Sign in with
Your question

My laptop keeps freezing and making a weird noise

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Laptops
Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2010 2:47:12 AM

the noise sounds like a scratched record. it seemed to be coming from the bottom of the laptop. It freezes completely, not even the mouse will move so I end up having to do several emergency shut downs and after one of these shutdowns it had a problem starting up so I shut it down again and did a startup repair and it worked fine till i was logged on then it froze again. i tried asking a friend for help but he thinks it may be alot of virus but he's not sure and neither am i. What could be the problem? need help asap. :( 

btw not sure what category to put this in still..

More about : laptop freezing making weird noise

December 27, 2010 8:41:38 AM

A scratching sound you say? It can be your HDD. A clicking sound is a sign of a dying Hdd. By the way how old is your laptop?
m
l
December 27, 2010 2:06:03 PM

:hello: 
It could be the hard drive as venjhammet said. If that is the case a new laptop hard drive should fix your issue. (They are easy enough to install.)

It could also be a fan rubbing against internal parts. If the fan doesn't run fast enough due to rubbing against the other parts the CPU could over heat and cause the computer to freeze or do emergency shutdowns. To fix this try using a can of compressed air to blow any dust out of the laptop. If that doesn't help and you know it's not the hard drive you may need to take it to a professional. I could fix it but I'm guessing we don't even live in the same state.

Those are the only moving parts in a laptop that would create any kind of sound.

You can run a virus scan but I believe a virus issue is unlikely.
You can also run a memory diagnostic but that would not be the cause of any noise.
m
l
January 2, 2011 11:07:10 PM

venjhammet said:
A scratching sound you say? It can be your HDD. A clicking sound is a sign of a dying Hdd. By the way how old is your laptop?

well it cant be old seeing that i got it straight from the box not more than 3 months ago.. its a Compaq Presario CQ62.. n the noises sounds more like when a record is scratched n keeps skipping playin the same part again n again... i don't doe much of anything to cause the laptop to freeze it just does...
m
l
!