J_4mes

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I am having serious issues with my hardware at the moment and I am struggling to find out what the culprit is within my machine and was wondering if anyone out there could help me find a solution or if not, at least a cause

An Example :

My machine is getting on now and i've tested the heat of my CPU, my GPU, my Motherboard, reasearched the average temperature of these three showing they do not seem to be out of the ordinary

GPU - standby temperature 46 Degree's
Gaming temperature 49-53 Degree's

MB - standby temperature 38 Degree's

CPU - standby temperature 21-45 Degree's (Fluctuates violently within seconds, so the accuracy of this is unsure)

One thing to note is that my 40mm Chipset fan has failed completly and no longer moves and Im sure its worth changing however I dont think its the cause of the issue.

Another thing to add is that this problem is not restricted to any particular game, it happens to anything I am playing

J_4mes

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Forgot to add computer spec also with the new thread

7900GS Nvidia
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2Gig Ram

CPU wise my physical memory runs at 40-42% when idle, basic things open such as MSN and desktop and runs about 55-60% with firefox open.

Virtual memory sits at around 35-36% mark and at the moment my virtual memory is set as 4,967mb as the total.

CPU with firefox&game running (Face of mankind) I am at 88% physical memory and virtual memory at 54% so its not as if the game is really pushing my computer. But again, this problem hasnt been around forever its recently appeared in the last 4-5months

J_4mes

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I have updated my graphics card and I know for sure 100% that my GPU is up to date, the only significant thing that is out of date is the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (According to Driver Detective) but I know little about this and even less so where to find appropriate drivers (and ive been looking online for hours)

A lot passes through that SB and if I were you I wouldn't dicker around about changing the fan. That could indeed be the problem. And if it has been going on for a while and you kept ignoring it, it may have begun destroying your mother board..... the graphics picture above shows a failing card... probably heat related and/or from trying to over clock the card. You might try under clocking the card..... memory and processor ( on the card ) doesn't take much to destroy a memory module.

J_4mes

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I dont think my card is overclockable, if there is a way to underclock it by 5-10% to maybe make it run smoother I could try. The graphics issue actually stopped for a month about 2months ago, and has come back again strongly in the past week so getting pretty tired of a tempremental machine.

I think I have a program that can over/under clock, is that a reasnable thing to try?

Also on a side note, im not sure but I think the 40mm fan is intended for the GPU to extract heat away from it, which is why i didnt think it was necessary (but of course helpful) as obviously my gpu has a fan built in.

Any thoughts on what ive said?

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1819
Link to my motherboard (its the winFast fan in white im refering to)

semu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Remove your current gpu drivers and install them again. If that won't work, there can be something wrong in the gpu or psu itself.

J_4mes

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I was tempted to try that I just want to be sure that my machine is still useable when I uninstall the Graphics cards drivers. If its not, what is the safe way to do so?