Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps occaisionally rebooting itself

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2010 10:28:24 AM

Hi there,

Am hoping that someone out there can give me some advice on this matter.

I recently built myself a new machine and have spent a fair amount of time selecting the parts and saving for it.

The problem is every so often my machine decides to automatically reboot itself. This could happen when I'm playing a game (usually Napoleon Total War) or when watching a movie. I have checked the cpu Temps and they never go above 30 degrees and the case is always cool to the touch. I have run a diagnostic check on the memory and its seems to be ok. I do get a message when the machine boots up saying "cpu fan error press f1 to continue". I disabled this message in the bios as the cpu fan was clearly working (I think this message appears as my fan only runs at speeds of 1200rpm).

However when I use T Probe to look to see the fan speeds It shows that the cpu fan and one of the chassis fans are not running. However I know this not to be true as when I have opened the case I can see all the fans working.

I have been wondering whether I should attempt to update the bios or perhaps the PSU is faulty.

Anyone have any suggestions to why my PC reboots itself from time to time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have included my specs below.

ASUS P7P55D Evo motherboard
i5 750 processor (running at 2.67ghz)
4bg Corsair ram 1600mhz running at 1333 mhz
650w Corsair TX PSU
Radeon 5850 GPU
Antec 300 case
Windows 7 (64 bit)
ThermalRight mux 120 cooler
April 16, 2010 10:44:40 AM

I would think that it is the BIOS. It may be corrupt which a BIOS Update may will fix. Otherwise its likely to be hardware related which would result in the need for a replacement board. There is another possiblity. Check to make sure that you have not plugged the CPU fan onto a Chassi Fan Power Source. They look the same on the board. The fan will run but the BIOS wont like it and think there is a CPU Fan issue.
April 16, 2010 11:00:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will update the BIOS. The CPU fan is connected to where it should according to the instructions that came with the mobo.
!