New PC build $2000 willing, Or whatever is necessary.

sturticles

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next Month. Sooner the better as i do need it.

BUDGET RANGE: I live in Australia, but US dollars are closer to AUS dollar more than ever now, so it should be pretty accurate. I suppose around $2000 i'm Willing to spend. Want best bang for buck in most places though.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Okay, so i will be working in 3D software packages including Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox. 3D rendering.
Pretty much everything ADOBE CS4. GAMING is also important for this rig. HD movie playback and rendering, (after effects, premiere pro etc) umm.
All the other usual stuff, internet etc. But as you can see it needs to be powerful for my work.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Dont need monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers. OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Maybe purchase from the US as they are cheaper than here in Australia. I guess newegg would be good, i need to get some information on 3rd party shipping though, (it may cost too much to ship so possibly purchase in australia) Know any?. Ebay is good. I also may get prices from locals over here.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU. Other parts, i actually don't know much about certain brands, so no preference in terms of Asus, gigabyte etc etc.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080x1920 HD. Possibly have multiple moniter setup in the future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Powerfull..

Parts:

So i've obviously come here because i need some help and suggestions with parts and if something won't work or what not.

Intel i7 920 or 930. these CPU's seem to be the most popular, price and performance i think are considered best bang for buck. In terms of how much i want to spend on performance. These cpus can also overclock well as i hear, so i will want to overclock for more performance.

Motherboard - Another thing to note is that i am not a crazy PC builder that will upgrade all the time, in fact this will be the first build it yourself PC for me. So i sort of want to be fairly future proof. With that said, a new motherboard that supports USB 3.0 and sata 6gbps is something i think i should get now. Unless you can convince me otherwise. Moving a bit forward, i think i want crossfire support so its also future proof. What kind of boards can you recommend? And what other information should i provide?

GPU- Okay, so i've waited so long for the new nvidia fermi to come out.. Which was a mistake in my opinion, because it didn't really do anything for me.. Which is why after 6 months i think i'm going to still stick with a ATi 5850, what do you guys think?
Tessellation and DX11 is also just a new feature i want to have. The 5850 then, is probably the price vs performance for what i need.. If need be, i can always get another 5850 and hit up crossfire down the track..
Someone with 2 5850's that i asked said he sort of wished he just bought the 5970 to begin with. I'm not sure why, its more expensive (here it australia at least, if i look online briefly, the 5850 can be had for $350 and the 5970 is at around $900.)
Can someone perhaps explain to me why? Dont 2 5850's perform better than a 5970 anyway? Plus you have money left over, (maybe not much in US?). Anything apart from bragging rights..??

RAM - I read that in terms of performance, there is not a GREAT deal difference when it comes to comparing the speed and timings of Ram.. But again, i don't know heaps about this stuff. What do you guys think i would need?

Case, PSU, Cooling, Harddrive, CD/DVD drive.

These things i haven't looked into as much as other parts. Please i would like your recomendations. Note, i suppose i will be overclocking a fair bit. So some pretty good stuff may be required to keep it cool.
Hard drive. With the new interfaces, usb 3 and sata 6gbps. What kind of hard drives are best for running your OS and other software on? Come and list some.

Thanks to you if you've read this far. I hope you can help me in my first building a PC attempt. Please recommend products.

Here's my standard $2,000ish build, with extra RAM (based entirely on US prices...):

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $575. The 930 is an improved 920, and they cost about the same. The board is extremely high quality and very future proof.
RAM: 2x G.Skill Pi 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $380
GPU: HD 5970 $700. The 5850 is very weak for your budget. This is literally the best card on the market. I do think you should reconsider the new nVidia cards, as they are historically better for renderin/workstation activites. If gaming was your only priority for the GPU, the 5970 would be perfect. The reason the 5970 is better than two 5850s is that technically the 5970 is two 5870s on one card, only downclocked to the speeds of 5850s. Also, you still have the option of adding a second 5970 down the road.
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $85. New HDDs that actually use SATA III don't exist yet. The SATA III drives aren't any faster and quite a bit more expensive.
PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $190 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $80 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $22
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35 (with free card reader)

Total: $2,067

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
This is going to be a very ugly, "quick-n-dirty" cut-n-paste from my two carts ... One at tiger.com and the other at newegg.com.

The PNY 9800GT-EE cards (one or, better, two of these ... not available at newegg).
Price: $105.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=P56-9824

These 28" LCDs are perfect for edit workspace ... get two or don't get any.

I-Inc iH-282HPB 28" Class Widescreen LCD Monitor - 1920 x 1200, 15000:1 Dynamic, 16:10, 3ms, VGA, HDMI
Price: $319.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=H94-2804

Everything else comes from newegg . . . This is where the formatting gets ugly.
In no particular order . . .

KINGWIN 15.74" SATA Data & Power combo cable Model SAC-04
Item #: N82E16812226004
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $2.99
select item 2 quantity of item 2

BYTECC 18" Serial ATA-150/300 Cable w/Locking Latch Model SATA-118C
Item #: N82E16812270093
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $2.89

NEWEGG QUOTE INCLUDES TWO OF THESE
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
($89.99 each)

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128435
$139.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
Item #: N82E16817139005
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$30.00 Instant
$89.99

Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Item #: N82E16826104178
$39.99

SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA
Item #: N82E16820300608
$12.99

SIIG 3 Ports FireWire 800 PCIe Card Model NN-FW0012-S1
Item #: N82E16815150151
$49.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-8GBRM
Item #: N82E16820231329
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $249.99

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGMBOX
Item #: N82E16819103727
$180.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116758
$139.99

SONY Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 Pro Pack
Item #: N82E16832135216
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy -$35.00 Instant
($94.95 each)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ...
Item #: N82E16835103065
$34.99

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820167023
$224.99

(CASE & DVDR COMBO DEAL)

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129066
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
Item #: N82E16827151188
-$10.00 Combo
$96.98
$86.98

============
Subtotal: $1,536.64
============

Calculate ShippingZip Code: . FedEx 3Day Express Saver -- $139.37FedEx 2Day -- $201.20FedEx Standard Overnight -- $237.95UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service -- $32.52UPS 2nd Day -- $112.68UPS Next Day Saver -- $123.96 GO Shipping: $32.52

Grand Total: $1,569.16

SO ... WITH THE TWO 9800GT-EE GPUs, (NO MONITORS) ... SHIPPED TO AUSTIN, TX. ... THE COMPLETE, "KITCHEN SINK" BUILD COSTS . . .

~~ $ 1,782.00 (INCLUDING Win7-64 AND A $95 copy of VEGAS)

That's it ... mix-n-match !!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
What ? . . . 80% of the performance for 50% of the cost ?

You would have to OC the 2.8Ghz 930 fairly maximally to reach the STOCK 3.4GHz of the 965.

My build also includes a SCREAMING "system & apps" SSD .. 8GB RAM .. 2 respectable GPUs and supports up to 4 monitors on 550Watts (I spec'd 650Watts for GPU upgrd).
. . . not to mention often overlooked add-ons like more firewire ports and includes OS and extras ad-nauseum. Sometimes display real-estate can do more to boost productivity, as well as faster storage.

If you have completely mastered your tools and you use your system to earn an $86K engineering design salary ... If "the company" is paying ... sure ... Socket 1366.

Remember that, with CS4 "workstations", come some VERY expensive software tool-sets and extra peripherals (which are included in MY build ... maxed out, for WAY less) !

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And,

Radeons are *completely* inappropriate for CS4 builds !

Sorry, Sir, ... Show me *ONE* CS4 or AVID or BORIS or ACAD turnkey build that specifies RADEON ... They DO NOT EXIST !

nVidia 9800GT-EE or 250GT or QuadroFX ... 2 cards if possible ... that is the way to go and there are reasons for that, not the least of which (last I heard) to be CUDA and OpenGL3.x implementation and compatibility. NO-body that I know of (no pro developer) specifies ATi for graphics builds.

Will a Radeon work? ... For graphics? ... ATi (*if* they can hack it) SHOULD sponsor some head-to-head benches with CS4, ACAD, AVID, AFX, LightRoom, 3D motion titles and graphics renders ... Have never seen or heard of such ... enlighten us !

= just funnin', here =

Please tell me your joking. You can't just stick to the number blindly. If you looked at any benchmark, you'd see the i7s drastically out perform the X4 955/965. The hyperthreading of the i7 alone makes it much more of a computational monster.

You obviously missed the part where my build had 12 GB of RAM.

As for not having a SSD, I prefer to recommend something that actually increases performance over something that only makes it appear to be faster. SSDs are useful, just not at $3/GB.

You also apparantly missed the fact that I fit an i7-930 under the budget. And that the OP didn't state anything about needing the extra crap. And if the OP did need it, I could make a single adjustment (5970 to a 5870 or 5850) and fit all of that in AND still be a more powerful build.

EDIT: You also missed the part where the OP stated he wanted an ATI card, and I stated that he should reconsider that as nVidia cards are better for workstations.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
The compute core is certainly arguable and I laud the 12GB !!!

Your choice for GPU doesn't just suck .. it is plain "not advisable"
A simple search for "CS4 turnkey", at B&H (leading pro-supplier) yeilds . . .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=cs4+turnkey&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

I see lots of 9800GT-EEs ... Lots of QuadroFX ... Even a Mattrox ... BUT NO ATi ...

... Shall I repeat this same search at pro sites, all over the web? ... same results !!

Regarding "all that other crap" ... The OP may have overlooked the need or importance.

SSD? Now ... your statements are either uninformed or mis-leading ... which ?

= Alvin =

Again, I pointed out that ATI is not advisable for this type of build. And the ATI preference was leading me to believe it's more of a gaming build than a rendering build (hence my questioning in the first post).

And my SSD statements are spot on. They're fast, but they're brand new technology. They don't actually speed up the computations of the computer (CPU, GPU or otherwise), they just make the loading of files/programs faster. Given the massive premium for them at this point, I cannot recommend them when there are better things to spend the money on (like the awesome CPU and more RAM). Had the OP's budget been $2,300, I would have thrown in a SSD in a heartbeat.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I am not ragging on YOUR knowledge or your method and I now admit that I did not "listen" very well to you or the OP (Sir) ...

... I'll say this, tho ... If this is coming out of pocket and the system is not generating copius cash flow, then definately DO go with MY build ... 965+8GB ain't no slouch!

... Purely for LONG OUTPUT RENDERS ... yeah ... a well cooled 930 with 12GB will demolish my build ... but I expect the 965 will devastate the render times of my previous P4 by an even greater margin. More LCD real-estate (more/bigger LCDs) should not be under-rated, for creative productivity sessions ... nor should SSDs.

My final build will have 3 SSDs and 2 HDDs ... to optimize task-specific pipelining.
... The 930 would (guessing) prolly cut your render times by 30% but the extra/larger LCDs and SSDs *will* streamline your typical creative workflow sessions ... kick off that BIG render before you go to lunch ... or just before you go to sleep.

= Alvin =

The i7-930 at stock would devastate the X4 955/965. Heck, it would beat an overclocked X4 while at stock too.

While the points about the LCDs and SSDs MAY be true, they're also things that can be changed easily after the final build for very little cost. The same is not true for the CPU. To get better render times over the X4 955 (which is the same chip as the 965), you'd need to spend $725 for the i7-930, X58 board and the extra 2 sticks of RAM (total of 12 GB, 6x2 GB), not counting the $100 for a new OEM copy of Windows. Seems to me that it'd be better to invest in those performance changes now and add the other "would be nice to have" items over time.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

And, on the other side of the same coin ...

Why go "ALL IN" on an X58/930 now, when INTEL has not even bothered to provide PCIe2.0 bandwidth on crucial PCIe x4 and x1 lanes ?? ....

This AM3 board will get me ~2 years down the road, in good style, with FULL cadbus bandwidth and I can invest in ALL those other factors and components that make a real difference in everyday workload ... full backups will be faster ... I can fully exploit extral FW800 ports and slot-drives and capture cards that INTEL simply cannot saturate with PCIe1.1.

At the end of two years, this AM3 mobo will make a bichen HTPC, file/print server, home-office/homework system, or side-render system.

Most ALL of the components, including 3 sticks of 1600c7 and the HSF can migrate (respectably) to a more sensibly balanced and affordable INTEL build, when INTEL finally decides to make a REAL southbridge.

= Al =

What the hell are you talking about? It's the X58 chipset that doesn't restrict the bandwith on the PCIe 2.0 slots, not the AM3 chipset.

Intel already has a "bichen" HTPC board. It's called the H55, which when paired with the i3/i5 dual cores offers amazing integrated graphics. This creates a full HD HTPC for $100 less than any AMD option (due to the need of a GPU). Not only that, but the i3/i5 dual cores are also decent at rendering and other CPU tasks because of the hyperthreading, though not quite as good some of the higher end AM3 X4s.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Well, the 9800GT-EE has some very desirable features which I would like to share, in case you are unaware.

1) OpenGL3.0 (nVidia's implementation)

2) Cost is $105 (before substantial rebate) per card.

3) Uses 30% less power (75Watts max draw) but can be OC'd with higher fan speed)

4) TRUE SINGLE SLOT design (front to back) ... leaves ALL PCIe SLOTS OPEN! This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for pro-edit/graphics !!!!!!!!

5) DOES support SLI and combined CUDA compute support (DirectX10.1) & HDCP

6) Does NOT require 6-pin power (I would actually prefer it did use 6-pin)

7) MORE Quiet! ... low fan speed/noise helps for project studio voice-over recording.

8) Short card ... Fits any non-lo-profile ATX case. (& Older/smaller PSUs).

9) Also makes a very respectable gaming rig (x2-SLI/OC)

10) Two cards will support up to 4x ACTIVE 1920x1200/1080P mons and provide a FULL 2GB of dedicated GDDR3 memory, equally balanced. nVidia's multi-mon drivers are WAY better than Eyefinity, for ws apps.

11) nothing ... I just like the number "11"

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Begging your pardon, Sir. ... Am I not understanding this Tom's Hardware Article ???? !

Why go INTEL before they go PCIe3.0 ? (Or EVEN PCIe 2.0 !!)

** HOLD YOUR [CNTRL] key down while clicking this link !

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,2583.html

=QUOTE = >>

Bottlenecks And Solutions For USB 3.0 And SATA 6Gb/s
2:00 AM - March 24, 2010 by Patrick Schmid and Achim Roos

AMD vs. Intel?

For some reason, all Intel chipsets available today only support PCI Express 2.0 on the primary links that are used for graphics. This applies to the 4- and 5-series chipsets employing the ICH10 southbridge. While Intel claims PCI Express 2.0 support on those links, it limits throughput to PCI Express 1.1-class performance. This is naturally a problem when we start looking at the latest high-speed motherboard-down controllers.

AMD, on the other hand, upgraded the link speeds on its 700- and 800-series chipsets, which means that current AMD mainstream and enthusiast chipsets don’t create bandwidth bottlenecks for high-speed add-on devices.

We took three P55 motherboards from Gigabyte and MSI that all come with different solutions to offer USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s connectivity. We analyzed SATA performance using Crucial’s new RealSSD-C300 and a Seagate Barracuda XT with support for the third-gen standard and found that not all solutions deliver ample bandwidth.

All AMD 700 and 800 chipsets (both northbridge and southbridge) fully support PCI Express 2.0, while Intel’s PCIe 2.0 support is limited to the northbridge/processor-based interface (the company continues claiming PCIe 2.0 support on platforms like P55, despite the 2.5 Gb/s limitation). This is why it's unlikely you'll encounter bandwidth bottlenecks on AMD platforms.
. . . .
===== END QUOTE (but the article goes ON and ON and ON ... =======

1.) 470/480 supports 3.2
2.) Got me there...
3.) More power balances the power consumption
4.) Debatable if those extra slots are really needed
5.) Same with the 470/480, but with DX 11
7.) Nothing anywhere said about voice recording needed, so it doesn't really matter. Also, this can be minimized with good cases.
8.) Doesn't matter if you buy a good case.
9.) Only when used in multiple card solutions, and then the cost is not a good thing, nor is the power requirement, heat or the single slot "advantage".
10.) Dedicated memory isn't as important as you would think, especially since the 470/480 have DDR5 memory. And drivers can be fixed at any time.

On the drivers, obviously you missed the massive deal nVidia had where a new driver turned computers into bricks. So the whole "nVidia has better drivers" thing is totally destroyed right now...

EDIT: That point on PCIe 2.0 is moot. Right now, the only great use of PCIe 2.0 slots is graphics, which Intel does better. Also, it appears the testing was done on the P55 chipsets, not the X58, but I can't be certain as the link doesn't work.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
WELL, I injected my comments into the body of your text ... point-by-point, below . . .

OH, BROTHER ! ... That DID happen (a temporary issue) while nVidia's LONG STANDING and VERY FRIENDLY multi-mon support is not debated by ANY knowledgable graphics pro. .. You are clouding the issues simply to make me seem less correct. It is EYEFINITY that SUCKS, IS FULL OF BUGS AND CAN ONLY BE DRIVEN BY ONE CARD (the primary GPU) and is not compatile with "squat" ... But ATi is very much aware and are committed to working out these issues ... IN COMING DECADES !!! [:bilbat:7]

WHAT ABOUT #11 ?? Huh? ... Well ?? ... Cat got your toungue (Sir)?

= :non: =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

It will be a gaping sore within 6 months. ALREADY, INTEL forces you to disable features, in order to enable others, due to lack of bandwidth.

Sorry that link didn't work ... very convenient, ATM ... I suggest you search on it ... by author, if need be. THIS SHORTCOMING DOES INCLUDE X58 !!

ONE MORE TIME !!! AND, I *DO* QUOTE: >>>>>>>>>>>>

Bottlenecks And Solutions For USB 3.0 And SATA 6Gb/s
2:00 AM - March 24, 2010 by Patrick Schmid and Achim Roos

AMD vs. Intel?

For some reason, **all** >Intel< chipsets available today **only** support PCI Express 2.0 on the primary links that are used for graphics.

**** >>> This applies to the 4- and 5-series chipsets employing the ICH10 southbridge. While Intel claims PCI Express 2.0 support on those links, it limits throughput to PCI Express 1.1-class performance. This is naturally a problem when we start looking at the latest high-speed motherboard-down controllers.

AMD, on the other hand, upgraded the link speeds on its 700- and 800-series chipsets, which means that current AMD mainstream and enthusiast chipsets don’t create bandwidth bottlenecks for high-speed add-on devices.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

= Al =

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
can i just interupt here? you two are turning this into a flame thread. Its obvious mad admiral is a intel fanboy and alvin smith is a amd fanboy. why don't you stop fighting and let the person who started the thread actually decide what he wants. you two fighting is not going to help him. i mean your both trying to shove something down his throat. its his money not alvin's or admiral's. so both of you calm down.

No, that wouldn't be obvious that I'm an Intel fanboy. Becasue I'm not an Intel fanboy. I'm for whatever part is best. In fact, I recommend AMD builds WAY more often than I do Intel builds. I am of the opinion that unless you're spending over $1,500, Intel is a bad choice UNLESS you have some specific needs (i.e. hardcore rendering and other CPU intensive tasks). And at a certain point, the cost savings of an AMD build aren't needed.

As far as not helping the OP, I'm trying to keep the facts straight here, not trying to confuse the OP. It's a good idea to get all of the facts out there and where they matter (i.e. a shared feature CANNOT be a determining factor among choices).

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

This is NOT a flame war !! I have THE VERY HIGHEST RESPECT FOR THE ADMIRAL !

This is just good clean fun AND it is VERY important stuff ! It is important to the OP and to both "The A" and to myself.

The OP surely WILL decide and it IS his money! Both the Admiral and myself are VERY committed to ensuring that the OP does not waste money (unless he wants to).

The next time I meet the Admiral on a pro-graphics thread, I expect the flames will not be very high. He is (almost) Always right and these are mostly philosophical and budgetary disputes which only arise due to our lack of knowing the OPs exact intentions and life-style.

This whole thing started because we (as sometimes happens) both posted drastically different builds, simultaneously. If either of us had come into this thread any later, things would likely appear more civil.

I have been doing a lot of very intensive and specific research into Video-Edit (post production) systems, of various budgets, just lately so, I am challenging my own conclusions, with the Admiral as a most worthy "advesary".

This is all GREAT for the OP, great for us, and great for the community, at large, because these points and issues must be debated, clarified, corrected, if the customer is to be best served ...

This conversation (these issues) has changed, just lately, and will continue to do so. You see, I read this ONE article (quoted) which kind of contradicts the staus quo of "common opinion".

This is an important "fight" (debate) ... which SHOULD happen, for everybody's sake. If I am truly wrong, here ... I NEED TO KNOW IT FOR SURE ... same with the Admiral. We want the best dope we can get.

= Al = (most respectfully ... as I am SURE you know).

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And, I came in here (this forum), not that long ago and *I* was DETERMINED to build a Socket 1366 system for Video-Edit & Render ... I have built 100s of computers, including a dozen of my very own and NEVER ONCE even entertained the thought of going the AMD route (that's for kids and gamers!) . . .

Well, MadAdmiral and Short-Stuff and gKay and SO many other great techs have changed my mind with facts and benches and simple common logic. Mac Admiral was, yes, "key" in getting me to take a much closer look at AMD ...

... I have become a MONSTER ! *** I am a fanboy of "more-for-less", whenever possible.

= Al =