gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello, I'm considering a UPS Power supply and want an adequate amount to back up my 750 watt corsair supply. Do I need the equal wattage in the ups? If not then what needs to be considered when determining a ups for my needs. I don't really care much about battery life in the event of a power failure as much as I do WANT TO PROTECT MY PC FOR A GRACEFUL SHUT DOWN.

I'm asking because these UPS supplies are pretty expensive I want enough to protect and dont wanna waste money.

I just finished the Toms Hardware $1500.00, March 2010 build. Its my first build and it has gone great so far not a problem anywhere.

My advise to anyone not sure of themselves on the first build. Do what I did take a build receipe that fits your needs and pocketbook and go for it.

I figured rather than take the chance of hooking together components that might conflict go with a tested and well rated build.

Thanks Tom's Hardware u guys are great.

Thanks in advance.
gerry

AsRock x58 extreme
core i7 930
stock intel cooler
radeon HD 5850
corsair TX 750 ps
dominator tri channel 1600
wd 1 TB

You need to first make a list of all the devices that you need to connect to the UPS for backup.. This includes your rig (primarily means your PSU), monitor and other devices if any.. Then to check on the UPS wattage required, you can perform a safe calculation as [ PSU wattage + monitor wattage in ON condition + other device operating wattages ].. Then select a UPS with a wattage rating a little higher than your calculation..

P.S. - If You've powered speakers, never connect them to any sort of UPS backup..

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010