Sign in with
Your question

Bku-ray question

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2010 12:23:51 AM

Hi
Is it possible to run blu-ray movies in windows xp 32 bit? secondly the problem is that when i insert a blu-ray movie, in windows xp, the icon of the blu-ray drive doesnt change in my computer and i am unable to access the drive. Windows gives an error saying "disc is not readable or is corrupted....". but when i run anydvd, it detects the disc and can also rip it onto the hdd. but when i run the same drive on windows 7, the disc is accessible through my computer. why is this so?
secondly, i have intel gma x3100, with latest drivers, and when i run the blu-ray disc with powerdvd it gives me an error that the drivers are not compatible with this software. this is in windows xp.
i will be really grateful if someone can tell me how to fix these problems. hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks

More about : bku ray question

a b à CPUs
June 24, 2010 7:30:40 PM

windows xp is obviously incompatible with the file system, power dvd should play it just fine, any intel igp is not good enough for blu ray xept m maybe for 4500hd, get a 5450, this should make ur problems with playing go away
June 24, 2010 7:33:44 PM

xaira said:
windows xp is obviously incompatible with the file system, power dvd should play it just fine, any intel igp is not good enough for blu ray xept m maybe for 4500hd, get a 5450, this should make ur problems with playing go away

hi
thanks for your reply
but i have hear from people that blu-ray when inserted is accessible in my computer in windows xp. but then i dont understand why it does not work for me. in windows 7 it gets detected but not in windows xp
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 8:32:24 AM

Get a player that support Blu-Ray file...
try WMPC...
Intel IGP is enough for playing blu ray videos, it's more CPU demanding... :) 
June 25, 2010 8:31:54 PM

Could you list your optical disc drive model (right mouse-click on "My Computer" *FYI the shortcut version will not work*, select "Manage" from the menu; when a window pops up, on the left side click on "Device Manager". This will list everything hardware-wise Windows detects. Ultimately, your problem has nothing to do with running Microsoft Windows XP; nor the IGP for that matter. The most likely cause is a) on your Windows XP machine the wrong drivers are installed/associated with the wrong hardware or b) you do not have; or do not have properly configured; the correct codecs to recognize and decode the data stream. I would recommend uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, also check for any firmware updates. Anyways, try downloading and installing the Combined Community Codec Pack.

Link: "http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp"

As far as media players go, Media Player Classic is probably your best bet. :D 
June 25, 2010 10:14:29 PM

Diabolical User said:
Could you list your optical disc drive model (right mouse-click on "My Computer" *FYI the shortcut version will not work*, select "Manage" from the menu; when a window pops up, on the left side click on "Device Manager". This will list everything hardware-wise Windows detects. Ultimately, your problem has nothing to do with running Microsoft Windows XP; nor the IGP for that matter. The most likely cause is a) on your Windows XP machine the wrong drivers are installed/associated with the wrong hardware or b) you do not have; or do not have properly configured; the correct codecs to recognize and decode the data stream. I would recommend uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, also check for any firmware updates. Anyways, try downloading and installing the Combined Community Codec Pack.

Link: "http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp"

As far as media players go, Media Player Classic is probably your best bet. :D 

Hi
Thanks for your reply
I have LG HL-04P. I cant find any firmware of it though. i installed windows 7 and it worked fine and also played blu-ray movies, but when i use this drive in windows xp, i cannot play the movies. if i want to play a movie then i have to first rip it in my hdd, using anydvd, and then watch it with vlc player. also i am unable to burn any dvd or cd, even though it is said to burn dvds and cds. when i insert a blank dvd or cd, the drive acts as if there is nothing in it, no dvd or cd. hope anyone can come up with a solution to my problem. thanks
June 25, 2010 11:55:01 PM

Just to confirm a few things, does your Windows XP machine properly recognize it in the BIOS? Have you tried playing movies in safe mode? Is there a yellow exclamation mark by your optical disc drive in device manager? In device manager; if you right mouse-click the drive, select "Properties" from the menu; when the properties windows pops up, there should be 5 tabs to choose from; select the DVD Region tab, now near the bottom in the current region box, what does that say? Does your Blu-Ray drive's Regional settings correspond to the Blu-Ray discs you are trying to play? Aside from all of this, I haven't been able to find anything on LG's site about this drive; which is going to be most reputable source for product information. Possibly meaning that "LG HL-04P" might not actually be the model? If possible, please list the information (you can omit the serial number) that's printed on the drive physically.

-Best of luck
June 26, 2010 12:05:12 AM

Diabolical User said:
Just to confirm a few things, does your Windows XP machine properly recognize it in the BIOS? Have you tried playing movies in safe mode? Is there a yellow exclamation mark by your optical disc drive in device manager? In device manager; if you right mouse-click the drive, select "Properties" from the menu; when the properties windows pops up, there should be 5 tabs to choose from; select the DVD Region tab, now near the bottom in the current region box, what does that say? Does your Blu-Ray drive's Regional settings correspond to the Blu-Ray discs you are trying to play? Aside from all of this, I haven't been able to find anything on LG's site about this drive; which is going to be most reputable source for product information. Possibly meaning that "LG HL-04P" might not actually be the model? If possible, please list the information (you can omit the serial number) that's printed on the drive physically.

-Best of luck

Hi
my machine properly detects the drive.
I havent tried playing it in safe mode also because in safe mode the vga drivers arent installed and thus i dont think it will run the movie.
there is no yellow exclamation mark in device manager
there is not tab for regional settings. but it is region C i think the one with china and stuff. but the movies i run is region free
Yeah u r right. it is very hard to find information on this drive model. the fact is that the model i said is the correct model. due to the fact that it is a rare model, thats y i was not able to find its firmware. but last night i found one firmware for it but have no clue how to install it. its a ROM file.
Hope these answers can help you find a solution. thanks
a c 145 à CPUs
June 26, 2010 12:56:08 AM

as far as I've been able to determine, this drive originally only shipped in the US in blu-ray players by LG and JVC which helps explain why its not lised on LG's site. Its also known as the MT8575 in russia if what I've read is correct. In any event it wasn't a decent player which probably why its so cheap and flooding the market now and has no official LG support.
June 26, 2010 1:14:47 AM

Alright, thanks for the update. I still recommend trying to play the movie(s) in safe mode (safe mode only loads the necessary core drivers, this includes drivers for displaying video; albeit low resolution and unoptimized *AMD's/Nvidia's drivers will not be loaded*). I thought there would be a regional tab but, I don't know what to tell you there. It looks like you're absolutely right about the drive being a rare model; I was just hoping that wasn't the case. :) 

If for only curiosities sake, here is a link for more information on DVD Region Code: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code".

By any chance are you familiar with the process of flashing a BIOS via floppy disc? The process for updating the drives firmware could be similar (but should be performed with extreme caution). If not, I can point you in the right direction.
August 31, 2010 2:58:23 PM

lordszone said:
Hi
Thanks for your reply
I have LG HL-04P. I cant find any firmware of it though. i installed windows 7 and it worked fine and also played blu-ray movies, but when i use this drive in windows xp, i cannot play the movies. if i want to play a movie then i have to first rip it in my hdd, using anydvd, and then watch it with vlc player. also i am unable to burn any dvd or cd, even though it is said to burn dvds and cds. when i insert a blank dvd or cd, the drive acts as if there is nothing in it, no dvd or cd. hope anyone can come up with a solution to my problem. thanks

Hi lordszone,

I have the same drive but it doesn't play blueray disks on Windoes 7 unless AnyDVD is installed to break AACS protection. Do you have AnyDVD installed on your Windows 7 machine? I think this drive lacks some hardware the capability to play AACS protected disks. I am about to ship it back to China where I bought it from on EBay but if you have a way to get this to work on Windows 7 without buying AnyDVD it would be great help. Thanks.
!