Replacing HDD in Sony Vaio PCG-R600HEK aka PCG-R505TSK in US

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2004 2:05:05 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

I think the hard disk in my Vaio laptop is about to fail. It's a few years
old, so I guess replacing it will be down to me.

So, a few questions:

1. What hard disks will it take? And what maximum size in GB?
2. How easy it to change? Any diagrams or instructions anywhere?
3. Is there anywhere in London that'll do it for a reasonable price if it is
a bit tricky?

Cheers,

Fred.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2004 2:05:06 AM

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>1. What hard disks will it take? And what maximum size in GB?

I put a Fujitsu MHT2080AT (80 gig) drive in my R505TS a while back,
and it went pretty well. I did have to grind down part of the
protruding plastic from the touchpad assembly to get it to fit, but
that wasn't difficult. It's a 'standard' 9.5mm drive, dunno why it
was just a little bit bigger than the stock drive that came with
it....

>2. How easy it to change? Any diagrams or instructions anywhere?

Remove the eight marked-with-an-arrow screws from the bottom, move the
keyboard back out of the way, remove the wrist rest, and the rest is
pretty trivial. Hint: The non-drive end of the connector cable plugs
into the board, it's a lot easier to get the cable assembly off if you
unplug it from the board first.

Takes maybe 1/2 hour if you know what you are doing, maybe twice that
if you don't have alot of experience.
!