Something about moterboard

Geerly

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
So... I've got motherboard which doesn't work alright.
Processor is good, graphics is good, power supply is good. But when I turn on computer it doesn't work, like when processor doesn't get power.
It worked, so I don't think the problem is very special. I checked and there's no any 'burning sign' on motherboard.
My question is: Will cleaning it by using alcohol or any official cleaning agent can make it work?

Do not attempt to clean the motherboard (or any other circuit boards) using any type of liquids including alcohol. Careful cleaning with a can of compressed air is fine.

Check the power supply; may be defective.

Geerly

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I wrote that I checked it and power supply is good.
I'm not good at this, that's why I'm asking. I heard that cleaning motherboard with an alcohol may make it work and compressed air may not be good enough.
I've already cleaned it with compressed air. It's not working.

robert123456

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
You mean when you press a power-switch it doesn't turn on at all right? I assume this because you said it is like when the 4 pin 12v isnt plugged in.

If so it is definitely a power problem, perhaps the 20/24 pin plug isnt properly inserted in its socket? Or your plug's fuse is gone?

Again I assume it does not switch on at all by what you said.

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Hey bud
Plz tell whether the system is not responding to the Power on/Off button of ur Case ?
Or The system fans are all running Including the CPU fan but nothing is appearing on the monitor ?
I will advise u to double check the Wiring .
May be the Power/Reset etc connections are not proper.
May be the 24 Power connector isn't properly fitted and is loose ?
Then U should check the CPU fan connector. Many motherboards doesn't start if the CPU fan isn't detected.
Then check the CPU power connector.
Which model Mother board u have ? If u r sure that everything else is fine and u did all the above then just check whether u have the right amount of power to power the required peripherals.
Even if that doesn't work then may be the MB is dead. RMA it if it is under Warranty and not too old.

Geerly

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Alright. So I did everything that's described in the tutorial Ubrales gave link to.

I want to show you a movie I recorded, which shows how does my beep speaker respond to the situation. Why? Because it's not 'beeping', but 'clicking'. 2 short clicks on the start and 1 after pause. There's no theme for this situation on phoenix bios beeps list.
Please, download it and watch it. If you want I can upload it somewhere else, but it's only 16 MB.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0w1hpf

Please, help.

Here are the Phoenix Beep Codes:

Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes
These audio codes are a little more detailed then the AMI codes. This BIOS emits three sets of beeps. For example, 1 -pause- 3 -pause 3 -pause. This is a 1-3-3 combo and each set of beeps is separated by a brief pause. Listen to this sequence of sounds, count them, and reboot and count again if you have to.

1-1-3 Your computer can't read the configuration info stored in the CMOS. Replace the motherboard.
1-1-4 Your BIOS needs to be replaced.
1-2-1 You have a bad timer chip on the motherboard. You need a new motherboard.
1-2-2 The motherboard is bad.
1-2-3 The motherboard is bad.
1-3-1 You'll need to replace the motherboard.
1-3-3 You'll need to replace the motherboard.
1-3-4 The motherboard is bad.
1-4-1 The motherboard is bad.
1-4-2 Some of your memory is bad.
2-_-_ Any combo of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take it to the shop.
3-1-_ One of the chips on your motherboard is broken. You'll likely need to get another board.
3-2-4 One of the chips on your motherboard that checks the keyboard is broken. You'll likely need to get another board.
3-3-4 Your computer can't find the video card. Is it there? If so, try swapping it with another one and see if it works.
3-4-_ Your video card isn't working. You'll need to replace it.
4-2-1 There's a bad chip on the motherboard. You need to buy another board.
4-2-2 First check the keyboard for problems. If nothing, you have a bad motherboard.
4-2-3 Same as 4-2-2.
4-2-4 One of the cards is bad. Try yanking out the cards one by one to isolate the culprit. Replace the bad one. The last possibility is to buy another motherboard.
4-3-1 Replace the motherboard.
4-3-2 See 4-3-1
4-3-3 See 4-3-1
4-3-4 Time of day clock failure. Try running the setup program that comes with the computer. Check the date and time. If that doesn't work, replace the battery. If that doesn't work, replace the power supply. You may have to replace the motherboard, but that is rare.
4-4-1 Your serial ports are acting up. Reseat, or replace, the I/O card. If the I/O is on the motherboard itself, disable them with a jumper (consult your manual to know which one) and then add an I/O card.
4-4-2 See 4-4-1, but this time is your Parallel port that's acting up.
4-4-3 You math coprocessor is having problems. Run a test program to double-check it. If it is indeed bad, disable it, or replace it.
Low 1-1-2 Your motherboard is having problems
Low 1-1-3 This is an Extended CMOS RAM problem, check your motherboard battery, and motherboard.

From what you describe, this could be it:
2-_-_ Any combo of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take it to the shop.
You can run memtest86 on memory, one stick at a time

Geerly

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I know what are beep codes for the bios(that's phoenix something), but it doesn't match any if it's only 2-1.
Memtest86.. Isn't it designed to check RAM's ? If so - RAM is ok. I checked it under my PC and it works.

2-_-_ Any combo of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad (per Phoenix BIOS)
Maybe you should re-test the RAM

Yes memtest86 is to test the RAM

Geerly

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Ok so...I tested it and it's ok.
I also turned on the pc without RAM on a slot - it didn't beeped for no ram. So now I don't really know what's going on.