Todays video cards in a PCIe x4 port?

Phewmite

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hello,
I am running a Gateway FX computer, Q6600 (2.4ghz x4, 3gig of ram, Windows XP).

I currently have an Nvidia 9800GT with 1gig of onboard RAM and was looking to upgrade. The trouble I have is my case/motherboard is a BTX form factor and the only PCIe x16 slot is the top slot on the motherboard which won't allow a dual slot video card. My only open slot would be the PCIe x4 slot. Can I put a current video card (looking at GeForce 285, Radeon 5770 or Radeon 5850) into a PCIe x4 slot or should I just plan on getting by with the current card until I can get a new computer?

That fan sticks out pretty far. Looks to me like it would hit a card in the slot next to it.

A 5770 (512MB) is less than 50% faster than a 9800 anyway so it wouldnt be that big of a performance increase.

I would stick with the 9800 until you get a more mainstream motherboard/case. By then nVidia's DX11 cards should be available so you should have better choices anyway.

I am partial only to the best price/performance tempered by reliability and longevity. ATI is right now generally ahead in price/performance, but as the handling of the grey screen issue has shown they are still not up to nvidia's reliability so I am ambivalent. I have both a 9800 GTX+ and a 5770 (which has the driver stop/recover grey screen problem). I also am not confident of nVidias future as they seem to be focused on GPGPU and not gaming graphics, which is the only thing I currently care about in a graphics card.

Phewmite

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I think that card would potentially fit, with it being shorter it wouldn't interfere with the CPU cooler. I was afraid that the reduction in memory would adversly affect the performance that I currently have.

I've had NVidia pretty much exclusively since the GeForce FX was first released, but quite frankly I've been a little disappointed in their blind focus on high end cards. I like gaming, but frankly cannot afford to spend $400-$500 for a graphics card, so like Bob I'm having to look elsewhere. I'd like to see someone (either ATI or NVidia) focus on refining the midstream cards in price/performance/reliability rather than just seeing how fast they can get a card to go.

Thanks for all the great input. I think that for now I will wait to see what happens with the graphic upgrades in the game I play before doing anything.