Will I need to re-install windows after upgrading my motherboard/CPU?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Hi all,

I am upgrading my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and AMD X2 CPU with a Gigabyte MA785-US2H Mobo and an AMD X4 955.

Will I have to reinstall Windows after changing swapping those two upgrades?

Also, If so, I bought my computer with Windows XP saved on a separate drive. I think the problem is that a few years ago when I had a professional swap out my mobo and CPU he ended up using a CD with my activation codes. Since then I could never see the 2nd drive that XP was saved on. I am not even sure if it's still there. It was never a problem till now though. How can I verify I still have XP saved on a 2nd drive?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
As you are going from an Asus mobo to a Gigabyte mobo,,, AND,, the chipsets will most probably be different you will most certainly need to reinstall, however,,, you can save yourself a few steps, copy out your C:/Program files to a separate directory , preferably in another partition, then delete any windoze specific stuff ,then,after the new install copy back into C:/ Program Files,, now then some programs will still run, as they are complete in their directories, whereas others will have to be reinstalled, the main benefit of this method is mostly to make it easy to remember what was what ...:)

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Ok so it looks like I'll have to re-install XP. How can I determine if I still have XP on a separate partition. It's probably as easy as I think it is and it probably did get deleted during my last upgrade but I want to be certain before buying Windows 7 or looking for a loner XP disk.

robert123456

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
You don't need to reinstall Windows after a motherboard upgrade, unless your system is changing architecturally. Or unless you have a corrupt drive obviously.

Install your motherboard with just a processor and master drive. Uninstall all the drivers present in your old installation (like every single one to test stability and determine eventual problems, might include codec packs etc...) Reboot. Install new mobo drivers. Physically install new drives (CD/ DVD/ solid states whatever) and so on and so forth.

It's useless to reinstall windows just for a board upgrade, unless you wish to obviously.

What about this message " The system has gone through a major hardware change and windows has to be reactivated"

LordConrad

Distinguished

If you can't reactivate it online, call Microsoft and tell them you just upgraded your computer and now Windows needs to be reactivated. Microsoft will give you a reactivation code.