Arctic Accelero Hybrid, no 80mm fan ok?

rawrinc_48

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello,
I've noticed on other closed and open loop GPU solutions that I've never seen a fan (besides the one used for the radiator) actually mounted onto the GPU in addition the the waterblock. My question is, does the 80mm fan + shroud that comes with the Accelero Hybrid, necessary in order to keep your VRAM and GPU cool? Won't the GPU be fine if I just use the waterblock, radiator, and fan?

Here is a picture of the item I want/need to subtract http://content.hwigroup.net/images/news/Arctic_Accelero-Hybrid_04.jpg

I need to know this since I've heard the EVGA 670 4GB FTW+ may not allow for the shroud + 80mm fan to connect onto it, plus its hideous looking.

Thanks guys.

Solution
That fan is there to provide airflow over the VRAM and VRM's on the graphics card, which if not adequately cooled will cause issues. Universal GPU blocks (what the Arctic Accelero basically is) only cool the GPU's of the card so you have to use heatsinks on the VRAM and VRM's to cool them. Being heatsinks, you still require airflow over them to work.
If you think your case airflow is sufficient for this job, then you can remove the 80mm fan and shroud if you wanted. Would just be wary of how stable the card is, and monitor card temperatures other than just the GPU.

Full cover water blocks don't require fans on the block itself as they include the VRAM/VRM's into the water loop, so its heat will be carried away to be dissipated by a...

rawrinc_48

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks for the reply, ok I will be sure to install the little heatsinks. So yours runs fine without the little 80mm fan? Do you think simply having an open case is sufficient enough airflow for the vram and vrms?

That fan is there to provide airflow over the VRAM and VRM's on the graphics card, which if not adequately cooled will cause issues. Universal GPU blocks (what the Arctic Accelero basically is) only cool the GPU's of the card so you have to use heatsinks on the VRAM and VRM's to cool them. Being heatsinks, you still require airflow over them to work.
If you think your case airflow is sufficient for this job, then you can remove the 80mm fan and shroud if you wanted. Would just be wary of how stable the card is, and monitor card temperatures other than just the GPU.

Full cover water blocks don't require fans on the block itself as they include the VRAM/VRM's into the water loop, so its heat will be carried away to be dissipated by a radiator.

An open case wont give you airflow, fans will. Opening the side panel is only recommended when your to trying to figure out if there is a case airflow issue.

Solution