I have Windows XP Pro with Gigabyte MB with 1 gig of ram with
dual bios. When I go to start-run-ipconfig the window opens
for about 1 second and disappears. I can't ping. Any help
much appreciated. By the way I heard a rumor that Longhorn
is coming out in March or April. Is this true ?
--
Welcome to Windows. If it breaks we
will let you keep both halves.

Doug wrote:
> I have Windows XP Pro with Gigabyte MB with 1 gig of ram with
> dual bios. When I go to start-run-ipconfig the window opens
> for about 1 second and disappears. I can't ping. Any help
> much appreciated. By the way I heard a rumor that Longhorn
> is coming out in March or April. Is this true ?

Do you have any sort of network adapter installed and configured?
(And, just out of curiosity, what's a "dual BIOS?" I'm not familiar
with the term.)

Running IPCONFIG from the Start > Run dialog box _should_ open and
close the CLI (Command Line Interface)in such a manner. To properly see
the results of IPCONFIG, it needs to be initiated from within the CLI.
Click Start > Run, and then type in "CMD" and press <Enter>. At the
command prompt of the CLI window, type "IPCONFIG /?," and press <Enter>.
Omit the quote marks ( " ) when typing the commands.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

ok, nevermind. I can ping www.yahoo.com so I am happy.
still can't ping microsoft though. Maybe they don't want
to be bothered at this time. Thanks for the info. Anyone
know about the Longhorn ?

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Pro with Gigabyte MB with 1 gig of ram with
> > dual bios. When I go to start-run-ipconfig the window opens
> > for about 1 second and disappears. I can't ping. Any help
> > much appreciated. By the way I heard a rumor that Longhorn
> > is coming out in March or April. Is this true ?
>

> Do you have any sort of network adapter installed and configured?
> (And, just out of curiosity, what's a "dual BIOS?" I'm not familiar
> with the term.)
>
> Running IPCONFIG from the Start > Run dialog box _should_ open and
> close the CLI (Command Line Interface)in such a manner. To properly see
> the results of IPCONFIG, it needs to be initiated from within the CLI.
> Click Start > Run, and then type in "CMD" and press <Enter>. At the
> command prompt of the CLI window, type "IPCONFIG /?," and press <Enter>.
> Omit the quote marks ( " ) when typing the commands.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Bruce it beats the heck out of me what dual bios is. It was
on the box when I bought the MB. I build all of my on computers and just buy
the best MB's I can find, which are
usually Gigabytes. Thanks for the info on cmd

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Pro with Gigabyte MB with 1 gig of ram with
> > dual bios. When I go to start-run-ipconfig the window opens
> > for about 1 second and disappears. I can't ping. Any help
> > much appreciated. By the way I heard a rumor that Longhorn
> > is coming out in March or April. Is this true ?
>

> Do you have any sort of network adapter installed and configured?
> (And, just out of curiosity, what's a "dual BIOS?" I'm not familiar
> with the term.)
>
> Running IPCONFIG from the Start > Run dialog box _should_ open and
> close the CLI (Command Line Interface)in such a manner. To properly see
> the results of IPCONFIG, it needs to be initiated from within the CLI.
> Click Start > Run, and then type in "CMD" and press <Enter>. At the
> command prompt of the CLI window, type "IPCONFIG /?," and press <Enter>.
> Omit the quote marks ( " ) when typing the commands.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Yes I have a D-link broadband router with 3 computers on my
home network. I tried to ping microsoft.com using cmd and it
says 4 packets sent 4 packets lost. However I am on the net with this
computer so the router shouldn't be a problem should it ?

Doug wrote:
> Yes I have a D-link broadband router with 3 computers on my
> home network. I tried to ping microsoft.com using cmd and it
> says 4 packets sent 4 packets lost. However I am on the net with this
> computer so the router shouldn't be a problem should it ?

A great many companies have set their servers to ignore ICMP (ping)
requests, as such are often used to launch crude DoS (Denial of Service)
attacks.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Doug wrote:
>By the way I heard a rumor that Longhorn
is coming out in March or April. Is this true ?

That 'may' be near the release date of the first beta version.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

null

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> Yes I have a D-link broadband router with 3 computers on my
>> home network. I tried to ping microsoft.com using cmd and it
>> says 4 packets sent 4 packets lost. However I am on the net with this
>> computer so the router shouldn't be a problem should it ?
>>

> A great many companies have set their servers to ignore ICMP (ping)
> requests, as such are often used to launch crude DoS (Denial of Service)
> attacks.

Point of clarification: their firewalls, not their servers, are dropping
(ignoring) the ICMP requests.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

null wrote:

> Point of clarification: their firewalls, not their servers, are dropping
> (ignoring) the ICMP requests.

You're correct, of course. My bad. Thanks for correcting my
"imprecise" choice of wording.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> (And, just out of curiosity, what's a "dual BIOS?" I'm not familiar with
> the term.)

Backup BIOS on the motherboard. If the main one gets corrupted (e.g.
flashing with the wrong file) it will boot from the secondary BIOS allowing
the main BIOS to be reflashed or copied from the secondary.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

you prob have ping blocked in your routers software...

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes I have a D-link broadband router with 3 computers on my
> home network. I tried to ping microsoft.com using cmd and it
> says 4 packets sent 4 packets lost. However I am on the net with this
> computer so the router shouldn't be a problem should it ?
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> Doug wrote:
>> > I have Windows XP Pro with Gigabyte MB with 1 gig of ram with
>> > dual bios. When I go to start-run-ipconfig the window opens
>> > for about 1 second and disappears. I can't ping. Any help
>> > much appreciated. By the way I heard a rumor that Longhorn
>> > is coming out in March or April. Is this true ?
>>

>> Do you have any sort of network adapter installed and configured?
>> (And, just out of curiosity, what's a "dual BIOS?" I'm not familiar
>> with the term.)
>>
>> Running IPCONFIG from the Start > Run dialog box _should_ open and
>> close the CLI (Command Line Interface)in such a manner. To properly see
>> the results of IPCONFIG, it needs to be initiated from within the CLI.
>> Click Start > Run, and then type in "CMD" and press <Enter>. At the
>> command prompt of the CLI window, type "IPCONFIG /?," and press <Enter>.
>> Omit the quote marks ( " ) when typing the commands.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

CripHook

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
wait so what if i go on start, run, cmd, then ipconfig and it tells me that it is a non recognizable internal or external operable programs or batch file??