quality , texture filter quality !

And i want to keep the view distance of 25 and others also 25 !

Intel core 2 duo 2.9ghz
3 Gb ddr2 ram
ati radeon hd 5770 1gb ram

Solution
You really need a quad core. The game is limited by the CPU. In fact, your 5770 will get bottle necked by the CPU. The main reason is because when they ported GTA IV to the PC from the consoles, they didn't do a good job of optimizing it. In fact, don't expect the game to look really good, even on the max settings because of this being ported from consoles.

I had an ATI HD 3870 on an AMD64 X2 4200+ and I was lucky to get 25 FPS on the lowest settings.

I upgraded my machine to an AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition and immediately, my FPS went to around 39 on the highest settings with my 3870.

Today, my 5750 came in, but since I'm at work, I can't say how much better it will be, but definitely, dual core CPUs are not enough for this game.

isamuelson

Distinguished
You really need a quad core. The game is limited by the CPU. In fact, your 5770 will get bottle necked by the CPU. The main reason is because when they ported GTA IV to the PC from the consoles, they didn't do a good job of optimizing it. In fact, don't expect the game to look really good, even on the max settings because of this being ported from consoles.

I had an ATI HD 3870 on an AMD64 X2 4200+ and I was lucky to get 25 FPS on the lowest settings.

I upgraded my machine to an AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition and immediately, my FPS went to around 39 on the highest settings with my 3870.

Today, my 5750 came in, but since I'm at work, I can't say how much better it will be, but definitely, dual core CPUs are not enough for this game.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished

It depends. However, you should get over 40 fps. With my AMD Phenom II X3 720 and ATI HD 5750, I get close to 50 fps.

As for upgrading your CPU, if you're sticking with Intel, you'll probably want the i7's which is a different socket than the Core 2 Duos. They are faster and better than the Core 2 Duos and will give you the boost you need.

Or, if you really want to save money, you could go to an AMD Phenom II. This again would require an upgrade to your motherboard. If you do go AMD, go with the Phenom IIs. Stay away from the Athlon IIs as those have only two caches as opposed to the three caches that the Phenom IIs have. It definitely does make a difference in performance.

Also, whether you go Intel or AMD, you might have to upgrade your memory as the newer boards require DDR2 or DDR3 memory, unless your current board is running DDR2. Then, you're good to go.

James124

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Wow thanks guy ! thank you very much ! My motherboard is Intel dg31pr and it is supported for quad and core 2 duo !

Im going to buy q6600 and ati radeon hd 5770 ! how much fps will i get with gta 4 ?

isamuelson

Distinguished

We can't give you an actual number. It should be over 40 though which is very playable for this game. The main thing is, you'll be able to turn up the detail and not have to play at 800x600.

As I said, with my rig (Phenom II X3 720 overclocked from 2.8 to 3.3 with an unlocked 4th core, overclocked HD 5750), I'm getting over 45 FPS (close to 50).

Status
Not open for further replies.