Sign in with
Your question

RAID long story short thank you!

Last response: in Storage
May 23, 2012 2:36:53 AM

Hello peeps, google is nice to provide me information for the explanation. And the users provide sufficient information, but i dont understand what they are saying! Kinda complex! Can anyone explain to me what RAID drive does? Let's say for 2 hard disk to make a raid drive, does it duplicate everything thats install and stuffs on both the 2 Hard disk? And more explanation in layman term for me!! Thanks a bunch!! =)

More about : raid long story short

May 23, 2012 3:48:33 AM

raid 0 are to increase preformance, so lets say you took 2 SSD's and put them in RAID0 you should be able to get about double the preformance, but if a drive fails, you will be left corrupted files

Raid 1 duplicates the same info over atleast 2 drives, so if 1 we're to fail the info would be there

Raid 5 spreads the data over atleast 3 drives, better for read, but suffers on write speeds

raid 10 spreads data over atleast 4 drives, 2 drives share the same data, so if 1 drive fails, 1 will have the same data as the one that did fail
m
l
a c 529 G Storage
May 23, 2012 4:13:49 AM

There are about 11 different RAID types, each with a different explanation.

An explanation in layman’s term for all RAID types except RAID-0 is this:

RAID combines 2 or more separate drives together and it appears to your operating system as if it’s 1 drive (C: drive, D: drive, etc.).
And if a drive in the RAID dies you can continue to use your pc and continue to access the drive without interruption (but performance will be slower).

RAID is used mostly by businesses because they need to have their systems running 24/7 and don’t want their systems crashing because of a single drive failure.

RAID-0 is different from all other RAID types because it is used strictly for performance and there’s no fault tolerance.
So if you have a RAID-0 array and it’s your C: drive and 1 of the drives die then your pc dies and you wont be able to use it until you replace the faulty drive; and you also lose all of your data.
m
l
Related resources
a c 168 G Storage
May 23, 2012 4:22:31 AM

Good explanations ^^.

But...
Raid-0 is touted as being good for performance which is questionable.
It shows up well in synthetic sequential benchmarks, but does not really deliver better performance in real life for most desktop users.
m
l
May 23, 2012 6:59:41 AM

Ok Dereck, So like you said, RAID 0 is used for performance. So why do people uses RAID 0? Since it doesnt help at all except for boosting the performance of the system. To make it process faster. Wouldnt it be better if i were to just buy a fast RPM SSD? So meaning to say that RAID 0 is rarely used by people am i right to say that?

After seeing this im puzzled, like what you said geo, is it even working out for users? Thats something debatable.

So an example for other RAIDS are like a sheet of paper with double sided printings and reading the same words. If one side has been erased off, the other side still will be able to use. Just slower maybe in terms of processing speed.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 23, 2012 7:24:00 AM

All this info is freely available on this site or simply googling it.
m
l
a c 168 G Storage
May 23, 2012 2:30:34 PM

Here is a link to start you on understanding raid-0 performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1371

If you want performance buy a SSD. ANY SSD. It is 50x faster in random I/O which is what the OS does mostly, and 2-3x faster in sequential I/O.
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:20:50 AM

I know the information is on the sticky too, but just need further clarification. Its easier through conversation isnt it? Just many things where some people wont really understand just by reading it.
m
l
a c 529 G Storage
May 24, 2012 12:34:12 AM

jesperloh said:
Ok Dereck, So like you said, RAID 0 is used for performance. So why do people uses RAID 0?

RAID-0 is for computer hobbyists and system builders. People who like tinkering and overclocking computers to get the most performance out of it.

If you’re a average/normal computer user RAID-0 has no benefit.

Wouldnt it be better if i were to just buy a fast RPM SSD? said:
Wouldnt it be better if i were to just buy a fast RPM SSD?

Yes. Just buy the largest SATA III (6Gb/s) SSD that you can afford.
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:09:57 AM

I see!! Alright! Thanx for the explanation! But SSD is still quite pricey even for 250GB. =(
m
l
!