Memory: G. Skill 2X4GB DDR3 1333
PSU: Corsair TX650
GPU's: Asus HD7850 2GB (HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2) X2

I'm running this OC for both cards:
GPU clock: 1025MHz
Memory clock: 1350MHz
Voltage: 1.210mV (stock voltage!)
Power Target: 5%

My problem is that both cards (which are the exact same model, but I bought them within 4 months of each other) have stock voltage of 1.210mV..
I'm sure i can run my OC with much lower voltage, and that way the cards would generate much less heat.. the thing is - I can't change the voltage whatsoever.
I tried Asus GPU Tweak (Overclocking Range Enhancement enabled), MSI Afterburner (I don't even give me the option to change voltage), Sapphire TriXX..
Nothing seems to work - in GPU Tweak & TriXX it gives me the option to change the voltage, when i change it and apply, the voltage always stays 1.210mV,
I tried both undervolting and overvolting.. it just doesn't work. I use GPU-Z to monitor the voltages.

Am I missing something here? Is there anything i do wrong?
Any help or info would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hey man, I was just wondering if you ever figured out a solution to this. I have the same card and am experiencing the exact same issue, the voltage locked whether i change it in various overclocking programs or not. I got this card because it's fans are great for overclocking but I can barely do anything if I can't touch the voltage. I find myself wondering if our cards are defective or something, because I've seen plenty of other amazing overclocks with no mention of issues changing voltage. I've got mine at 1100/1370 but Far Cry 3 has been crashing so I really need to tap in to the voltages

Did you ever figure out a solution or at least what the problem is?

talZz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Unfortunately, I didn't.. I contacted Asus technical team and this was the response:
Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service.

Pleaser refer to the specification:
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7850DC22GD5V2/#specifications

The Graphic Card HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2 need Power Consumption up to 150W1 additional 6 pin PCIe power required
And also here we just can recommend to use specification configuration

That would generate much less heat? Please contact your retailer for RMA service to check and test it.

Thank you for your support Asus product. Wish you have a good day.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Later you may receive a satisfaction questionnaire for this service.
Trouble you again with this rating (1 is poor ; 10 is excellent ; 7 or greater than 7 means “satisfied”), in order to provide better service for you.
Best regards
Stephen

:pfff:

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
What a pain, I'm starting to think that ASUS decided to lock the voltage on it sometime recently, cuz in my research I've heard that card companies do that from time to time. That's especially annoying since this card is $220 and you can get 7850s for as low as $180. The entire point of getting this card is because of its awesome heatsink for overclocking so if they really did lock them, it's a totally dick move. I'm looking into returning mine and getting a 7870 instead since with certain deals you can get them for $220 anyway. If I can't get a refund though, I'll try trading it in for another one and see if the other is locked too. I'll update you if that happens, but that whole process will probly take 2-3 weeks.

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Newegg accepted my plea for a refund so unfortunately I won't be able to help any further because I decided to just go with a $300 7950 instead. Assuming you're past the 30-day deadline with Newegg, you may be able to request replacements from ASUS and hope that the ones you get don't have the same issues. Otherwise, I still think you're a very lucky man to have 2 7850s in crossfire, reviews I've read say that combo should outperform any standalone card and should be future proof for a very long time. Sorry I couldn't help any further.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Gigabyte started locking them recently too :(

I read a review for the exact same model before purchasing, then got it and the newer firmware version is locked.

It's a shame they have decided to do this, I want lower voltage and to validate stability myself.

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
It's performing 30% better with the 10% factory overclock than my overclocked 7850 was so I'll live haha. But yeah I bought it on a bit of a whim, but once I decided on a 7950 I wasn't too concerned with over clocking since it was gonna be so much better than my original card. I'm gonna leave it alone til games start catching up. Its running Far Cry 3 maxed (postfx disabled)at 4x AA at 40fps so I'll be good for a while lol. We'll see when bf4 is out though haha

Shadowex99

Honorable
Aug 22, 2014
I'm obviously late but I have the same card but instead of monitoring with GPU-Z just look at the Asus GPU Tweak monitor window. Although it might not say trust me, I move the slider to 1165 and you may think that this is a downclock but no, it's very stable and I sit at 1155 core clock and 5760 Mem Clock (1440 Mem)