Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multiplier vs bus overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
March 9, 2013 4:04:01 PM

So I have been reading a lot about overclocking the fx 8350. It seems some people use the cpu multiplier and others use the bus. Is one better than the other as far as gaming? Which one do you prefer?
Thanks
I will be sure to select a best answer

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2013 7:30:44 PM

sethandflirt said:
So I have been reading a lot about overclocking the fx 8350. It seems some people use the cpu multiplier and others use the bus. Is one better than the other as far as gaming? Which one do you prefer?
Thanks
I will be sure to select a best answer

The advantage to using an unlocked multi to overclock instead of the old-school bus/base frequency is that you don't have to tend to all the other clocks that are based on their own multi of the FSB. Your system's memory, HT and NB clocks are all based on a 200mhz base frequency. If you get stuck halfway between steps, you might end up with something like 1700mhz RAM frequency or some strange number like 2550mhz NB. That can be ironed out and balanced with time and voltage tweaks, but it's not needed. I have a 8350 and you can go a LONG way with just the multi. Usually you only would start adjusting the base from 200mhz if you've maxed out the potential so that you can't kick it up another .5x on the multiplier, and want to squeeze a hair more out by going up a point or two at a time on the base frequency. Example would be 200 x 25 = 5000, while 200 x 25.5 would be 5100 and in this example not stable. You could go 201 x 25 = 5025. :hello: 
March 9, 2013 8:09:36 PM

Best answer selected by sethandflirt.
m
l
September 22, 2013 3:39:23 PM

But remember that FSB overclocks are far more effective than Multi overclocks. You can better focus on FSB than on multipliers. Think of multipliers as a way to keep VCore and temps under control, and indeed -as ocmusicjunkie said- aim for a sweet spot.

I'm running 13x 350FSB = 4550Mhz.
m
l
!