Sign in with
Your question

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB

Last response: in Storage
May 22, 2012 5:43:58 PM

Can't find a review on this drive, it isn't on JohnnyLucky's website either. Is it just a re-branded something else? Looking for a review on this or some information on the NAND and what not.
a c 283 G Storage
May 22, 2012 8:48:02 PM

You're right. I don't have anything listed in the ssd database and there are no technical reviews.

In addition, Mushkin does not list an Enhanced Chronos on their ssd web page:

http://www.mushkin.com/Digital-Storage/SSDs.aspx

What you will find is the name "Mushkin Enhanced" sometimes used in place of the traditional "Mushkin" brand name.
m
l
May 22, 2012 8:49:50 PM

So that drive is just the Mushkin Chronos then?
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 G Storage
May 22, 2012 8:55:15 PM

Yes.

The Mushkin Enhanced Chronos is actually the Chronos.

The Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe is actually the Chronos Deluxe.
m
l
May 22, 2012 9:00:04 PM

Chronos Deluxe is actually pretty high end. For $1/GB it's a steal. Don't know why people don't recommend it.
m
l
May 22, 2012 9:58:08 PM

Yeah the Chronos Deluxe is amazing, I just saw the Chronos on sale on newegg for 83 cents a gig, I was going to get it but would rather have the Deluxe :p 

JohnnyLucky said:
There are quite a few brands and models down to $1.00 per GB or less. Here is a link to today's best ssd deals:

http://www.logicbuy.com/categorydeals/computers/hard-dr...

Scroll down a bit until you come to the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB ssd. It is on sale for $199.99 and shipping is free.

All I see is the Enhanced there? Not the deluxe?
m
l
May 22, 2012 10:13:00 PM

dude get the deluxe while you still can. i have it and its awesome. it also uses toggle nand which btw is found on the patroit wildfire and the vertex 3 max iops
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
May 22, 2012 10:35:58 PM

Helltech - Your right. The Chronos Deluxe is $30.00 more at newegg. That dang blasted "enhanced" confuses me too.
m
l
May 22, 2012 10:43:14 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Helltech - Your right. The Chronos Deluxe is $30.00 more at newegg. That dang blasted "enhanced" confuses me too.

Haha glad to know I'm not the only one confused by that. Appreciate the help though. :)  30 dollars more is still under a dollar a gig, I might get it. :o  Is that the cheapest Tier 1 SSD?
m
l
May 22, 2012 11:24:34 PM

To clarify, Mushkin Enhanced is their full brand name...

Cheers!
m
l
May 22, 2012 11:27:12 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Here is the Tom's Hardware hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-storage-value,3...

Samsung 830 is on sale and definitely worth considering. Samsung uses toggle NAND TheBigTroll mentioned.

Is the Samsung 830 at 225 dollars a better buy? It’s more GB and a couple dollars less. I know the mushkin drives are super reliable don't know much about Samsung.

Also I'm aware of the hierarchy chart, what confuses me (just because I don't research enough) is, sans the few they list in the article, I don't know which drives exactly have which NAND. A good example of this is a SanDisk drive that uses the same in the Wildfire but is unlisted.
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
May 22, 2012 11:43:19 PM

HellaRedwoodz said:
To clarify, Mushkin Enhanced is their full brand name...

Cheers!

Agreed. The problem is Mushkin does not use the full brand name on their own web site and neither do the technical review sites. They full brand name only shows up at online vendor sites.

Helltech - Somewhere I ran across a chart that just lists ssd's and the type of NAND used. I'll see if I can find it and post a link. I don't get excited about toggle NAND because most gamers and home users are not doing anything with their pc's that requires toggle NAND. It makes more sense over in the enterprise and scientific side of the niche.
m
l
May 22, 2012 11:55:06 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Agreed. The problem is Mushkin does not use the full brand name on their own web site and neither do the technical review sites. They full brand name only shows up at online vendor sites.

Helltech - Somewhere I ran across a chart that just lists ssd's and the type of NAND used. I'll see if I can find it and post a link. I don't get excited about toggle NAND because most gamers and home users are not doing anything with their pc's that requires toggle NAND. It makes more sense over in the enterprise and scientific side of the niche.

Yeah i know it doesn't make much of a difference to normal users, it's just something about getting the best you can. I have a problem. Kind of like my build (at the time) it was way over the top and everything was just on the verge of being released. Now its outdated, but oh well that's how it goes and it doesn't bother me :p 

So looking at and comparing drives, that Samsung 256GB at less than a dollar a GB seems like a really good deal, something I'm missing here? I would like to pick up two for a raid 0 and replace my 300GB Velociraptor.
m
l
May 23, 2012 12:00:57 AM

I've had the 240gb Mushkin enhanced chronos deluxe for like 8 months now and it is still as awesome as the day I got it. It's a steal at today's prices, it was like $500 when I bought it. Ridiculously fast and never had any issues at all with it, even way back when the sandforce drives were plagued with BSOD's.
m
l
May 23, 2012 12:34:53 AM

Yeah for the price it is I want to pick up to, but then again the Samsung is cheaper and more drive space.
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:23:26 PM

Energy96 said:
I've had the 240gb Mushkin enhanced chronos deluxe for like 8 months now and it is still as awesome as the day I got it. It's a steal at today's prices, it was like $500 when I bought it. Ridiculously fast and never had any issues at all with it, even way back when the sandforce drives were plagued with BSOD's.

that sucks for you. i picked it up for like 200 bucks on an extreme deal
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:24:28 PM

toggle nand is better than standard synchronous nand because its faster, more reliable, and has more write cycles. the 20 extra bucks i think is totally worth it
m
l
May 24, 2012 11:34:14 PM

TheBigTroll said:
that sucks for you. i picked it up for like 200 bucks on an extreme deal

That's the price you pay to be an early adopter of technology. I actually got it on sale at the time when comparable drives were still pushing $600. It was still worth every penny, even when it was closer to $500. All it means now is that my next SSD purchase will be more than twice the capacity or more.
m
l
!