Help Pick a Surge Protector

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to find a good power protector/surge protector/etc so I don't lose my PSU again. I'm undergoing a 2nd :cry: RMA for the same problem. It popped and I can only think due to a power surge or something.

Can anyone recommend a good one or some brand names or something so I can try & do some research on them?

Thanks for your time.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
It's an OCZ StealthXstream 700 Watt (although it was 600 when purchased, they upgraded me to the 700 when I did the first RMA).

I will list what is certain about my system.

Video Card: HD 5770
Power Supply, if what the RMA page says is true, it's being replaced with an OCZ700SXS

That's all I can list that is certain. My current system will be changing so won't list them as I am going to be getting better Mobo,CPU, RAM & case.

I was going to get Sandy Bridge, but since they are no longer on the market right now, I don't know what I'll be getting.

The OZC original Stealths were not that good obviously!
I've heard the StealthII's are much improved.
Personally i use a 600W ModXtreme and it's been great for about 1 yr.
The Fatality 550W is good too.
However i can understand if you never want to see another OZC psu in your life.
Btw i use a Cyberpower ups and they come in various models to suit your power requirements.
Mine has been great so far.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
The people in TH's PSU forums said its due to something on my end. Not really looking for a UPS though, as when power goes out 95% of the time I'm not home.

I'll probably p/u another psu for backup. Probably a better OCZ or other good brand.

I have two of these one for my AV equipment and one for my computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120404

I live on the jersey coast and we have lots of wind and get some really bad lightning storm in the summer. I have actually had both of these protectors trip once this past summer in the middle of a storm. The storm took out two TVs and 3 cable boxes but all the equipment plugged into these strips had no problems.

I see no reason to spend more then $20 on a surge suppressor its nothing high tech going on really.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

What about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812102407

It's cheaper than the one you picked (if you take shipping into account), but looks like it protects better. Now, I could be wrong as I have no idea how to really select these things.