ashb_kh2

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hello,
I currently have an E5300 at 3.1ghz (won't go any further) and I want to upgrade ready for elder scrolls 5 in November. I'm wondering whether I should get the Core 2 quad q9650 or a core i7, which would mean me upgrading my mobo and RAM, which would be tough because I'm not the richest.
Thanks

I would go for the Q9505 as suggested above or the Q9650. It's the best bang for the buck. You will probably get a little better performance with an i7 CPU, but it's up to you if a possible 5% - 10% improvement is worth spending additional money on the mobo and RAM.

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
It honestly sounds to me like you might want to start a new build. Wait for the sandy bridge processors come out on the market and build one for around $800. It sucks but computer gaming is exspensive.

galeener

Distinguished
If you decide on sandybridge wait for the new chipsets in a month or so to avoid the sata problems they are having now. For the bang for the buck sandy bridge over 1366.
If you just want to be able to play elder scrolls the cpu update would be the cheapest.
You still have plenty of time so like the above poster says wait till 3rd quarter for price checks

Not for games. The OP is specifically looking to improve gaming performance and the difference between i7-920 vs. Q9650 is not 30% (game comparison link). Tom's comparison chart. Jaguarskx is correct.

That said, I would recommend the OP get a good deal on a used s775 C2Q and put the rest of the money towards a video card upgrade where you will notice more of an improvement in games.