Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell 400 Xps with 37W psu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2010 5:27:25 PM

So, I bought a cheap ol' 60 buck nvidia Geforce GT 220. I removed the Geforce 6800 and it traded places with the GT 220 in electrostatic bag.

I installed the new drivers. Rebooted. Booyah. Loading up some videos, loaded up some Everquest maxed out the setting played for about 20-25 mins. Kept the game on went downstairs and game back.

The game was frozen and i moved 1 fram and then the system hung. I press the power button, on reboot I got the BSOD with message stating that Windows has stopped to prevent damage.

So, resolved this by booting safe mode. Uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers (i never uninstalled the geforce 6800 drivers the first time). Turn off antivirus, reinstalled GT 220 drivers. Reboot. Golden. I get past BSOD and log in watch Rihanna's new video to notice how Youtube doesn't flicker anymore. (Drivers are 196.21 for XP from nvidia, not the installation dvd).

Open Everquest. SSHHHRREEECCH. Everything comes screeching to a halt soon as it goes windowed mode, not even rendering any polygon's yet.

Well, after this freeze. I get BSOD With Stop Error. 0x000000000A5 or simulate. ACPI incombatible with BIOS. It proceeds to tell me to update my bios and or hardware-update.com which i can't visit in a BSOD. So...

Ultimately, my question is how do i resolve this and continue on working with this card? And/or can I support this card or must i go back to the Geforce 6800.

My comp:
Dell XPS 400
375 psu
2.8GHz Pent D
500 Gig exteral harddrive, headphones, and G15 keyboard in the usb ports.

Thanks in advance.

More about : dell 400 xps 37w psu

March 24, 2010 5:28:01 PM

Whoops double post.
a c 145 Î Nvidia
March 24, 2010 8:07:26 PM

Some of the older motherboards need an bios update to work with the newer cards.
Related resources

Best solution

March 24, 2010 9:12:18 PM

Ooh, I thought you had a 37W psu, Lol.

Also, you should try to return the GT 220, and save the money towards a new build/better card.
March 25, 2010 1:13:42 PM

Got that one in the works (I have a build in mind) but waiting on SATA-III, USB 3.0 and dx11 to be a little more mainstream. Probably should have waited for this card's drivers to be more mainstream, hahaha.

@rolli59. You know most of the problems since jump have all kinda pointed at needing newer bios. I believe that gonna mean i need to flash bios to get the card to work. Its dell dxp105 with phoenix BIOS ROM 1.10 A05. I think they've got newer stuff but i do not know what that gets me (besides a working video card).
a c 145 Î Nvidia
March 25, 2010 10:49:03 PM

Bios updates are usually released to fix hardware bugs and add compatibility and recognition of newer hardware than was out on the release date of the motherboard.
April 5, 2010 3:08:44 PM

Card was broken. RMA'd it will respond short with the replacement.
April 12, 2010 4:52:12 PM

Best answer selected by bomjus.
n
nEdit: Update - replace card works great with my dated system but does have Gamma correction issues with certain games still playable just gets and light and dark sometimes when loading.
!