Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sandy Bridge Mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2010 12:09:40 AM

With all the buzz about SB has anyone researched what MOBO's are going to come out with it from what companies? I plan on building my pc with SB but with all the hoopla about the CPU ive neglected the mobo scene..

More about : sandy bridge mobo

December 27, 2010 3:12:13 AM

sahall91 said:
With all the buzz about SB has anyone researched what MOBO's are going to come out with it from what companies? I plan on building my pc with SB but with all the hoopla about the CPU ive neglected the mobo scene..

I too been waiting for this new Sandy Bridge mobos to come out for my next PC upgrade. Between Asus, Gigabyte, MSI & Biostar (the only mobo makers going Sandy Bridge), I'll go with Gigagbyte. I think the best Sandy Bridge mobo is Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1956&pageID=9780
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2010 11:25:04 PM

There will be more motherboard manufactures doing SB motherboards than those! Asus, Gigabyte and MSI have theirs listed on their websites now.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 11:27:35 PM

PreferLinux said:
There will be more motherboard manufactures doing SB motherboards than those! Asus, Gigabyte and MSI have theirs listed on their websites now.

I didn't say that there won't be. It just that at present, only those motherboard makers mentioned are going Sandy Bridge.
m
l

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:29:51 AM

I would go ASUS - http://www.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=P67 these are the 1155 MOBO currently listed on their site. 'Currently' the best of the bunch is the ASUS P8P67 PRO http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=HMMvTCuBcZLfu2YL

I am not a Gigabyte fan.

'IF' I built a P67 then it would be on an EVGA MOBO e.g. -> http://www.guru3d.com/news/evga-p67-classified-motherbo...
December 31, 2010 2:42:04 AM

My P67A-UD5 is a very nice board. I choose the UD5 over the UD7 since I'm not going to tri-SLI.
I haven't had the chance to try it out with my 2600k cpu yet, (Was able to pick up both early on boxing day). It's unlocked and runs at 3.4 GHz stock.
Sure looking forward to see how far I can overclock. Sure can hit 4GHz, probably get very close to 5GHz even.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 3:14:02 AM

Both have H67 chipset boards listed too. (The H67 chipset supports the integrated graphics, but not x8/x8 PCIe configurations [only x16/x4].)
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 3:59:34 AM

The majority of the 'bad' MOBO {less user error} are Gigabyte. Hopefully, the GA P67 MOBOs will be better...we'll see.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:14:01 AM

I hope so.
I was badly burned by my $400+ ASUS Striker Extreme mobo and the dreaded "CPU INI" error so I didn't want to go ASUS this time.
I've never used Gigabyte before so I thought I'd give them a try.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 4:29:09 AM

I had 10 bad GA UD3R's in a row. Google UD3R +BSOD +RAID or UD3R +BSOD +SSD
I was the sap who confirmed the issue with SSD and Gigabyte the 'hard' way.

Google "CPU INI" -INF +gigabyte then "CPU INI" -INF +ASUS {count}. Most of those errors are correctable and not the MOBO.

Also, Gigabyte to get the 'Swiss Army Knife' MOBO all too often cuts the bandwidth of the SATA3 to fit in all that junk... For gaming I really recommend EVGA.
m
l
January 11, 2011 6:10:11 AM

So far so good.
My P67A-UD5 mobo has been running good. Other then having to reboot again after powering it on from a cold boot in order to load windows, it seem to work quite good. Also using an SSD for boot and not having any issues so far with it.

I've tried many of those CPU INI fixes and they never helped. I still get that error every so often so I just havce to live with it when it comes, rebooting and clearing the CMOS for 10+ times before it will boot into windows.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2011 4:21:10 PM

Google P67 reviews and read them. I think you'll see that ASUS is the best way to go. There are a lot of reasons for this and some of the reports show why.
m
l
January 14, 2011 1:00:01 AM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
Google P67 reviews and read them. I think you'll see that ASUS is the best way to go. There are a lot of reasons for this and some of the reports show why.

I've read reviews on the P67 motherboards and many are about the ASUS boards. That still doesn't mean that they are the best ones to go with. Just popular.

To quote one reviewer, "That said, the Gigabyte P67A-UD7 was still the highest performer during overclocked speeds of 4.7GHz".

Another, "In gaming performance, the Gigabyte pulls out ahead of the rest, especially in 3DMark 11 where it performs unexpectedly great.".

I guess it really depends on the reviewer.
m
l
January 14, 2011 8:24:26 AM

From what I've seen the last couple days, it seems ASUS really tried to put together a cohesive lineup for the new sandy bridge platform.

The new UEFI seems pretty solid from their presentations in their videos.. I've never overclocked anything,
but the ability to do core changes like that on the fly are pretty impressive..

I'm currently considering a p8p67-m pro for a micro atx build for some general gaming and design programs, and from what I've seen, the ASUS boards seem to do pretty well with that but I haven't put all the hours into researching the msi or gigabyte boards either. I'll admit I was kind of captivated by the well functioning set up in their newegg presentation videos..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 1:23:46 PM

shirodx said:
I've read reviews on the P67 motherboards and many are about the ASUS boards. That still doesn't mean that they are the best ones to go with. Just popular.

To quote one reviewer, "That said, the Gigabyte P67A-UD7 was still the highest performer during overclocked speeds of 4.7GHz".

Another, "In gaming performance, the Gigabyte pulls out ahead of the rest, especially in 3DMark 11 where it performs unexpectedly great.".

I guess it really depends on the reviewer.

Well okay but from what I have seen on the charts, when one mobo wins it is so small a diff it is meaningless. Unless .0005 nanoseconds is a big deal to you. :)  In business, you get popular because of good products, good service and so on.
m
l
January 14, 2011 4:13:27 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
Well okay but from what I have seen on the charts, when one mobo wins it is so small a diff it is meaningless. Unless .0005 nanoseconds is a big deal to you. :)  In business, you get popular because of good products, good service and so on.

True the margins are so small that it doesn't' even matter and I'm sure if you were to rerun the test you'd get a different result again.

Yeah, ASUS does make good products but haven't you notice that over the last few years their quality has been going down?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 4:55:36 PM

shirodx said:
True the margins are so small that it doesn't' even matter and I'm sure if you were to rerun the test you'd get a different result again.

Yeah, ASUS does make good products but haven't you notice that over the last few years their quality has been going down?

No. In fact, I discussed my most important issue of concern when buying (reliability) with several salespeople and along the head tech where I deal. I also did many hours of seaching the net for input from reviews to opinions. This time when buying a new Sandy Bridge board I asked about other big brand name boards as an alternative and to a person, they all said ASUS was the way to go. ASUS was their most reliable board. They don't want hassles and customer complaints so you can bet they will steer buyers where they will have the least trouble. They stock lots of brands so inventory (availability) is not likely the issue here. The other big thing they stressed to me was the fact that an ASUS board gives good value for the money. The new interface of the BIOS is just one example...I understand that took several years to develop and greatly increases the users OC precision adjustment and control. I am not a big OC'er so this really isn't a big issue for me but it is for many gamers. I want no hassles, no crashing, dependable operation and so far, my P8P67 Pro has done that. So did my previous (socket 775) board.

I am not an expert on this stuff but I am an enthusiast. There are a lot of more knowledgeable guys here on this site and I am sure they will have some additional input on this topic. That is a good thing....because we all learn.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 9:48:48 AM

Currently Gigabyte is the market leader in motherboards (in terms of speed and raw power), but I am an Asus fan myself. I don't find problems with MSI as well, so I'd say any one of the three is a good choice when getting a new Sandy Bridge setup.

There are a few things to remember when getting a Sandy Bridge rig though. In terms of power and overclockability, the basic processors just won't cut the deal (thinking about i5 2300, 2400, 2500 and i7 2600 CPU's). Though these processors are fast and run cool, their design limits overclocking ability to almost none (about 7% OC possible).

The real gems are the i5 2500K and the i7 2600K. These processors run VERY cool, and because of their epic design, I've seen overclocked Sandy Bridge CPU's running at 5GHz, with STOCK air cooling! And because of the low heat output, it uses much less energy, and an overclocked i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz uses about the same amount of energy as an i7 950 @ reference...

Also, the price is VERY attractive. The top i7 in the Sandy Bridge setup is a quad core, hyper threaded, 8MB cahce, 3.4GHz monster, and costs about the same (or less) than an i7 950 @ 3.06GHz. And it uses only 95W energy at reference (the same as a Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz).

This means value for money.

The mobo's aren't very expensive as well. A decent LGA1155 mobo will cost you the same as an X58 Gigabyte board.

Guess who is also going Sandy Bridge on his next upgrade...? :D 
m
l
January 19, 2011 12:47:58 AM

I'm sure glad I waited!
m
l
February 6, 2011 2:30:51 AM

Best answer selected by sahall91.
m
l
!