cdem

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I'll be putting a new computer together soon, it's main use will be for 3d modelling applications: 3ds Max, ZBrush. I want to know which is the best OS to get. My previous computer had xp and I don't recall any problems with it, I was very happy using it. My current laptop has Vista and I hate it! the explorer crashes too often and the menus are all messed up and difficult to navigate. So, I'm sceptical about Windows 7, is it worth getting over xp because I certainly won't be considering Vista. If it's more similar to Vista I'll probably use xp again. Damn Vista. 32bit, 64bit, home or professional - I just don't know what the differences are, so, considering the software I'll be using - which OS is best?

Thanks and please forgive me asking a software question. ;)

Windows 7 for a new computer. 7 is what Vista was supposed to be and more. I wouldn't want to look myself into an older OS right now.

I would get 64-bit Home Premium, but check to see if your specific programs are compatibile with Windows 7. If not, get 64-bit Professional for the XP mode.

cdem

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I think the main applications i'll be using will be compatible...and what's the difference between home versions and professional ones?

The XP mode. That's basically it. Microsoft has a comparision chart of the different versions on their website, but that's pretty much the only major difference.

EDIT: If your applications were compatible with Vista, they'll be compatible with Win 7.

cdem

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

haha so if I bought Windows 7 Pro then I could just run it in XP mode, kinda defeats the purpose of an upgrade :sarcastic:

One of the most irratating features of Vista was the change of the start menu, in xp I found everything easily available - programs, system tools, etc. but they changed that and all of a sudden I couldn't find the simplest features. I now run Vista in Classic mode which isn't ideal but it's better. How's the interface in Windows 7?

XP mode isn't running the OS as XP. It's running the program as if the OS was XP. It brings the programs up to the level of Windows 7, not the OS down to the level of XP (if that makes since).

I don't find the interface difficult in 7...