Air compressor for computer cleaning

MKII

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I am looking for a cheaper/greener way to clean out computers than using compressed air cans. For a while I've been thinking about buying a fairly cheap air compressor but from looking on the internet peoples opinions of using air compressors to clean computers seems to be mixed. :??:

However, I've seen this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350248556153&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1404wt_1167

which looks like it would not be too strong for a computer, it has an air regulator and a water trap.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of using a compressor or would you recommend something else?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I recommend a ~3Hp~5Hp shop-vac. (a fairly powerful cannister vacuum).

Why? ... Well becuase it SUCKS ! ... *AND* ... It BLOWS !

I like to use a strong vacuum *first* because dust and "grimey grout" can be blown FURTHER INTO system components by compressed air. You really cannot control where excess "tacky dust" will fly (all over the place!) and "chunks" of semi-conductive residue can end up in your cardbus or mem slots or on your PSU coils, etc.

I can see (as a LAST STEP) using LP compressed air (30psi) ... IN CONJUNCTION with a proximate vacuum, to blow any grime out of the HSF radiator fins and cpu/gpu fans.

So give the whole thing a good (FIRST) once-over with a soft brush vac attachment and THEN bring in some compressed air, right next to the vac nozzle.

... Or, if you are like me, just let it get dustier and dustier and NEVER clean it !

... Truthfully, ... I use Q-Tips and a smallish "stinger vac" and focus on perforated grates and fan blades and obvious HSF type clogging. Sometimes, the dust is better left un-disturbed. Really depends on the conditions and the environment.

Now, that may seem like a stupid answer ... But are there really no stupid questions ?

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Actually I would never use a vacum cleaner on PC electronics as it creates static electricity which will destroy your components. Use canned air or a low cost solution is a paintbrush and isopropyl alcohol solution.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Hey ... We are all happy that you would not use a vacuum ... and ... A rock can also cause static electricity ... prolly more than a vacuum (I am certified 3 different ways.)

Nobody can make you use a vacuum ... or make you eat broccoli ...

Your vac is no more threat to your PC than you are.

1) Aleays leave your PC PLUGGED IN to a properly grounded (three prong) electrical outlet. When you are asleep ... When it is on ... When you are swapping cables ... When it is off ... When you are playing games ... When you are on vacation ... AND ... *Especially* when the cover is off and you are poking around, in there. (working, cleaning, swapping, anything. So long as an active toddler is not playing in the room, or you are not moving the PC to another outlet, LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN !

Whenever the computer is plugged into a grounded outlet, the PC is GROUNDED.

2) WHENEVER YOU APPROACH THE PC ... ALWAYS TOUCH BARE METAL ON tHE CHASSIS ! Whenever you are going to touch the System Case, Reach over and touch the top corner of the back of the case (the "Chassis, Proper").
CONGRATULATIONS!, You have just equalized any charge differential between your body and "chassis ground". EFF EMM ("No Static At All"). Steely Dan.

3) Do not hold onto a "Van de Graaff" generator or a Tesla Coil while vacuuming your PC !

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/exhibitionist/generator.jpg

http://www.salrestivo.org/NikolaTesla.jpg

4) Now ... If your cargo shuttle has crash-landed on a frozen desert planet, where the humidity is less than 30%, and you are stuck in a cave (with your PC, coils and generators). and if your Jedi Frock is woven from the fine hairs of some exotic, alien goat species ... And, if you have been using the plastic wand extention of your cave-vac to practice your light-sabre skills and rubbing the wand all over your fuzzy frock, while also vacuuming the innards of your open PC (that is not plugged in), ... Well ... then ... You might have a static problem !

Today, (true) the largest solar flare ever recorded occurred ... and, also, a BIG lightning storm passed right over my head (also quite true) ... Now, I KNOW I SHOULD have unplugged my computer and my TV, when that storm blew over ... but I did not ... How could I watch the Weather RADAR ??

My TV and my PC both survived the day !

Nothing against the little green guy, tho ... really ... just that he seems a worry wart and, with a bare modicum of care and common sense, it is PERFECTLY SAFE to use a vacuum on your PC ... BUT ... If the hair on your little Jedi chest starts to stand up .... RUN !!!

rawraj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2012

I have used a vaccum before and luckily nothing happened. But the last time I used a vaccum my computer gave me intermittent problems I had to get a new one.
Both rams were faulty everything went for a six. Even the graphic card started giving problems. I had to sell them separately and got some money back but the rams came back.

That is why I am searching threads for air compressor.
So my friend be careful. I think it really depends on the weather, Maybe I was lucky pervious times the weather was not very favorable to static.

I am looking for people who have used air compressor before I got a great deal on this http://www.ebay.in/itm/271251229915?_trksid=p2059950.m2703.l17

Just want to know if it does the job I also got an extra 20% coupon on it :).
I don't know what to do with the tubless tyre repair kit though LOL.

As of now I take tube or make one with a paper put a cloth and blow hard to clean dust. I am never using a vac again. I am not sure if blowing air with the mouth is safe too.

darkscorpion20

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I have always used a vacuum on my computers and never had a single issue. I use a horse hair brush on a kirby, and as Alvin said, always leave it plugged in.

I could see how, depending on the vacuum or the brush, you may have varying results or problems. But just sharing my experience over many many years and no issues.